Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

nvidia 8600GT SLI

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 14, 2008 1:16:58 AM

okay well when i build my computer... i honestly didnt know what SLI meant .. all i know is that it was 2 graphic cards.. so i told the person to add it ...

okay so i have 2 8600GT

specs :8600GT 512MB/ 128bit
dual dual-link/TV OUT

so how good is a 8600GT
and how much better is 2 8600GT
and does 2 of these cards somewhat achieve the same specs as a 8800GT ? ...
thanks

More about : nvidia 8600gt sli

March 14, 2008 1:28:21 AM

You would be significantly better off with a single 8800GT.

Depending on the game, a 2nd 8600GT will give you a 0-80% improvement over a single 8600GT.

You wont even come close to 8800GT performance, ever.
March 14, 2008 3:18:19 AM

Yeah, the 8600GT SLIed doesn't even come close.
Related resources
March 14, 2008 4:19:36 AM

Any decent shop owner wouldve suggested a single 8800GT over SLI'd 8600's any day of the week.

If he did, then good on him / her.

If they didn'nt... make sure you count your change before leaving.. as they've already robbed you for performance!
March 14, 2008 8:10:10 AM

In games were SLI did well, I'd expect 8600GT SLI to be around 40% the speed of 8800GT single card.

In games where SLI is weak, I'd expect 8600GT SLI to be around 20-25% the speed of 8800GT single card.

March 14, 2008 11:57:17 AM

I dunno Darkstar Im using a Single 8600GT at the minute and it's not all that bad after a 25% O.C to gpu & shaders.
a c 171 Î Nvidia
March 14, 2008 2:03:43 PM

moesgone said:
okay well when i build my computer... i honestly didnt know what SLI meant .. all i know is that it was 2 graphic cards.. so i told the person to add it ...

okay so i have 2 8600GT

specs :8600GT 512MB/ 128bit
dual dual-link/TV OUT

so how good is a 8600GT
and how much better is 2 8600GT
and does 2 of these cards somewhat achieve the same specs as a 8800GT ? ...
thanks

:pfff:  So wrong, so so wrong and no probably not, but on the plus side you could always replace both cards with 8800GT's for a 'proper' upgrade. [:mousemonkey]
March 14, 2008 2:37:38 PM

At least op didn't get one of the barebones "gaming machines" from tigerdirect that come with 2 7300s or 2 8400s.

To the op - What size monitor you playing on? and what kind of settings do want to play games at? and what games do you play?
a c 171 Î Nvidia
March 14, 2008 2:42:09 PM

San Pedro said:
At least op didn't get one of the barebones "gaming machines" from tigerdirect that come with 2 7300s or 2 8400s.

:lol:  Fair point.
March 14, 2008 4:32:34 PM

As everyone is saying two 8600GT is nowhere near one 8800GT.

A couple examples -
Crysis - http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=710&p=2
Fear - http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=710&p=5

You may achieve 50% scaling with two 8600GT vs one 8600GT. But as you can see even if we consider 100% scaling for fun (not going to happen), a single 8800GT is still ahead.


At current prices, an 8600GT is a good card, close but not quite as good as the somewhat cheaper HD2600XT. But two 8600GT is not the best for the money. It easily puts you above the cost of an 8800GS or even 9600GT, which are both better solutions for the money.

March 15, 2008 10:13:45 AM

dev1se said:
I dunno Darkstar Im using a Single 8600GT at the minute and it's not all that bad after a 25% O.C to gpu & shaders.



I have a laptop with 8700m GT SLI, and the 8700 is just an overclocked 8600 - same core, so I have used the core.

8600GT is 32 SPs at 1180MHz stock.

8800GT is 112 SPs at 1500MHz stock.

Thats 3.5 times as many SPs, clocked 27% faster.

So, I stand by my ~20-25% of the speed.
!