jimbonewbie

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
I have an Asus P5KPL-VM (uATX) and am wondering if I can put in a q6600 CPU or other quad core. The box says its "quad core ready" and has 45nm support and 1333FSB. It has a G31 chipset and supports 800mhz RAM with bios version 0402. Now when it says quad core ready what do they mean? Do I need to do something special before I upgrade to quad core. I guess I am worried about buying a cpu and not have the thing work.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Being "ready" means it's possible that you may need a bios update to be able to run the cpu you wanted. You should check the manufacturer's website for your bios version and see if you need an update. Also Q6600 is the older 65nm chip, not 45nm, and has a higher chance of working with your board without bios update.

You'll most likely need to upgrade the BIOS for it to recognize the 45nm Q9xxx series (Yorkfield). That is the case with most motherboards that states it can support the newer Intel quad cores.

That means you need to stick an older LGA 775 CPU, like an older Core 2 Duo CPU into the motherboard before you can upgrade the BIOS. Then you can stick the newer Q9xxx quad core into the motherboard and fire it up.

Dammiz

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2007
well I just came ocross this thread now :p

as regards to ur question,

Yes It will take a Q6600 quadcore..
tried it myself and worked... but now im having a problem that a Celeron 2.8Ghz Cpu that I just bought for a friend of mine wont work on this mobo but works perfectly on every other mobo.. even a P4 2.93Ghz cpu wont work :/ what do you think could be the prob?

maybe I need a bios update? or is this cpu completley incompatible with the mobo and not worth wasting the time on it.. :/ help me pls lofl.. I need this pc up and running soon and it's missing a cpu :p

Bios update? or just rma the mobo?

Btw tried two mobos both the same bought at same time with the same prob so the mobo is not defective it seems.. :/