this is disaster!

s1ckz

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
i have a serious question for u experts! :D
so i bought this new heatsink http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2144

i mount it up , everything is working fine i think but im not sure with temps , i have like 40*C @ 2-3%load lol.
i tried to run prime small ffts for like 5mins and my cpu started overheating! reached 72*C!
i didnt oc or anything. just changed my heatsink. just incase u need those ; mobo p5n-e sli , CPU dualcore E6750 2.66
im really confused.. does my cpu overheatin or smth?
thnkx <3

r-sky

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
From the review...

---

As a low noise heatsink for socket 754/939/940/AM2 AMD Athlon64 processors, the Zalman CNPS7500-Cu LED heatsink is clearly better suited to that CPU than it is to the smaller IHS size of the Intel platform. Still, with the advent of heatpipes and towers of thin cooling fins from every major CPU cooler maker out there, the CNPS7000-series is no longer top of its game. The CNPS7500-Cu LED does handle things very nicely at full fan speed on the AMD K8 test platform, but other models still surpass its best.

On the socket 775 Intel platform, the Zalman CNPS7500-Cu LED is an average heatsink at full speed. When operating as a low noise heatsink, it's clear the design is satisfactory but long since replaced by the likes of the Zalman CNPS9700 LED and CNPS9500 LED heatsinks.

Where low noise is your main concern the Zalman CNPS7500-Cu LED heatsink will get the job done. The 'flower' design is not quite as advanced as some newer heatpipe based heatsinks out there however. From an ultimate low noise noise peformance standpoint, the Zalman CNPS7500-Cu LED has largely been superceeded on both acoustic and thermal fronts.

s1ckz

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
i clear the old thermal paste , and put da new one that came up with the heatsink.. but that thermal paste wasnt lookin' so good lol, it was so hard lol , maybe should i get a new juicy one ? :D

^ Agree with jtt283. Sounds like it is just a case of either not mounted quite correctly, thermal paste not applied correctly.
I would uninstall, clean, reapply the thermal compound. Make sure you get it mounted squarely and flat to the CPU surface.

Make sure you did not use too much thermal paste.

If your board has build in fan control(every asus board I own does, its under hardware monitor), Turn it off.

Make sure your case has enough airflow.

Use Speedstep(set you power management to laptop) and C1E to lower idle temps and power use.

I have a CNPS 7000AlCu(less powerful heatsink) and on a 89 watt A64 at full load the temps are about 53-55 max with the fan on a resister for about 7 volts.

While not a powerful heatsink, it should cool your cool running 6750 with ease. I put my Stock Q6600 heatsink on my friends 6750 when I set it up and it idles in the high 20's low 30's and the loads where not much over 50 if that.

Ebtoulson

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Yea you could have gotten a bubble caught between your heatsink and the cpu. It's happened to me and it made my e6600 idle at 46C. Reapplied thermal paste and now under full load it only gets to 46C.