Video Editing Machine... Let Me Know What You Think!

lilsage

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
lilsage_comp.jpg

Although not actually a fully "built from scratch" unit... what do you think?

It is in essence an Acer AM5620 that has been "upgraded".

Specs: Stock MB (G33T-AM), Windows Vista Home Permium, Stock Intel Q6600 2.4 Ghz Quad Core, 4Gb OCZ PC2-6400 Ram, Stock Hitachi 500Gb HD, 2x SEAGATE 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 SATA II (32MB Cache) in RAID 0, Western Digital 500GB Caviar SE16 7200rpm SATA II (16MB Cache) [Back-Up Drive], 2x DVD-Burners (only one with lightscribe), Stock ATI 2600 Pro 256Mb Card, Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Sound Card, after market ThermalRight IFX-14 Cooler with Scythe S-FLEX 120mm Med Flow Fan, and OCZ 600W StealthXStream Power Supply... all tucked neatly into a Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 Case. Plus a 22” and 19” Flat Panel Monitors.

And yes I am aware that the video card sucks. I had some issues running it with the two monitors... the video would crash once in awhile... but I have that stablized for now. When the money returns and the prices of the 8800's drop, then I will be upgrading that too. Till then I will just dream.

This is a machine built for video editing (Premier Pro CS3) with only light - moderate gaming. Thanks to the shared video the machine breaks 1500 Mb of video memory. Since I don't need major power... it will work for now.

Curious if I will retain the shared memory under a new video card?

Oh... the fan you see by the HD bays above the fan on the lower right corner... that is not a normal fan position. However, as I needed to remove one of the upper fans to make room for the IFX-10 and wanted better cooling for the four HD's I put it there. The optional HD fan goes right above the HD bays and would take up two of the five drive bays... did not want to do that.

akhilles

Splendid
Awesome video-editing build. The bottom fan is underrated. It pulls the coolest air from the bottom to the top.

I think the shared memory is in bios? If so, it can be disabled.

lilsage

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
Sadly because it is an acer machine can do very little in the bios. There is no way to disable that... which is okay for what I am doing. When it becomes time to update again, then I will change out the MB and get a new OS... though will more than likely switch to the 64bit version. By then it should be more useable.