• Radeon
  • Core
  • Management
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 13, 2008 4:31:21 AM

The core of RV770 will have 160SP*5=800SP

Or you can say 32US*5=160US (4D+1D)

Sadly, the RV770's management of SP will be as poor as RV670.

More about : rv770 detail accurate chiphell

March 13, 2008 2:15:03 PM

hang on so thats 320sp in the 3850 & 3870, and 800 for the rv770 !?! !?! !?

Listen kitty, the shaders look menacing on paper for the r600 & rv670, but the weak link is having just 16 TMUs. The shaders can only do as much as the rest of the chip can.
March 13, 2008 3:25:43 PM

That seems high for the RV770 and once again is a weird 2.5X number. I wonder the ratio. (regarding SP clusters)

I would say the RV670's SP management is quite good, but due to the composition of the SPs they need much more management than a more simple solution.

This should be an absolute MONSTER in the workstation market. If they make any FireGL versions even remotely close to launch there will be big changes in that market (which accounts for as much and often more business than the enthusiast market).

Spoon, the RV770 is rumoured to also increase the TMUs doubling (and potentially redesign like occured in the G86/92), the only thing staying the same is the ROPs and unlike the G8/9 design the ROPs are more limited function in the AMD chips, so that limitation will simply be for backend output like AF, and we see under low complexity the R6xx series has no problems with that. I'd like to see a slightly tweak ROP number but 16 at higher clocks should be fine.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 13, 2008 5:50:33 PM

spoonboy said:
hang on so thats 320sp in the 3850 & 3870, and 800 for the rv770 !?! !?! !?

Listen kitty, the shaders look menacing on paper for the r600 & rv670, but the weak link is having just 16 TMUs. The shaders can only do as much as the rest of the chip can.

RV770 will have at least 32TMU and 32ROP :p 
March 13, 2008 5:52:33 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
That seems high for the RV770 and once again is a weird 2.5X number. I wonder the ratio. (regarding SP clusters)

I would say the RV670's SP management is quite good, but due to the composition of the SPs they need much more management than a more simple solution.

This should be an absolute MONSTER in the workstation market. If they make any FireGL versions even remotely close to launch there will be big changes in that market (which accounts for as much and often more business than the enthusiast market).

Spoon, the RV770 is rumoured to also increase the TMUs doubling (and potentially redesign like occured in the G86/92), the only thing staying the same is the ROPs and unlike the G8/9 design the ROPs are more limited function in the AMD chips, so that limitation will simply be for backend output like AF, and we see under low complexity the R6xx series has no problems with that. I'd like to see a slightly tweak ROP number but 16 at higher clocks should be fine.

Hey man, it is confirmed that ATI will increase both TMU and ROP "An Awful Lot" :sol: 

March 13, 2008 5:58:25 PM

"Hey man, it is confirmed that ATI will increase both TMU and ROP "An Awful Lot" " - that would be awfuly good news what-ho theres a good chap run along now ginger and smythe are on the lawn playing croquet with some shine your shoes guvnor step-in-time marry poppins street children don't you know
March 13, 2008 7:07:57 PM

Whos gonna pay the electricity bills for 800 SPs?
Theyd better come up with a worthwhile architecture...
March 13, 2008 8:09:52 PM

xkm1948 said:
Hey man, it is confirmed that ATI will increase both TMU and ROP "An Awful Lot" :sol: 

Well that's good to hear, but not as necessary as the other rumours, hey it's like cherry gravy. [:mousemonkey]

I knew about the TMU rumour (would be nice if they up the count of the address units as well to improve the ratio to the filtering units similar to the improvements of the G84 and G92 over the G80), but the ROPs are a nice but far less important improvement IMO.

The main reason being that the ROP functionality is limited in the HD series of cards, and unlike the nV design is not relied upon for the AA resolve which is the heavy lifting part of AA under DX9 and some DX10, where in ATi's case it would be the SPs that handle that after running through the ROPs first. I think if they had a tight transistor budget I'd say keep the ROPs low (boost it to 6 [x4] if you want a PR match for the G80) but be sure you have enough SPUs and TMUs, let the 4 ROPs rely on their enhanced performance from just the clock boost expected.

