• Sound Cards
  • Products
  • Creative
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
March 30, 2008 2:05:47 AM

Hey people, check this out!

If I were you, I wouldn't buy Creative products ever again after this. I know I won't. If you are also annoyed then drop by on their forum and leave a note.

More about : creative fscks customers

March 30, 2008 2:12:11 AM

levicki said:
Hey people, check this out!

If I were you, I wouldn't buy Creative products ever again after this. I know I won't. If you are also annoyed then drop by on their forum and leave a note.

Lol, I'd boycott them, but I don't buy any expensive sound cards to begin with. It's not a graphics card. Can human ears even hear the difference? :p 
March 30, 2008 2:40:42 AM

Sometimes yes. Better cards usually have better signal to noise ratio. And most motherboard sound chips do not properly implememt EAX which can generate strange artifacts in games.

Conversely, CPU utilization is not as important since multicore CPU's have become so common. And sometimes, "good enough" really IS good enough.
Related resources
March 30, 2008 3:00:20 AM

lol. It's a pretty funny read. I knew creative didn't give a crap when they didn't have working vista drivers, and never bothered fixing it. And, of course, having over priced sound cards pretty much kept me away (my last card was the SB Live!-not supported). I'm sticking with either on-boards or a sound card that is NOT by creative.
March 30, 2008 3:23:52 AM

My Creative boycotting starts today. Join up!
March 30, 2008 3:40:16 AM

Creative kinda have a point tho...
The guy is essentially taking THEIR intellectual property, changing it and profiting from it.

Not sure what the exact laws are, but im pretty sure the usual way of handling this is sending a cease and desist letter from a local friendly litigator.

Creative are obviously looking at releasing a new series of 'improved hardware vista capable sound cards' rather than make drivers for existing cards, forcing people to abandon perfectly good h/ware and UPGRADE.... YAY!!!

Its a business decision, and its their choice. They can choose to build, market and sell their products any way they want.

We can choose to buy elsewhere.
March 30, 2008 4:03:57 AM

I agree with what you are saying mrmez.
Not that i like Creative more after that ;) 
March 30, 2008 4:17:26 AM

@ mrmez, true true..........
March 30, 2008 4:19:20 AM

The Xfi is my last card from them, I will get Asus now.
March 30, 2008 4:30:50 AM

It's a donation, those who decide to send the creator $$ are not paying for the product itself but for the time and effort spent on the drivers. Thus i find it ridiculous to say that he is profiting from the product, something like profiting from others generosity is much more accurate.
March 30, 2008 4:33:03 AM

Welp, I'm glad I grabbed the drivers for my Audigy2ZS for when I put vista on my desktop before they were deleted. :/ 

They really should've just sent him a cease/desist, first. Maybe even offered him a job at creative labs.
March 30, 2008 4:37:48 AM

Ill wait until April 1st and see what happens.
maybe we will get a "Creative Aprils fools joke!" thread, and we all will
just sit back and laugh... and laugh... and laugh...
March 30, 2008 5:27:34 AM

WOW....thats makes my decision harder for my next sound card...

Did they ever get working Audigy 2zs drivers?
March 30, 2008 5:38:18 AM

If you mean "work", yes. for Windows XP 32bit! :) 
with the occasional "Squeal of Death" (C) Creative Labs
with EAX and ASIO drivers.

March 30, 2008 6:06:31 AM

I don't base my decision on what to purchase base on such article. There is very little information to pass judgement on such article. I have no issue with the position of the creative representative base on the limited information on concerned article.

If i have to invest for PC sound card to replace my on-board sound card, The first choice is creative...
March 30, 2008 6:20:20 AM

It's ASUS sound cards for me!!!!
Or maybe HTOmega Striker 7.1.
March 30, 2008 6:26:14 AM

I use an Creative X-Fi Platinum card with front bay drive,and I use Vista 64bit Ultimate,and Ive never had a problem with their drivers.After reading a similar post a few weeks back about onboard sound vs a sound card,I tried it.I run an ASUS P5NT-Deluxe,needless to say,its onboard sound pales in comparison.Someone post a link to show where onboard sound beats Creative X-Fi series cards,if such a motherboard exists?
March 30, 2008 6:31:21 AM

Strobeflux said:
If you mean "work", yes. for Windows XP 32bit! :) 
with the occasional "Squeal of Death" (C) Creative Labs
with EAX and ASIO drivers.

