New Build - non gaming - will it work - need advice!

Learned a lot from this forum, my application is not gaming. Use the machine for web development and home office…..Dreamweaver CS3, Photoshop CS3, MS Office etc. Replacing a 4 yr old 2.8G P4.

With all the rebates this looks to be a lot of machine for about $1350. Haven’t built for 4 years so out of touch with the latest.

The video board looks like it supports PCI Express 2 and I don’t understand if the MB is capable of taking advantage. It has slot capability as follows: PCI Express x16 and PCI Express x1. Is this video board a huge overkill for my needs? If so how about a good replacement?

The case is great but may be too fancy to just stuff under the desk. Any suggestions for another model. Let me know what u think….anything I’m doing wrong? Any suggestions to change?

OS is XP Pro.

Thanks very much for the help! Here's the shopping list!

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

ASUS P5K-E LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600

CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Model TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

SAMSUNG 226BW Black 22" 2 ms (GTG) DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor

SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S203N
24 answers Last reply
More about build gaming work advice
  1. Yup, overkill video that is. You don't do 3d rendering? Pick out a 8500/8600 with passive cooling (only heatsinks).

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html

Any 400W brand name psu will do with this. Earthwatts would be a good start.

No other changes.

Are you overclocking this?
  2. Looks good. PCI express 2.0 doesn't get you anything... Yet. Anyways the video card will clock to X16 standard. I don't think any advantage will come from express 2.0 for a long time and only with duel cards. That is one hell of a non-gaming maching. The only thing I would say is that, of course, XP pro is not a 64 bit system so not all of your 4 gig of ram will be used. Its no big deal. I have 4 gig installed on my XP pro machine (the one I am on right now). Asus has a memory mapping feature that takes it down to ~ 3.2 gig. Its all good. I like the build. I think the PSU might be a touch weak... like 650 would be better. And if your documents mean that much to you (as mine do) get another HD and mirror them. Good luck.
  3. akhilles said:
    Yup, overkill video that is. You don't do 3d rendering? Pick out a 8500/8600 with passive cooling (only heatsinks).

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_family.html

Any 400W brand name psu will do with this. Earthwatts would be a good start.

No other changes.

Are you overclocking this?

Akhiles would be right about the video card. And if you did go with a lesser video card, you could do less in terms of PSU. Don't do that though. Always nice to have more PSU incase you want to add something later.
  4. Thanks I'll look at the video cards....
    Also considering this MB GA-P35-DS3L could save about $50 and the COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 case a $90 savings.
    No plans to OC so I'm assuming stock cooler will work fine!
    Thanks
  5. Very solid and fast setup for your needs.
    The apps you are using will make good use of a quad core, lots of memory and a fast harddrive. A fast 3D gamer's card will be of absolutley no benefit to any of the apps you listed.

If you don't game......
    You don't need 512meg of memory on the video card either, this is really something to think about. XP Pro will only allow a total of 4 gig of memory to be used. By putting more memory on the video card, you are shorting yourself the amount of main memory available to XP.
    For your apps, you will get more benefit with a card that has less memory, leaving more main memory addressable.
    I would look at something like an 8500 256meg card.
  6. I feel that the Q6600 is a waste if you're not planning to overclock. A 9500 runs $100 less than the Q6600 is probably only about 10-15% slower.
  7. jitpublisher said:
    Very solid and fast setup for your needs.
    The apps you are using will make good use of a quad core, lots of memory and a fast harddrive. A fast 3D gamer's card will be of absolutley no benefit to any of the apps you listed.

If you don't game......
    You don't need 512meg of memory on the video card either, this is really something to think about. XP Pro will only allow a total of 4 gig of memory to be used. By putting more memory on the video card, you are shorting yourself the amount of main memory available to XP.
    For your apps, you will get more benefit with a card that has less memory, leaving more main memory addressable.
    I would look at something like an 8500 256meg card.

Actually video memory plays a lot when photo editing (photoshop), it accounts for swap space. For your machine though you shouldn't need much. Remeber to pick up XP64bit since XP pro only supports up to 2gb of RAM.
  8. acidpython said:
    Actually video memory plays a lot when photo editing (photoshop), it accounts for swap space. For your machine though you shouldn't need much. Remeber to pick up XP64bit since XP pro only supports up to 2gb of RAM.

I don't like to be negative, but these statements are simply not correct.
  9. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102726
    Cheep and somewhat capable video card. If you're not heavy into gaming, this is a pretty decent card. 2 year warranty isn't bad. Most are one year.
  10. hairycat101 said:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102726
    Cheep and somewhat capable video card. If you're not heavy into gaming, this is a pretty decent card. 2 year warranty isn't bad. Most are one year.

No Gaming!

I also found this model - http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16814121094 same price, very good reviews...have had several Asus video cards and all worked well

Any thoughts on switching to this MB http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16813128059 a lot less money and I'm not using RAID

Also looking at this case http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16811119068 again save $50

How do u feel about upgrading the retail HS.....any recommendations

Thanks very much for your advice!
  11. My suggestion on the video card was one that uses 512 meg. Free shipping and 2 year warranty. If you like Nvidia, your card is nice too, although it does only have 256 meg and it takes up (internally) 2 slots. Nice MoBo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119104
    I have this case. It is really nice for a simple case. I have my Q6600 running in it. All is cool as it should be. The labels are very clear and the firewire and the USB's are already put together so all you have to do is plug it in. Very nice to have. Same thing with the front audio connectors. No going through 50 little wires trying to get them in the right order. you just plug it into the connector on the MoBo. It has '97 and HD for the front. Really this is a nice (simple case).
  12. hairycat101 said:
    My suggestion on the video card was one that uses 512 meg. Free shipping and 2 year warranty. If you like Nvidia, your card is nice too, although it does only have 256 meg and it takes up (internally) 2 slots. Nice MoBo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119104
    I have this case. It is really nice for a simple case. I have my Q6600 running in it. All is cool as it should be. The labels are very clear and the firewire and the USB's are already put together so all you have to do is plug it in. Very nice to have. Same thing with the front audio connectors. No going through 50 little wires trying to get them in the right order. you just plug it into the connector on the MoBo. It has '97 and HD for the front. Really this is a nice (simple case).

