Need some help on what Card to go with

onedice

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Hi there, sorry if this gets asked over and over :) but im totaly stuck on this, needing a new card as I currently have a 8600gt that has run its course, been mooting over the radeon 3870 but ive now read ati are revising the design? ive also looked at the 8800GT but im thinking if I get one, in a month or so is there going to be a better performing equaly priced alternative?
So basicly do I get one of the mentiond cards or wait a while to see what comes out, as I really dont want to buy a card to find in a few weeks I could of got a better card for similar money :)

Thanks in advance

onedice

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Yeah im thinking so....But as long as they release a card in the 8800gt price/performance range for the 9xxx series, but im getting impatient now! hehe 8600gt just dosnt cut it

mihirkula

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
For $219.99, the 8800GT is the very best card out there ... it will be a while before the next affordable next gen card comes out.

AMD's Codename Thunder is making Nvidia nervous. But no one is sure when it will be out. Get the 8800GT mate.

onedice

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Thanks man, you convinced me :D i ordered the 8800gt for £129 from overlcockers.co.uk its stock speed so ill look to overclock it, I then wonderd what psu I had as I had this system custom buit for me as I was just too busy to get round to doing it and to my shock theyd put a 400 wat colorsit psu in it :| which wud of died id imagine so ive gone and got a 700watt artic power one from ebuyer with dual rails but I mean ouch lucky i checked :D Alltho been a while since ive done any messing around with PC's it seems theres a fan connected to it screwed in on the side of the case but its not actually plugged in seems to be directly connected to the psu so i assume im gonna have to loose that too? Hopefuly not too much of a loss in cooling as im not buying a fan too it was hard enoug to get the other half to let me buy myself a gfx card :D i havnt told her ive bought a psu too!

I don't know how much you paid for that PSU and whilst upgrading the current was a good idea I feel that you should know that two 8800GT's can be powered by a Corsair 620HX along with 5 HDD's, 5 case fans and the obligatory DVD\RW. You should have enough spare molex's on that PSU to power a case fan (or two) though.

crusoe74

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
I've headrd rumours that the GF9800GTX will be priced at $299 to $349.

If you wait until April you may be able to pick up a 9800GTS for about $250. (pure speculation I know, just going on the rumoured price point so could be BS. However with the small performance increase over the 8 series G92 I don't see why not)

dos1986

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006

Thats incredible value....

Beating a HD3870X2/9800GX2 for $320, Nvidia treating ous like mugs my ar$e....

Never better imo