I have no problems with XP for either my Live or Audigy 2zs(with the latest drivers creative offered), I was referring to vista...more so the 64 bit one...
March 30, 2008 6:35:17 AM

Creative just committed corporate suicide.
March 30, 2008 6:48:30 AM

639 posts and counting...ouch...
March 30, 2008 7:39:45 AM

when i got my x-fi and tried to install vista on my rig, it didnt work...then when i installed xp, i got the card to work, but the sound crackles, you hear little popping sounds, etc. the only way to get rid of that is to take out the front bay that comes in VERY handy sometimes...so i had to mod my sound card to plug my front panel audio and mic into the sound card...yeah...it was such a pain in the A$$ that after my whole ordeal with this piece of crap card, i've been done with creative for months...i havent recommended a creative product to anyone in a very long time.
March 30, 2008 8:05:25 AM

Hehe, thats too funny. Good job on the editing. Did you do a screen shot of the movie and edit from there?...
March 30, 2008 8:05:30 AM

Yeah I dropped Creative a while back and I am glad I did, their drivers are just god awful, much happier with the card I have now.
March 30, 2008 8:12:50 AM

Yea i own an audigy 2 zs currently, but will not buy another sound card from them or any other product for that matter. This is borderline pathetic imo.

Best,

3Ball
March 30, 2008 8:34:44 AM

I have had thier sound cards in all of my systems for the last 8 years and I will definitely be watching to see how they handle this. Fortunately for creative and myself, I dont have room for a pci sound card for all of my video cards anyway on my current system.

This puts a bad taste in my mouth and I will tell my friends to spread the word...
March 30, 2008 8:55:21 AM

My response is right below yours 3ball, it unfortunate these people cant get their heads out, Ill not be buying creative in any form in the future
March 30, 2008 9:01:11 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
My response is right below yours 3ball, it unfortunate these people cant get their heads out, Ill not be buying creative in any form in the future

Yea man I just saw that you had posted there (glad to see a familiar name). I posted a thread over at anandtech as well to spread the word some more.

Best,

3Ball
March 30, 2008 9:08:16 AM

Unfortunately it's not the only problem with this company. Take the s750 soundsystem for example. They break down sooner or later due to bad design and creative just ignores the matter. I asked them if I could buy (!) a replacement amp unit from them since I really like the system and they basically told me to shove the system up mys and buy new one. And talk about support - INEXISTENT. Replacement software once you lose the CD? Screw that. Those guys really are on the lower scale of corporate scum in my opinion. (Yes I am VERY mad at them)
March 30, 2008 9:18:57 AM

I logged into my old account and posted on thier forum. It will be interesting to see if they try to stick to the red tape or salvage what they can of thier customer base.

I had a 5.1 Creative 6600 series speaker set and it suddenly quit working and its still on my bookcase shelf (what for who knows other than the 130.00 I paid for them 6 years ago). I tried to order a replacement controller for it and was screwed as well.

The idea they have IS to buy a new product. I did and it wasnt theirs.
March 30, 2008 9:35:11 AM

I'm sorry here.

Whether the guy was trying to help or not.

Trying to make a profit or not.

Whether you like Creative here or not, the guy (moderator) did have a point.

He is essentially stealing their hardware and slightly tweaking Creatives (quote: awful) drivers and profiting from it.

Whether they are features Creative chose to implement or not, for whatever reason, the moderator has a point.

However, they should still give the guy a job.
March 30, 2008 10:08:20 AM

We all know the ever ongoing problems from Creative concerning drivers. I guess it just doesnt end at driver support seeing the above posts. I pointed out in a later post that we are the ones that buy their products, and OEM isnt keeping the butter on the bread so to speak. I know that its their IP, and it should be protected. And this Ken should be writing their drivers. The callousness being shown here in a public forum is suicide for Creative, IP rights and all.
March 30, 2008 10:19:58 AM

I'm sure the guy is making less then if Creative would pay him the average salary to make these drivers anyway... So Creative is making money in a sense lol
March 30, 2008 11:05:34 AM

IP theft doesnt always mean u directly profit from it.
Causing a company to lose revenue (which is what creative are crying about) is just as bad legally.

The real problem here (IMO) is that a solution to fix their dodgey drivers DOES exist, creative are not implementing the fix as im sure they have a plan fore new 'vista capable' h/ware, and will surely make more money off that.

Releasing purposely buggy products so people will be forced to upgrade for years... can anyone spell microsoft??

This practice is not new, companies usually do a much better job of hiding it tho.

Creative should take a look at nvidia/ati for example. Here are successful h/ware and driver companies. They have sorted themselves out and just about encourage 3rd party drivers, hoping some geek can unlock some more performance in their h/ware. The company doesnt have to pay said geek, and they get free brownie points as their h/ware increases in popularity. Just like Intel C2D chips and how well they OC.

Mr Intel doesnt cry when i oc my 1.8Ghz e4300 to 3Ghz, not paying for the extra Ghz. He knows that i will tell all my friends, every1 on the net, and i will buy these chips for the rest of my life... which i will.

