Sign in with
Your question

Iomega External Harddrive not found

Last response: in Storage
April 9, 2009 7:24:17 PM

I have had a USB Iomega harddrive for six months. It has always worked without a problem until about a week ago when without warning, it stopped being recognised by the computer. I have never before had any problems with it.

I've tried plugging it in to three different computers, using both Windows and Ubuntu.

It doesn't appear in My Computer, but if I look in Device Manager, it shows up, although the only thing I am able to do is unistall the drivers. I tried unistalling and reinstalling them: a message appeared telling that a new device was found, it was installing the drivers, the drivers were installed, it was now available to use... However, it still doesn't show up in My Computer and no AutoPlay happens, so it appears that nothing has changed.

I don't understand, as the computer obviously sees something, but not enough...
What can I try?
a b G Storage
April 9, 2009 8:19:13 PM

Does it show up under disk administration?
a b G Storage
April 10, 2009 6:25:45 AM

It sounds like you need to allocate it under disk management.
Related resources
a b G Storage
April 10, 2009 2:02:51 PM

Assign it a letter under disk management (Windows).
a b G Storage
April 10, 2009 2:03:43 PM

For Ubuntu, you may have to manually mount it.
April 10, 2009 2:35:41 PM

It appears under Disk Management, but only as 'disk 2, unknown, unreadable'.
a b G Storage
April 10, 2009 7:53:49 PM

You should be able to right click on it and allocate it. You could also try a chkdisk.
April 12, 2009 11:27:59 AM

I've tried to right click on it and the only available options were Properties or Help, so I was unable to assign it a letter - or do anything else.
a b G Storage
April 12, 2009 11:18:58 PM

Try booting to the command prompt in the recovery console. Use the 'fixmbr' command to rewrite the MBR. It may have become corrupt.
June 11, 2009 10:27:24 PM

Um... I'm not really prone to posting on forums or anything--in fact I'm pretty much a big computer newb, or so I've been told--but I'm trying to solve a problem that is LITERALLY just like this one. Everything is pin-point similar to what's going on with my external harddrive....

Could someone help me, please? I managed to figure out everything up to "command prompt" and then it all mostly went to hell. If someone could talk me through it that would be great.
a b G Storage
June 11, 2009 10:31:26 PM

Have you allocated the drive in disk management?

June 12, 2009 5:26:06 AM

My supreme computer ineptitude I hope can be excused, but otherwise yes, I think I have. I went to the Disk Management and assigned it to another letter. It prompted me to format in order to properly access it, and from there I wasn't sure what to do. It would only let me view "Help" and "Properties" otherwise...
a b G Storage
June 12, 2009 12:48:54 PM

You need to format the drive once you've brought the drive online.
November 18, 2009 6:57:48 PM

frog46 said:
I've tried to right click on it and the only available options were Properties or Help, so I was unable to assign it a letter - or do anything else.

I am having the same exact problem with my 1 tb iomega external hard drive. It is recognized under device manager, I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times. A message will pop up saying that it is ready, but it won't show up anywhere for me to access it. Under disk management it shows up as disk 2, but is unallocated and doesn't show up as a tb. I have no option to allocate it. Also, me drive will go through a beep, pause, beep, pause, for several minutes when it is first turned on. I know very little about computers, but I have very important information on this drive, which is about three quarters of the way full. Let me know if you, or anyone else, knows how for me to get this working again without losing my info.
Thanks.
a b G Storage
November 18, 2009 8:08:25 PM

In disk management, right click on it and assign it a drive letter.
November 18, 2009 10:01:28 PM

aford10 said:
In disk management, right click on it and assign it a drive letter.

When i right click, the only options I get are "properties" and "help". Do you have any other ideas?
a b G Storage
November 18, 2009 10:06:44 PM

Is it 'online'? Basic or dynamic? Listed as healthy? Have a solid blue bar on it?
November 18, 2009 11:32:02 PM

aford10 said:
Is it 'online'? Basic or dynamic? Listed as healthy? Have a solid blue bar on it?

Ok, I don't know much about this stuff, but I will do my best. It is not being recognized with a letter. It says basic. It say Healthy (EISA Configuration). And it has a solid black line on it. My other external hard drive which is functioning properly says basic, Healthy (Primary Partition), and has a solid blue line.

Also the external drive that is working says NTFS under File System, where the drive that isn't working says nothing.

Another weird thing is that the drive that is not working says 3.86 GB with and unallocated underneath it, where it is a 1 TB drive. The drive that is working correctly says the proper amount of space that it holds.
a b G Storage
November 19, 2009 12:17:54 AM

EISA configuration is usually for an OEM restore partition. That's an odd format for a newer drive.

