Sign in with
Your question

Problems with new build running XP

Last response: in Windows XP
July 22, 2010 5:51:00 PM

Not positive this is the right place, if not tell me otherwise and I'll gladly move it. Heres the scoop though, I just finished building an i7 930 build asus II Rampage gene motherboard, one tera byte harddrive, 3 gb 1800 mhz ddr3 ram, and a gt220 1 gb video card. It will start up show the motherboard logo, then go to the xp loading screen and start doing the scrolling loader. about on the 6th scroll it will freeze, go black, then lit up black, then black and then restart all together. Nothing in the hardware seems to be out of place so im assuming its XP itself. i have checked the bios and the tempuratures seem normal. I just fully finished this build yesterday, I installed some drivers for the right parts, which made it restart and it ran fine. Then i installed a game and played it for a little while before shutting it down, when I came back a few hours later it started with this madness.

More about : problems build running

July 22, 2010 6:11:08 PM

BIOS version 1033 is required for the i7930. There are ten BIOS revisions and the early release MBs did not ship with a BIOS that supports that CPU. It's possible you may need a CPU supported by the BIOS you have in order to update to a later version of BIOS. The board shipped as early as March 2009 with BIOS version 0404. You may have an early version with BIOS 0404. Check the product page at ASUS.

>>>>>>>>>http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan... II Gene&product=1&os=17

>>>>>>http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguag... II Gene&product=1
m
l
July 22, 2010 6:51:12 PM

Good idea bage, I help no_Harry build this PC, and noticed something weird in cpuid, some of the information was not sowing up, like the bclk (fsb) and ram info (this could be because the memory controller is integrated into the cpu) and I know the BIOS is not 0404, but it is definitely not in the quad digits, ill look into BIOS revisions and see if this help.
m
l
Related resources
July 22, 2010 6:54:29 PM

If you have one of the earlier released processors listed on that CPU support list certainly try it. Try going into BIOS under System Information and see if the BIOS revision is listed there. Also, the box may list the BIOS revision the board shipped with, not sure though. Look on the box for any kind of ship date. Or the board itself.
m
l
July 22, 2010 7:01:53 PM

after he left i tried cpuID again and it worked. i just check the bios settings and its 0904
m
l
July 22, 2010 7:07:57 PM

Copy and paste this link into your browser and go to the support page (minus the arrows). Is this your MB? List the exact model of the board. If you check the CPU support list on the page, there is not version 0904 listed.

>>>>>http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguag... II Gene&product=1
m
l
July 22, 2010 7:09:58 PM

no_harry said:
after he left i tried cpuID again and it worked. i just check the bios settings and its 0904

If the system is booting to desktop, be sure to load up the system drivers from the MB CD. Also install the correct video drivers for the video card.
m
l
July 22, 2010 7:27:40 PM

Maybe it was the drivers that gave the os access to the motherboards nand and BIOS And Harry, put the title of the motherboard on here, word by word
m
l
July 22, 2010 7:34:41 PM

Also, in BIOS the RAM should be configured manually to the specification outlined by the RAM distributor. This would include setting manually the RAM's voltage, timings and speed manually. Especially the voltage, auto or default may not be enough voltage to cover the required voltage (Mfg's specs) to power the RAM adequetly. The RAM voltage may need a bump to prevent system crashes.
m
l
July 22, 2010 7:37:51 PM

Asus Republic of Gamers Rampage II Gene Motherboard or
Rampage II Gene <green>
m
l
July 22, 2010 7:41:24 PM

Ok, would 1.70v suffice? I'm new to ovetvolting, but understand underclocking.
m
l
July 22, 2010 7:44:18 PM

thegamingbeast said:
Ok, would 1.70v suffice? I'm new to ovetvolting, but understand underclocking.

OP list onlt DDR3 1800MHz., no distributor. Check the RAM distributor's voltage requirements (usually on the DIMM itself) and set the voltage to that specification.
m
l
July 22, 2010 7:50:06 PM

[ 1307 ]
----------------------
1. Improve memory compatibility
2. Improve system stability
3. Update CPU Level Up function
4. Fix DEL and F8 keys doesn't work with Microsoft Reclusa Keyboard
5. Fix 2.2T HDD size is wrong if Quick Boot option is disabled
6. Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...