You cant buy publicity like that.
March 30, 2008 12:12:12 PM

If he did it for free I don't think Creative would care as much...
March 30, 2008 1:16:26 PM

My friend bought some refurbished speakers from creative. The subwoofer stopped working, so he sent them back to creative for repair. When he got them back "fixed", they still had the problem, and had a new dent on the side of the subwoofer from poor shipping on creative's side.
March 30, 2008 1:17:47 PM

he did - no one was obligated to pay him if they downloaded the drivers, it was simply generosity
this whole thing doesn't really affect me - im too cheap to buy more than the integrated sound :p 
March 30, 2008 1:20:52 PM

I never really liked that creative to begin with ever since I discovered there crappy support for my audigy z2. (got it from dell). When i went to install there driver post on the website it crashed my system and ended up using the drivers posted on dells support site. This is public suicide for them I was considering a x-fi 5.1 pci-e for my next build i guess I will be looking else ware.
March 30, 2008 3:04:42 PM

Years ago, Creative had a virtual monopoly in the sound card market. Now, they're not quite a historical footnote yet, but already considered the gaint of yeasterday. They went into other markets, like mp3, but it's not doing well either. The company and associated brand is slowly dying. It's natural. Let it die. :p 
March 30, 2008 3:53:52 PM

Stop bullying creative about **** and talk about this **** that has just happened.
March 30, 2008 4:05:49 PM

ZOldDude said:

Post of the day!!!
March 30, 2008 4:24:52 PM

^ Agreed. [:turpit:2] for ZOldDude

Zorg said:
Creative just committed corporate suicide.

Well said.
March 30, 2008 4:27:43 PM

jonisginger said:
However, they should still give the guy a job.

Agreed. Its a shame that this guy was basically offering good/better drives for free/ low cost than the well paid developers at Creative.
March 30, 2008 5:24:59 PM

From al that I've read so far, Creative has good legal grounds for what its doing. It developed various lines of sound cards, wrote drivers for them (however good or bad is not the point) and someone is using their property for personal gain. Worse, that person developed a real "In your face" attitude and had the nerve to advertise his theft on Creative's own website. Whether or not his version of drivers is better is beside the point. He has no legal right to use them, develope them, or distribute them, whether for profit or not. As for the battle with ASUS, if ASUS is modifying Creative's drivers without license to do so, then it is legally in the wrong as well. But that is a separate case and I'm sure no one here knows the particulars of it. I know I don't.

I've used sound cards from a number of companies through the past, so I have no interest in any boycotts, especially over sillyness such as this. I just want the best working product that I can find for my computer. Right now I use a Creative Fatal1ty Platinum with a front panel. It does the job well. I investigated Auzentech and its Prelude before I bought the Creative. Turned out that Auzentech's drivers are simply downgraded Creative drivers and that Auzentech has a worse reputation for company support than Creative, and that's beside the fact that its cards are more expensive and have no front panel. Yes, I like the front panel. Various other cards that I looked at had even worse support and/or driver problems.

If and when I find a card that does a better job than Creative's card, with better driver's and company support, I will then consider one of those cards. As for Creative's decision not to furnish support for its older cards, that's Creative's decision, not yours, mine, or anyone else's. Other companies don't bother giving support for their older products either, such as Microsoft not supporting Win 95 and 98. Time passes and products go into history books.
March 30, 2008 5:33:58 PM

If no one has seen this there’s now a petition to demand that Creative provide better driver quality, stop selling mislabeled products, leave Daniel_K alone and support open source development.

Please see http://www.petitiononline.com/crtvlabs/petition.html

Best,

3Ball
March 30, 2008 6:07:49 PM

Quote:
You are all a bunch of douchebags and this is why:

A third party has absolutely NO RIGHT to produce software (drivers) for hardware that is NOT theirs and collect money for it! The X-fi cards are the sole property of Creative, and if they do not want them to work with <fill in the blank operating system or hardware>, then too bad!

Exactly, though I don't know about douchebag part. Might be insulting to real douchebags. :ouch: 
March 30, 2008 6:32:18 PM

If I dont want their sub standard customer support, then too bad as well. This isnt the first time, thing, problem, BSOD, frustration, lackadasickle, half @$$3d, non complinat or innept totally arrogant thing from Creative to come by . This isnt the tip of the iceberg. This IS Creative. Sad isnt it?
March 30, 2008 6:42:49 PM

Yes, it "Is" Creative, and it is sad. I miss the old days when my Turtle Beach card provided everything I wanted. But I don't miss the speakers that I had back then.
      • 1 / 3
      • Newest
!