Is 3870 Crossfire worth the upgrade money for me?

eaglesfan

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Im currently running the following;

Asus P5K-E
E6700
2G Kingston HyperX DDR2 1066

Then I have
8800GTS 640Mb
OCZ StealthXStream 600W PSU

all in an Antec 900...so no cooling issues. Im going to be purchasing an E8400 to replace the E6700.

The P5K-E is a crossfire board though. Meaning, I cant just grab another 8800GTS 640 and stick it in there sadly.

My main question is though...would it be worth the $360ish to buy 2 3870's and run them in Crossfire? Would that be enough of an upgrade to justify spending the money?

Or should I just put a few hundred away for the next gen cards that "should" be coming out? And offset the cost with that money then?

Well i dont imagine you are having too much in the way of problems running games at the minuite with what you have, even if you need to drop some of the settings at the min, im sure its ok for now.
So i would wait and see what the new cards bring then you will be in a better position to judge. I know people say you can wait for ever, the thing is this close to a new release i would hate to see something better come out at the same pricepoint a couple of months after buying a new card/s.
Mactronix

eaglesfan

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
Yah...thats pretty much what happened to me with my last system build.

Jumped the gun early with the Pentium D 805 and a mobo that Asus said would be C2D compatible...and wasnt...

Maybe I should just wait. Newegg has the GTX on sale for $369 after rebate. Maybe I will buy one of them, and sell the GTS 640 on ebay to recoup some of the cash :p

amd_fanboi

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
ehm, to be honest, the 640MB gts is still a powerful card... about equal to the 3870... i wouldn't do it just yet. But if you want to in say a few weeks, after the price drops, then yeah, why not?