Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4GB or Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB

Go with Crucial if you are an overclocker. You can find other brands price cheaper.
Go with 2x2GB if you are running Vmware, video editing or something like that. For normal uses 2x1GB is enough.

mychael616

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2007
I will add that I am running Windows Xp. Even though it will only recognize 3.2gb ram, does it matter if you have 2-2gb sticks or 2-1gb sets & 2-512mb sets (as it relate to performance & dual channel)???

You need:

1. A memory controller which supports memory swap functionality. The latest chipsets like Intel 975X, 955X, Nvidia NF4 SLI Intel Edition, Nvidia NF4 SLI X16, AMD K8 and newer architectures can support the memory swap function.

2. Installation of Windows XP Pro X64, Windows Vista 64, or other OS which can provide more than 4GB worth of address space. (Read: 64 Bit operating system)

Don't see why not, I've got an older P965 board and am running 4 sticks of 1 gigs. This is on a dual boot Xp Pro 32 bit / Vista 32 bit Business. Currently in XP and showing 3.40 available for program use. Don't need, nor plan on going the 64 bit route.

Added - If you look at specs, the board supports up to 8 Gigs of RAM

If you can accept that your computer won't address all of the RAM (you have a 32 bit OS), then that board will work fine. If you must show/use all 4GB, then you need to change to a 64 bit OS.

Scotteq - Not True, Computer will see all 4 gigs, AND a 32 bit operating system WILL address ALL 4 gigs, it is just that only 3.2 give or take .2 will be availible for program usage.

Please read:
www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm
support.microsoft.com/kb/929605

In General.
The MIMO's remapped to the top of the four gogs MAY (Do not know) resulat in a small performance boast. Programs/operating systems have to access this code NO MATTER where it resides. With less than 4 gigs, where does this code reside, in BIOS, or in swap file. A "Call" to bios or swap file would be slower than if in memory (ie Memory that was remapped to HiMem in the OLD Dos days - 604K -> 1 Meg).

Next question, Is there a peformance booast goning from a 4 gig 32 bit system to a 4 gig 64 Bit system, I think not. The real advantage of the 64 bit operating system is when MORE than 4 gigs is used, and then it is program specific.

THIS IS NOT a slam againts 64 bit OP systems. They have there place, and eventially majority will migrate there. However, Advocates should also admit it is not "the greatest thing since sliced bread" for every one. I for one (I'm the exception) would have to fork out about 2 grand to update Pre-XP orcad and another program - and this is not worth it.

badgtx1969

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Go w/ 2x2GB

The question really is red vs black tracers

Black doesn't have the 'ground effects" and has green LEDs, but can be found for $40-50 cheaper.

One for the philosopers: If your hardware sees 4GB. And your OS has 4GB of address space, but has to provide addresses to other things (CMOS, PCi buss, installed devices such as your video card(s), etc etc) *before* it provides addresses to the RAM... Does all the RAM get addressed??

I think not.

So your point boils down to word choice and semantics... The OP asked what it would take for his computer to display and use 4GB of RAM. I told him. No more. No Less.