AMD X4 9850

stabgotham

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Is anyone actually selling these yet? I see reviews up and down the internet, but cannot find one on sale anywhere? Yet, I see it was supposable released on the 27th. What gives?

Well, AMD seems to be in to paper launches right now. They also released the 4850e back on the 5th and it still hasn't been seen. I did see a site claiming they would get one of the new Phenoms on the 11th, but who knows how accurate that is. As for the best Mobo I don't know. I guess it depends on what you plan to use the computer for.

sailer

Splendid
The best that I know is that they are supposed to be released on Apr 7. It should take a week or so after that before they show up at Newegg. So far, all that 's been seen are the ones being tested by Anandtech, etc. Then again, I could be wrong.

sailer

Splendid
I understand. I'd like to get a 9850 BE as well, with a nice, new video card to go with it. I'd even want one of the new mobos with a SC700 southbridge. Just need some patience.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

Not every site is reporting the actual release date. That gives people the impression it's a paper launch. They're shipping to OEM's now (which does constitute a launch) but the retail version arrive April 7th. As Sailor said, they should be at Newegg a week later.

See the "effective date" under Phenom prices at AMD:

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Corporate/VirtualPressRoom/0,,51_104_609,00.html?redir=CPPR01#phenom

AMD claims the best motherboard for the triple cores will be a 780G and the best motherboard for the quad core B3's is a 790. Of course, there's also the 770. If you want Nvidia SLI, you'll have to go with an Nvidia board. Someone else can fill you in on Nvidia's Phenom chipsets. If you want Crossfire, any of the above AMD boards are best.

I'm going to put a 9850 on a 780G board with 4 gigs of DDR2 1066, so we don't have to follow AMD's concept of mainstream vs. performance platform. As to the best manufacturer, that's a matter of opinion, I've gone with MSI and ASUS for ATI/AMD chipset boards, others recommend Gigabyte. Choose the board with the features you need, because all the AM2+ support Phenom B3's. From what the reviews say, the bios fix is grayed out with the B3's, so that's not an issue where performance is concerned.