Acer Extensa 5420 'Invalid System Disk' HELP!!!

ashesinyourhair

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
It all started when I decided to restart my computer when the sound seemed to go AWOL. So I restart, and I get "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable." and "Operating system not found." So I try to recover with something called Super Grub Disk, and when that doesn't exactly go as planned, I restart and get nothing but "Invalid system disk, Replace the disk, and then press any key." Over and over and over. What should I do? Acer Extensa 5420 definitely has its assortment of shortcomings, but this is ridiculous! It did take a trip on an airplane this past week, if that info is any useful.

ashesinyourhair

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Anyone? I'm pretty desperate here! I should also note that the laptop runs Windows Vista Home, 32bit, and I don't have a Vista CD since it was preinstalled. I don't have any recovery disks other than Super Grub Disk and this Ultimate Boot Disk thing I just burned onto a CD.

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
You probably killed the Vista boot loader by using the Grub disk (why?), Acer should have provided you with some method of restoring the OS (recovery disk/partition/whatever) if you don't have anything, contact Acer.