Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is my hardrive dead?

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Western Digital
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Share
April 11, 2009 1:17:57 AM

Hi Guys,
I have hardrive model - Western Digital-WD1200JB-00EVA0 120 GB
And it now only comes up with the grey screen WITH various starting options on the screen and it doesn't restart no matter which option you choose and it just comes back to the same screen. It also came up with a fault once with: windows/system 32/c_1253.nls

I’ve tried a hardrive repair option and it came up with this fault;

0x0000000A (0Xf94e7ac9, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8018BE45)

I’ve disabled the caching and shadowing options.

Is the hardrive dead or does anyone have any solutions for a revival?

I'm just trying to get any files back if possible.

More about : hardrive dead

April 12, 2009 3:23:10 AM

picman2 said:
Hi Guys,
I have hardrive model - Western Digital-WD1200JB-00EVA0 120 GB
And it now only comes up with the grey screen WITH various starting options on the screen and it doesn't restart no matter which option you choose and it just comes back to the same screen. It also came up with a fault once with: windows/system 32/c_1253.nls

I’ve tried a hardrive repair option and it came up with this fault;

0x0000000A (0Xf94e7ac9, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8018BE45)

I’ve disabled the caching and shadowing options.

Is the hardrive dead or does anyone have any solutions for a revival?

I'm just trying to get any files back if possible.


how tech savvy are you?
April 12, 2009 4:02:16 PM

methal said:
how tech savvy are you?


LOL. Probs not much. That "grey screen" is the BIOS. If all else fails, download a Linux OS designed for recovering data (there are loads out there) and once you have backed up your data to a USB key or something, try using Darik's boot n nuke (another iso) to format it. It has saved many of my drives which I thought were dead. Get familiar with that "grey screen"! It can be a great friend, you'll need it!
April 12, 2009 10:16:42 PM

Yes thanks for that as this was going to be my next step and I'm just waiting on a data transfer cable and I'll try that then.
April 13, 2009 4:32:38 AM

after you finish your backup, download western digital diags for dos iso. burn it to cd and boot from it. run the test
April 13, 2009 4:39:58 AM

Wgfalcon said:
after you finish your backup, download western digital diags for dos iso. burn it to cd and boot from it. run the test

Good idea. I actually might download that, as it sounds useful. Thanks. :) 
April 17, 2009 5:40:35 AM

I have just received a data transfer cable so I can hopefully transfer data from a faulty hardrive on one computer to another.
I have downloaded a couple of software programs for data transfer but they don't recognise the faulty hardrive at present.

Is there a setting I need to make in the bios that will help this software on the other computer recognise the faulty hardrive?
And what settings are they please?

I'm using two separate computers, one with the faulty drive and another unit for the transfer.
And a data transfer cable between both of them.





Xenonvector927 said:
LOL. Probs not much. That "grey screen" is the BIOS. If all else fails, download a Linux OS designed for recovering data (there are loads out there) and once you have backed up your data to a USB key or something, try using Darik's boot n nuke (another iso) to format it. It has saved many of my drives which I thought were dead. Get familiar with that "grey screen"! It can be a great friend, you'll need it!

April 17, 2009 5:51:02 AM

picman2 said:
I have just received a data transfer cable so I can hopefully transfer data from a faulty hardrive on one computer to another.
I have downloaded a couple of software programs for data transfer but they don't recognise the faulty hardrive at present.

Is there a setting I need to make in the bios that will help this software on the other computer recognise the faulty hardrive?
And what settings are they please?

I'm using two separate computers, one with the faulty drive and another unit for the transfer.
And a data transfer cable between both of them.

Sorry I can't answer the rest of your question, but I read last night that turning your hard drive upside down can be a temporary solution. Try that, and see if your problems go away. Might as well give it a shot.
!