Ur absolutely right, it's the better video card choice! Thank You! OK on the GigaB MoBo and Centurion Case, it will be my choice. Probably going to back off to 2Gig of memory since OS is XPPro 32 bit. Can always add more later. Just two last items please.....I'd appreciate you thoughts on the CPU heatsink, retail version or should I upgrade.
    Finally how about this monitor http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16824001096
    would like a 24" but this looks hard to beat for the price.

You've been a great help! Thank You
  13. I am on a stock (retail) HSF on my q6600. This is a workstation, so I am NOT overclocking. My CAD program runs some pretty intense stuff and I would not like to risk any instability. If you don't OC then don't buy anything you won't need. The case I referenced (and many others too) have an air duct that adjusts to best meet the CPU insuring that the air it takes in is from the outside of the case and thus cooler then the air inside the case. Just make sure that is adjusted correctly. Unfortunately, I can't comment on your monitor. I personally like CRT monitors because the color just seems to be richer. I haven't really looked at flat monitors, though, for some time. I assume the color and image quality look better now then the last time I gave them consideration. As for your Ram choice, I have 4 gig installed on my 32 bit OS. I just use the memory remapper in the bios (easy option). All works well. Go with 2 gig if you want to. It should be more then enough. Just don't be afraid of 4 gig.
  14. I ran CS3 on a laptop with ATI 2300HD video, so an 8800 is overkill, and I've also heard that the 8800s don't have the best color reproduction.

I'd suggest the ATI 3870 or nVidia 9600gt.
    they are both cheaper, have 512 memory, and are supose to have better color production.

I've also heard that XP doesn't work the greatest with multi cores, but maybe that was just XP home.
  15. if your realy concerned about video memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814260061

a 8600 with 1 gig
  16. jitpublisher said:
    I don't like to be negative, but these statements are simply not correct.

You beat me to it... and I wasn't going to be negative either... I was going to be very, very negative.
  17. evetsmd, if you have used my family pc, you'd be asking me to build you one cuz I have been gradually upgrading that pc with quieter parts. After each upgrade I'd ask my family if it's quieter than before, and they'd say so. The loudest part is the hard disk. My family & I too run the same apps as you do.

You're not gaming & you can build a near silent workstation. The 1st thing is to get a video with passive cooling. 2nd thing is get a quiet case with sound-proofing material. Antec Solo is the case. Or if you prefer a case with psu, Sonata III is basically the same + a decent psu.

Now that you saved money on video, you should put it toward improving your pc's overall performance. 4 gigs of ram would be minimal. If you can, get 2 identical large harddisks with 500+ GB and raid them. Then you'd need a raid-capable mobo like P5K-E or DS3R. Dual cores are fine unless you do a/v encoding.

The Samsung monitor you picked out is pretty good. I have the 941BW. It has a magic color setting that makes the colors more vibrant. Maybe a tad too much for print. You can use the bundled software to calibrate your monitor.
  18. groo said:
    if your realy concerned about video memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814260061

a 8600 with 1 gig

Again, I am going to say this. You don't need much video memory to run the apps you are talking about.
    If you want more, that is fine. But a 256meg card is more memory than you will ever, ever need.

Now if you want to play games like Oblivian and Crysis, at medium to high res using AA and AF, then get a friggin card with all the memory you can find.
  19. Just wanted to thank everyone for the help and suggestions.

Based on all this is what I ordered today -

Antec Sonata III - $130
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - $90
    Sapphire 100236L Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128 bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0x16 HDCP - $80
    Q6600 2,4GHz - $255
    Corsair 4GB DDR2 800 PC2 6400 - $74
    Seagate 500G 7200.11 SATA 3.0G - $120
    Samsung 226BW - $270
    Microsoft Keyboard and Optical Mouse - $34
    Samsung DVD Burner SH-S203N - $30

Total - $1083 computer and monitor

Again thanks for the help.
  20. evetsmd said:
    Just wanted to thank everyone for the help and suggestions.

Based on all this is what I ordered today -

Antec Sonata III - $130
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - $90
    Sapphire 100236L Radeon HD 3650 512MB 128 bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0x16 HDCP - $80
    Q6600 2,4GHz - $255
    Corsair 4GB DDR2 800 PC2 6400 - $74
    Seagate 500G 7200.11 SATA 3.0G - $120
    Samsung 226BW - $270
    Microsoft Keyboard and Optical Mouse - $34
    Samsung DVD Burner SH-S203N - $30

Total - $1083 computer and monitor

Again thanks for the help.

Let us all know what you think of that monitor.
  21. Have you got your power supply? Good deal on the Corsair VX550:
    http://www.buy.com/prod/Corsair-VX-550W-Power-Supply/q/loc/101/205852646.html
  22. The Sonatta III is a very nice case and chuckm, it comes with a very capable Antec 500 watt supply!
    Nice system and the 226BW, you're gonna love it it's awesome and very fast.....

Good work
  23. In fact, the bundled psu is Earthwatts, which is decent.
  24. Didn't catch the case/psu combo. Nice rig.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product