I would try removing the EISA format.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1480594/get_ri...
# Go to start -> Run
# Type on the run window " cmd.exe "
# The command prompt window will appear; in that write "Diskpart" (you can write directly "diskpart" in the run window).
# A window will open. In that type "list disk".
# You will see a list of disk you are using most probably if you using one disk (hard drive) it will show disk 0.
# Then type "select disk 0".
# Then "list partition".
# It will show the partitions of the hard drive you are using.
# Then see the type of the partition, in one of them there will be written EISA configuration ( or something like that).
# Select the partition as "select partition (partition number 0, 1, 2 ...).
# When you selected the EISA partition.
# Type "automount enable".
# It will show a message that the partition is enabled.

Here is a nice walk through on how to allocate a drive and assign a drive letter.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/tips/adv...
November 20, 2009 6:14:10 AM

I followed all the steps and found the OEM and it says "mounting of new volumes enabled" but I can't get the drive to show up anywhere. I is acting as if nothing has changed. Like I said, I really don't know much about this stuff, but I can't get it to open. I don't know if has anything to do with the fact that I have vista, but I am still lost. I'm going to keep everything up exactly how it is, so if you have any other suggestions, I will be ready for them. Thank you for helping me out so much.
a b G Storage
November 20, 2009 11:10:13 AM

Now that you've done the above steps, does it still say EISA 3.86GB in disk management?
November 21, 2009 6:33:04 PM

yeah, it says the same thing.
a b G Storage
November 21, 2009 7:01:35 PM

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other way to get it to NTFS format without formatting the drive. Which would involve erasing the drive.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
February 5, 2010 10:53:50 PM

If it helps anyone get some solutions, every once in a while (seemingly randomly) the device gets recognized and, (if you're absolutely still and don't disturb the positioning of the wires) you can access the drive. If you shake the computer, the hard drive, the table/desk, or even walk heavily near any of that, the device stops working. Some other strange things is that, on my computer (DELL laptop B130) it comes up right away every time, but for some computers (the macbook I'm on now and an HP of my roommate) it isn't recognized. I also am not as computer savvy as I'd like to be and would love any solutions, or at least a theory as to why it won't get recognized.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
May 9, 2010 7:51:53 PM

My Iomega hard drive did this. Exactly the same symptoms caused by pins being bent in the connector, have a good look at them. A new case sorted it, easy job to swap the drive into a new case. Happy days. Probably caused by oose in the connector from pocket, etc.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 10, 2010 11:48:19 AM

I got the same problem and I tried many ways to make my hard disk work.

In my case it shows "Disk 1, Unknown, 289 GB, Not Initialized" and when i right click on the black bar new system volume and those options are disabled. only the help and properties option can be accessed.

Can any one tell me what this "Not Initialized" means and how to initialize it.

I tried that command part but nothing happened.
January 4, 2011 3:33:42 PM

I had a similar problem. Went into the control panel, system, hardware and found the drive listed as a desktop drive. Re-installed the device driver and it works fine now.
March 14, 2011 6:59:38 AM

Hello all sorry to bother but im haveing a problem with my 1.5T hard drive when i sitch it on my computer picks it up and then freezes then when i sitch it of my pc unfreezes and works fine then a thing pops up saying that i must format it bifor i can use it it have working for a year now i have backup of 5 pcs on there and all my games are installed on there plus my fathers lifes work is on there so this is a bit of a bugger please help

jj :o 
September 22, 2011 9:42:09 AM

Same problem here too.Just bought an iomega select 1tb desktop hard drive a day back and when i connect it, there is no sign of its existence.It doesnt show up on disk management either.It is as if it doesnt exist at all.And the funny thing is even though the led light of the drive is flashing,the drive doesnt seem to be spinning.Is it dead or what???Someone plz help me!!!
September 26, 2011 11:14:36 PM

Yogesa said:
Same problem here too.Just bought an iomega select 1tb desktop hard drive a day back and when i connect it, there is no sign of its existence.It doesnt show up on disk management either.It is as if it doesnt exist at all.And the funny thing is even though the led light of the drive is flashing,the drive doesnt seem to be spinning.Is it dead or what???Someone plz help me!!!

Same problem as Yogesa, tried different power cords and the same thing. When i connect it, nothing but the led light on the external flashing and the drive isn't spinning. I was wondering the same thing, is it dead?
November 3, 2011 6:38:29 PM

Same problem as original post. Was recognizing for years, now it does sometimes but not others. It also happened with a Zen Touch device. I know it's something in this computer and not the device because it still works fine, registers and everything with my laptop.

I've tried the disk management route and no luck. Disk didn't come with a driver.

If anyone can advise based on this, would appreciate it.
November 6, 2011 10:44:28 PM

lovewholeself said:
Same problem as original post. Was recognizing for years, now it does sometimes but not others. It also happened with a Zen Touch device. I know it's something in this computer and not the device because it still works fine, registers and everything with my laptop.