However of course if your transistor budget allows for all of the above with an addition of 4 more ROPs for a total of 8, then great.

I'm also interested in seeing what if any minor tweaks they do underneath the surface, like changing the AF algorythm to meet or exceed the G8/9s, although that is a medium priority at best and likely low on a tight transistor budget. It's not like anyone really talks about AF quality much anymore and IQ discussions are based on outdated info most of the time so it may be low-low priority.

I would like to see more AVIVO-HD hardware tweaks the way nV uped their game a bit with the GF9600, and I think that would have more interest from most people going into the next generation now that the HD 'war' is somewhat settled, at least the physical media round, next the physical media vs download and streaming rounds.
March 13, 2008 8:15:38 PM

Ycon said:
Whos gonna pay the electricity bills for 800 SPs?
Theyd better come up with a worthwhile architecture...

The same people paying for the 640 in the X2s right now, and the even more monstrous electricity bills of SLi'ed 8800 GTX/Ultras and Xfired HD2900s.

And if they are as great as the HD3Ks while not doing heavy 3D who cares? You only pay for it when you need it, and most people don't mind paying $2/year in electricity cost per year for 20-50% more fps.

Also think about it, compared to the GF8800GTX and HD2900XT you likely would SAVE money over a whole year for all the time you run at idle or low power modes, all that and better performance.

Main concern would be peak power draw under load, that might crest back up to/paste the GF8800Ultra/HD2900XT, so you may need a better PSU if you didn't buy a robust enough one last time or are upgrading from something like an X1900/GF7900.
March 13, 2008 8:28:21 PM

^Agreed. You probably would need at least a 500W PSU. (Considering it is good quality and has enough amps on the +12 rails,etc)
March 13, 2008 8:35:41 PM

Shadow703793 said:
^Agreed. You probably would need at least a 500W PSU. (Considering it is good quality and has enough amps on the +12 rails,etc)

Yeah now imagine the potential of an R700 in Xfire on power draw! [:thegreatgrapeape]

That would be like an actual 500W draw for the cards alone (100 per chip +50 per card for memory etc seems realisitic under load), which IMO even a solid 1KW PC Power & Cooling PSU might stuggle with. Perhaps the 1.2K, but likely those 2K PSUs are showing up just in time for these ridiculous rigs we're bound to see in the summer/fall.

I just wonder what kind of draw they are taking from the wall, that's gotta max out most 15 amp circuit breakers and those wires are going to be pretty hot unless they're low guage.
March 13, 2008 8:40:17 PM

If I were to design a GPU I would start with like 900 stream processors, 200 ROPs, and have like 150TMU's and throw in a GB of Gddr7 ram for fun!
March 13, 2008 9:12:46 PM

Isnt that the specs for a transporter from the Enterprise?
March 13, 2008 9:41:07 PM

No it's either the specs for the infinite improbability drive in the Heart of Gold or the Dark Matter Drive in the Planet Express ship (which now has 2 of them). :sol: 
March 13, 2008 9:45:51 PM

LOL would the answer be 84 then? X2? heheh
March 13, 2008 9:46:22 PM

TheGreatGrapeApe said:
No it's either the specs for the infinite improbability drive in the Heart of Gold or the Dark Matter Drive in the Planet Express ship (which now has 2 of them). :sol: 

lol, i wish they still made new episodes of futurama
March 13, 2008 9:55:17 PM

There are new episodes, but they are going to be DVD releases only. "Bender's Big Score" was the first, and the next one is "Beast With A Billion Backs" which should arrive sometime in the summer.

Bender's Big score is supposed to be airing on the Comedy network sometime soon I think in "to be continued" chunks.
March 13, 2008 11:15:24 PM

TGGA is right about Futurama. . . In fact Comedy Central is already playing reruns of it, but I'm sure you die hard Futurama fans already have all 5 seasons :) 
!