childrens book for hardware

overpencil

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
I was hoping someone here would know a good book for young kids (6-8) about hardware. Pictures would be a plus, but I was mostly hoping for descriptions of all the components in a easy to read fashion. I tried searching amazon, but I mostly found books that described how to use search engines and email ( not very useful ).

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
best way: get hold of an old computer, and walk them through it, let them put in the parts, its just like lego.... if its old it doesnt matter if they break it.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Well, I let my 7 year old watch me install stuff, and when I got his new motherboard, he got to choose one out of 3 780G boards I showed him at Newegg. I had a spare X2 4200+ for it, plus legacy DDR2 667.

When the board arrived, I showed it to him and let him touch the board's static bag, then he sat down and watched me install it and set it up. The thing I'd forgotten was that it only had one IDE, so I put in an IDE card for the DVD-ROM.

Anyways, he wants to build his own PC's and I told him he'll have to watch and study until he's 12 or 13. Then I'll walk him through a build. Plus, I'll send him to camp so he gets his A+ certification in junior high or early high school so he can have a better job than retail over the summers.

doghills

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I'm 13 at the moment and I built my first comp when I was twelve. I didn't have my dad teaching me how to do it, I learned on my own. I started by getting a bunch of hand me down machines and tearing those apart, and putting them back together. I started by doing small things like installing CD-ROMs and RAM. My first computer that I bought (With my own money) was a Duron 1000mhz for my birthday. It was just the motherboard, processor, Hard drive, and RAM. I learned how to install all the components in that. Then for my 12th birthday I bought all the components my self and put it together. (I did all the research myself also.)

Just felt like sharing that. I have to say in my own opinion I learned a lot more then I could have learned through books.

Another thing I would also try and teach would be basic circuitry. Knowing the basics in that is also very important because you know the basics of what not to do.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
If there is a book it's probably obsolete already. LOL

"Jimmy puts the ISA card into the computer slot"

But seriously, I think childrens books about science, tech kinda stuff would really help in generating the next generation of engineers and scientists.

gigman

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
It would be easy enought to write one yourself and have it as a web page or somthing. I am 13 and like the other, built a pc last year.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
hmm on reflection, i was around 12 years old when i first built a computer,

for a 6-8 year old you might find that they may loose interest in computers at such an early age, mabey wait till there about 10, then get them to help out building machines under your instruction.

at 6-8 they wont understand any of it. i still think the best way of learning is to do it, sit with them show them how to insert a card and let them try the next one.

yadge

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007

I think I could have understood it all at 6-8.

I'm not sure if most could. But I think I could.

I just mean that you should rule out at least trying to show them. They may be very interested in it and actually make it a serious hobby.

Lord Gornak

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2008
Overpencil, I think that's the best idea. Heck, if you have enough spare parts for a computer you can make it a project for him on his own (sans power supply so he doesn't injure himself). Just lay them out and it's like a puzzle, that is as long as he doesn't force the ram in the wrong way, or force the molex connectors upside down..., on second thought, scratch that, at least until I contact a legal team to assure me I have no liability in the aforementioned recommendation.

In all seriousness, my youngest daughter (10) makes her mother mad when she says "I Love Daddy more because he's a gamer like me". I want to teach her the way it all works inside and out too. I plan on using the step by step method while she watches as well.

(And YES, I do tell her that love for father and mother should be equal)

_visual

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
Watched my dad build my first PC for me when I was 7. Didn't have a clue what was going on, I'd agree with the other guys, about 10 is probably right.

Built my first PC at 13/14 or something. Now 18 and glad I did. Think the main reason I wanted to do so at 13 was that I could save a huge amount of money. Mind you, I didn't have the knowledge I have now so I chose some 'questionable' parts.

Demonstration is probably the best way, like Lord Gornak says.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
way i learned was a friend built my first one, then i upgraded myself (i remembered how to discharge myself, thats all he taught me lol) and in so doing, learned