I've tried the disk management route and no luck. Disk didn't come with a driver.

go to device manager {once there's a drive that's not working properly it will show up as other devices click it and then it will show the icon with a ? right click and select update drivers then select search online}
November 8, 2011 11:55:56 AM

Hi there,
open command prompt and type
chkdsk volume: /r
use your drive name instead of "volume"
Be patient. It takes a long time to scan your external drive but if the problem is about corrupted file system it will be OK after that!!!
hope this help ...
February 19, 2012 12:43:58 PM

Hello. My problem was similar to yours. I have discovered a solution.
The problem: My external HDD refused to show. It was available only in Disk Management with no options available. There was no letter assigned. I could not access the HDD.
Therefore I tried to assign a letter with software, called MiniTool Partition Wizard.
After a few attempts (and no changes), I followed the instructions here :

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f16/have-you-los...

Using TestDisk.

Both of the programs helped me to get back my HDD to life.

Hope it will be helpful.

Best regards from Bulgaria!
March 5, 2012 7:25:50 PM

lovewholeself said:

Had this problem once. Solved!

When you are in disk management, instead of right clicking the black status bar, right click to the left on the drive # (0,1,2..) where you see the little red warning. Then initialize it through there, then go to the right in the status bar and allocate.
:hello: 
March 21, 2012 8:25:52 PM

i think my problem is solved ! didn't recognized hard disk ..
just went to my computer right click on icon of drive. then press on security - edit and then make sure that everything marked\checked out (including writing option).
couldn't belive it worked :) 
GL
April 6, 2012 5:00:14 AM

slavenkata said:
Hello. My problem was similar to yours. I have discovered a solution.
The problem: My external HDD refused to show. It was available only in Disk Management with no options available. There was no letter assigned. I could not access the HDD.
Therefore I tried to assign a letter with software, called MiniTool Partition Wizard.
After a few attempts (and no changes), I followed the instructions here :

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f16/have-you-los...

Using TestDisk.

Both of the programs helped me to get back my HDD to life.

Hope it will be helpful.

Best regards from Bulgaria!

I had exactly the problem that was described in the original issue. My Iomega portable HD wasn't appearing in My Computer but was showing up as Disk 1 in Disk Management and didn't have the option to reassign a drive letter. When I booted up my comp with the HD plugged in I received the error message 'Non System Disk Error - Press any key to reboot'.

Freaked out. Googled it. Found this post.

I was a bit apprehensive of trying this TestDisk solution because I didn't want to further complicate the issue - but I eventually decided to try it as it seemed like the most straightforward solution.

It worked 100% and I can now access my drive and data. Awesome.

Thank you very much!
April 9, 2012 7:09:52 PM

You guys are a life saver, I had the same issues and found your thread and it worked. I can now see my external drive again and all my data is there. Thank you so much.
June 8, 2012 12:31:10 AM

evongugg said:
Assign it a letter under disk management (Windows).

ok guys so I've read everything you've got up here and the only thing I haven't actually tried is the allocation of a drive letter. I don't really know what I'm doing in regards to that so I"m a little afraid to take any chances I don't want to lose the information I have on it. The drive is listed in the Disk management as two...drives....one being (F:)  an encryption application for the drive . The drive itself is listed as (G:)  and it states that it's Healthy has a solid blue line and is active....the file system for (G:)  is "RAW" The file system for (F:)  is "CDFS". To be clear my Iomega is exhibiting the same issues as the other people on the post. It shows up in the Disk Management and Device Manager.....for some reason Windows just can't access it. Please help.

I greatly appreciate it any help that can be given me.
August 13, 2012 8:05:25 PM

Is there any solution for people whose drives DO NOT show up under disk management. I'm on the verge of tearing it apart and installing it that way, but the case is pretty nice, and is showing up in the device manager, but it is so goddamn frustrating.
November 14, 2012 3:47:41 AM

jitpublisher said:
Does it show up under disk administration?

where would i find the disk administration pls

phantom
November 14, 2012 6:42:56 AM

aford10 said:
It sounds like you need to allocate it under disk management.

where do i find the disk management file. i am not fully affiliated with systems
phantom
November 17, 2013 8:18:38 PM

frog46 said:
I have had a USB Iomega harddrive for six months. It has always worked without a problem until about a week ago when without warning, it stopped being recognised by the computer. I have never before had any problems with it.

I've tried plugging it in to three different computers, using both Windows and Ubuntu.

It doesn't appear in My Computer, but if I look in Device Manager, it shows up, although the only thing I am able to do is unistall the drivers. I tried unistalling and reinstalling them: a message appeared telling that a new device was found, it was installing the drivers, the drivers were installed, it was now available to use... However, it still doesn't show up in My Computer and no AutoPlay happens, so it appears that nothing has changed.

I don't understand, as the computer obviously sees something, but not enough...
What can I try?

!