Status
Not open for further replies.

DRMIKBRAN

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Hello to everyone,

Can anyone tell me "HOW TO SHOW ALL HIDDEN FILES" in Windows Explorer ( running WINXP .. SP3 ) I have been using PREVX as my backup virus protection for a one month trial period which has now expired It is still able to scan and show the virus location , but the expired trial will not delete it.... SO ..I then need to delete the virus manually , whether its hidden or not.

PROBLEM THEREFORE IS THIS .....
I know the virus is hidden in the system32 folder , but using Tools\folder options\view\show hidden files .... does not reveal the virus .. BUT I KNOW IT IS THERE , it is just not revealed by this method.

HOW DO I GET IT TO SHOW ??????

PS .... AVG PRO v 9.0 will not delete it either since it can not find the deeply hidden virus .... Thats why I use PREVX as a backup.

Solution

If you want to see everything, copy and paste the words in red below to Notepad.
"Save As" whatever filename you like and have the extension .reg, in notepad, use the "all files" as the filetype or it will save as a .txt file.
After it is saved, double-click it and answer yes to the question...
Boot into safe mode with networking. Download, install, and update malwarebytes. Then do a full system scan. Or you can right click on that system folder, and scan just that file. Make sure you're in safe mode with networking. That's important.

You may be getting a false positive from PREVX. If you've got a virus, malwarebytes should detect it.

DRMIKBRAN

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

Thanks aford10 ,

Tried safe mode with and without networking .... Note .. the virus is apparently in Windows explorer ... not in Internet Explrer ... and scanned as advised after down loading Malwarebytes latest version .... still no hidden virus found . You may be correct with " the false positive idea" ..
But if it is not a false positive I could soon have BIG problems ...Watch this space for updates,
Was worth a try ... TA very much

If you want to see everything, copy and paste the words in red below to Notepad.
"Save As" whatever filename you like and have the extension .reg, in notepad, use the "all files" as the filetype or it will save as a .txt file.
After it is saved, double-click it and answer yes to the question:
"are you sure you want to add the information in C׃\<path>\<your new file just saved.reg> to the registry?

My fair warning to anybody that does this: You will be able to see every file in your computer using this registry modification. This means many files and folders will be susceptible to deletion and /or modification by you because you will be able to see them now. Be careful of what you change or delete.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"Hidden" = "2"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"ShowSuperHidden" = "0"
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoDriveTypeAutoRun" = "145"
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL]
"CheckedValue" = "0"

Solution

DRMIKBRAN

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

Thanks hang- the-9 .. and aford10 , That particular box is already unchecked ... .

Also have downloaded and ran SPYBOT ... Thats not showing a virus either .....

Am wondering now if it is a Prevx False ++++ ????

I am also searching cyberspace for an answer ... before my HD is full of Anti Virus Software.

DRMIKBRAN

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

WELL DONE TIGSOUNDS .... Absolutely great , your regedit solution worked very well indeed .

YES ..YES .YES The hidden virus that was revealed by Prevx showed itself , and was deleted manually and obviously was not a false postive
as suspected.

Thanks to all members who replied . especially tigsounds. Heres hoping that all members will take note of your invaluable reply.

THIS THREAD IS NOW CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.