First TIme Building Comp, Need Help Picking a couple more components

dizzlle01

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
This is what I bought so far

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
MSI NX8800GT 512M OC GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX - Retail
LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DH-20A4P-04 - OEM

I need help picking out a motherboard, processor, heatsink/fan for cpu, and power supply.Im thinking of picking up
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail
# Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
and not sure on the power supply and fan.What I listed above is what I already ordered. Is the ram compatible with this motherboard and is it better if i bought another of this hard- drive for storage because I believe it runs faster if you store everything on another hard-drive other than the same hard drive as your operating system and applications.

akhilles

Splendid
If you don't overclock, go with e8400 + ds3l & use the stock cpu cooler. If you overclock, pick up a good cpu cooler like Scythe Infinity/Ninja, Tuniq, Typhoon, TRUE + 12cm fan, etc. and MX-2 instead of AS5 which is old & expensive. MX-2 is non electrical conductive & can be applied anywhere.

Where's the psu? Look at Corsair/Earthwatts 450W+.

Yup, it'll be a bit faster with 2 separate storage. You can scan for malware on C thoroughly while watching movies/listening to music on D or even scandisking D drive. If you raid 'em, it will be even faster.

Monsterpuff

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2008

HamRadio

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
join the newegg free email newsletter. over the past couple of months, almost everything you've listed has been on sale there with special promo codes you can't get anywhere else except the newsletter. (the promo codes usually give you $5-$40 off the sale price, or free shipping.)

yesbuy.net has the mx-2 TIM for $6.99+free shipping, but it takes them a month to send it to you.

dizzlle01

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
I plan on overclocking and the Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound is only a couple bucks on newegg. Im wondering if there is a good site out there that will teach you how to raid a hard drive.

dizzlle01

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
It was the last day for rebate for the ram. I was pretty sure i was picking up GA-P35-DS3L motherboard. SO is the ram im getting compatible because it doesnt say on newegg site.

HamRadio

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Probably it will work, but if you want to be technical, it is not actually on the list of approved memory for that board:
GA-P35-DS3L Approved Memory List

The corsair CL 5 2x1GB is on the list, but the 2x2GB is not.

Did they test it and it did not work? Probably not. There are a lot of memory sticks out there and they can't test all of them. Some current memory sticks probably did not even exist when they made that list. It doesn't mean it won't work, but the only way to know for sure is to try it or find someone else who has tried it. Totally a guess on my part but if I had to guess I would say there is a 99% chance it will work. Perhaps the gurus have more to say about that.

HamRadio

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Yes, it does support 8GB. That is not the point.

If you click the approved memory link in my previous post, you will see that each line is a different memory stick. the first column is the amount of memory per stick.

They list several 2GB sticks including a Kingston, nanya, and samsung. They just don't list the 2GB sticks YOU bought before checking the list. :)

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. I think the memory you bought, even though it is not listed, will work.

In the future though, do your research first. Buy things only after you are sure they are what you really want, not just because it is the last day of a sale. Memory chips are ALWAYS on sale somewhere, and for a similar price to what you paid, you might have been better off getting sticks with a lower cas latency or a better brand like crucial, or getting sticks on the approved memory list. Having said all that though, the memory you got is still very good memory.

akhilles

Splendid
AS5 is warmer & takes time to cure (to be fully effective). MX-2 is cooler & doesn't cure (effective immediately). Plus, MX-2 can be used on mosfets, etc. You do that with AS5 & kiss the mobo goodbye.

If the ram won't post, remove all but one closest to the cpu, enter bios to set up ram to specs, install the rest.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
That 4 pin plug on the motherboard needs to be occupied for it to boot. Looking at the pictures of your power supply, there should be a 4 pin connector in/near the same bundle as the 24 pin connector. The 6 pin connector from your power supply is for PCI-e video cards. Hope this helps.

dizzlle01

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
i took out my power supply and there is no plug at all. Ima head to frys tomororw and try to get another power supply. Wish me luck. Thanks for everyone help here.