Ethernet cable not detected !

varunmehta11

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I'd been using the Ethernet Broadband internet on my Vista Desktop for an year. But suddenly yesterday onwards the onboard Intel Pro 10/100 Ethernet Adaptor is not detecting the Ethernet cable. To check the cable i connected it to the other Ethernet Adaptor(in PCI slot of my desktop) and it also not detecting the cable. Then i connected it to my Laptop having Win XP, and it is detected instantly with internet also working properly. So i reinstalled the Intel onboard Ethernet Adaptor driver, and still the problem exist. The green LED light is not flickering at all on both the Ethernet slots. i can't understand why both the Ethernet adaptors of my desktop not detecting the cable connected.
Please provide me a solution !!

My Pc config:-
Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.06 Ghz
Intel Pro 10/100 Onboard Ethernet Adaptor
Intel 945G chipset
80Gb Hard disk
2 GB DDR2 Ram
Windows Vista Ultimate

varunmehta11

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I just now checked the same ethernet cable to another desktop with Win XP(First desktop was Vista) and yet again, this pc also did not detect the ethernet cable, as well as the green LED light on the cable slot was also not flickering.
i've noticed one thing common in both the desktops not detecting the cable is that they have 10/100 Mbps ethernet adaptors, whereas the laptop which is detecting the cable is having Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit 1 Gbps Ethernet Adpator.
Is the problem causing due to the 2 different Ethernet Adaptor types ?

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
Is it possible that the cable got stepped on / bend weird / male plug pulled on?

Try another cat5 cable and see if that works.

varunmehta11

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I've checked the ethernet cable on three ethernet adaptors in my 2 desktops(both xp and vista ) and all of them couldn't detect the cable but only laptop can detect it.
What should i do ?

rotojon1320

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
First of all, make sure that all your NIC drivers are up to date.
Go to the network connections window and right click on the appropriate adapter and disable/enable it after plugging in the cat 5.

antiacid

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2008
rotojon: if the same cable doesn't work in more than one adapter (which used to work before), chances are the culprit is the cable.

A good way of testing for that would be to use a cable tester.

G

I have the same problem on my dell dimension desktop: sudden loss of intel ethernet light and internet connection. Router and broadband modem work fine, desktop says the cable is unplugged! Desktop is clearly wrong here because swapping in 2 other cables which function fine on other systems fails to correct this problem. Wish i new the answer. Is it time to switch to Mac?

G

yo, hell of a bump here. got this problem myself now. cable works fine on any other machine. this was working just yesterday and now it's gone kaput. nothing in this thread has been helpful. help a dear friend out?

G

yo check it. turns out the prob was the power supply. fixed that, things checked out a ok. thanks for the help ASSWIEPS

smell ya later!!

vikasbodhijani

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

how to go to network connections window??

zxxxt

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
On XP go to My Computer -> My Network Places -> View Network Connections

On Win7 go to Computer - Network - Network Sharing Center

vikasbodhijani

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010

i have windows vista

G

Even I have the same problem on my pc
But just remove and re-insert Cmos battery,Don't know how??? but it work for me