[ 1202 ]
----------------------
Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...

[ 1104 ]
----------------------
Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...

[ 1033 ]
----------------------
1. Improve memory compatibility
2. Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLan...

[ 0904 ]
----------------------
Improve memory compatibility

0904 is right there
m
l
July 22, 2010 7:54:59 PM

Yea, ill check the voltage, if I remember correct its like 1.6 it 1.65, and Harry, the BIOS ur using is the one right before the one with the new CPU support added on.
m
l
July 22, 2010 7:57:41 PM

so Ill probably need to update the bios for sure. since 0904 doesnt support the 930. hmm. i still wonder how we got it to run earler without any problems
m
l
July 22, 2010 7:57:52 PM

Ok, I see the revision 0904...sorry I was looking at the wrong page. 8) Yeah, if you click on CPU support, 1033 revision is needed for the i7930.

Edit for clarification.
m
l
July 22, 2010 7:59:31 PM

no_harry said:
so Ill probably need to update the bios for sure. since 0904 doesnt support the 930. hmm. i still wonder how we got it to run earler without any problems

It's possible the 930 would run, however most likely briefly with that 0904 BIOS. I have experienced that phenomen before. 8) Took me a while to figure out why my system kept crashing when I changed the processor. :lol:  1033 should solve the crashing problem.

Just update to the lastest BIOS, version 1307. The lastest includes all that came before it.
m
l
July 22, 2010 11:06:39 PM

ok i updated it and i know its on there but the problem still persists
m
l
July 22, 2010 11:15:37 PM

Well, be sure to install the lastest system drivers from the ASUS site. Same for the graphics card. What memory do you have? Is it on the ASUS qualified vendors list on the download page? Also, be sure the voltage is set to the RAM mfg. specifications, RAM is often the cause of system crashes when running software like a game. Also, with all the crashing going on with the wrong processor installed for the BIOS, some corruption of the OS files may have become corrupted. Try running a chkdsk to repair any corrupted OS files. Also, a repair installation of XP may solve any such problems. Also, a fresh installation of XP would clear up any OS issues that may be occuring.
m
l
July 22, 2010 11:44:45 PM

the thing is i cant even get to teh log on screen. my only options as far as changing or checking things is through the BIOS settings. and i didnt see my RAM on the list... that would be my third set of ram on this system. but the ram was running perfectly last night. im having another friend come over who might be able to help. if all else fails ill try a clean XP install... if that doesnt work then ill let you know
m
l
July 22, 2010 11:55:09 PM

Don't do a fresh install, u can just boot the win XP CD and repair the system files if any are corrupt, only problem is, u need my CD...
m
l
July 23, 2010 3:44:17 AM

ok so we got it running and all, but now this problem happens. BIOS sees 3 gb of ram, same with CPU-Z but windows only recongnizes 2...
m
l
July 23, 2010 4:32:27 AM

no_harry said:
ok so we got it running and all, but now this problem happens. BIOS sees 3 gb of ram, same with CPU-Z but windows only recongnizes 2...

CAUSE

This behavior is the expected result of certain hardware and software factors.

Various devices in a typical computer require memory-mapped access. This is known as memory-mapped I/O (MMIO). For the MMIO space to be available to 32-bit operating systems, the MMIO space must reside within the first 4 GB of address space.

For example, if you have a video card that has 256 MB of onboard memory, that memory must be mapped within the first 4 GB of address space. If 4 GB of system memory is already installed, part of that address space must be reserved by the graphics memory mapping. Graphics memory mapping overwrites a part of the system memory. These conditions reduce the total amount of system memory that is available to the operating system.

The reduction in available system memory depends on the devices that are installed in the computer. However, to avoid potential driver compatibility issues, the 32-bit versions of Windows Vista limit the total available memory to 3.12 GB. See the "More information" section for information about potential driver compatibility issues.

If a computer has many installed devices, the available memory may be reduced to 3 GB or less. However, the maximum memory available in 32-bit versions of Windows Vista is typically 3.12 GB.

WORKAROUND

An x64 (64-bit) version of Windows Vista must be used.
m
l
!