Sign in with
Your question

After 2 months of perfect use, blue screen crashes... Help!

Last response: in Systems
March 4, 2008 5:50:49 PM

I built my system 2 months ago and it was running great. But just yesterday I was playing some games and each game I tried would crash my system. First I got a blue screen saying the problem was Memory management, then I got one saying Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area. So I decided I must've messed something up so I just reformatted the whole system and reinstalled.

But the problem is still continuing. I finished reinstalling the OS, but as I was reinstalling my design software(Adobe CS3) I got another crash with a bluescreen saying bad_pool_caller.

I don't know what the problem is or how to determine what the problem is. I'm guessing since it's a fresh install it's not software. If it's a hardware problem, how do I determine what the cause is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm kinda desperate since I work from home and do it all on this system.

System Specs:
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express
PC Power & Cooling S75QB EPS12V 750W Power Supply
2x CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
MSI P6N Diamond 680i Motherboard
Q6600 PCU
Memorex DVD burner
74 gig raptor HD and a 250 gig wd hd
Windows XP Pro
March 4, 2008 6:21:43 PM

Sounds like you've got a problem with your RAM. Best thing to find out is testing your RAM with a tester, but I don't believe you've got one. Another thing you should try is, since you've got 2 sticks of RAM, boot it up with only one stick, see how things work. If still getting BSODs, try with the other one. If it works fine with one stick you know the other stick is bad. Another thing you can try is running Memtest86+. Some motherboard have this feature built it, so go to your BIOS and see if you have it and leave it running for a good 60 minutes. If it is corrupted RAM it will detect. If your BIOS doesn't have it built in you can download the Memtest86+ ISO from http://www.memtest.org/, burn it to a CD and boot from that CD.

If it's RAM just RMA it since it's corsair and they've got lifetime warranty on their RAM. I've had Corsair memory RMA'd before and they're pretty fast at it.

Good luck!
March 4, 2008 6:47:45 PM

Just check you got all drivers, bios and softwares updated. I got a similar issue on Win XP Pro SP2 last fall. I was able to test all my hardware except my Mobo and my PSU, all was working fine. So I went to my local retailer, bough a completely new system, since socket 939 was dead at this time. So went on to AM2, for budget reasons, and I still got those **** BSOD. Since I had changed everything except VGA and HDD, I changed the VGA, from X1900 to 8800GT. BSOD again, checked all HDD with WD's utility, all my 3 drives were fine. I finally upgraded all drivers for every little insignificant hardware and software I could have and it seemed to have corrected the problem. But I was still getting some troubles after all, but less frequent. I finally went to vista business 64 bit, and got (finally, after almost 6 months of troubles) absolutely no problems...

So maybe you are experiencing something similar. If not, you should check for your CPU's heatsink, maybe it isn't well seated. There is some thread on this forum about problems like yours related to a bad seated heatsink.
Related resources
March 4, 2008 6:49:29 PM

+1 for sounds like a RAM issue. Definitely test it with memtest86+, if it checks out then make sure you're running the ram at it's rated voltage. I just had an issue with my MSI P6N Plat (650i) motherboard running my Crucial Ballistix below the rated voltage. In the bios it default to an 'auto' setting for memory voltage, I manually set it to 2.2v and it is much more stable.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 4, 2008 6:54:01 PM

Had similar issues recently, so I also say ram, what happened on mine is heat got trapped under the heatspreader, made the ram hot, then it fried itself. The stick was hot when I pulled it and smelled burnt. Might be something to look into. I have pretty good cooling as well, since my cpu idles at just under 30 degrees C.
March 4, 2008 8:33:17 PM

Thanks guys. It has turned out to be a ram module. Just one. I ended up testing 2 at a time and then one by one. Only the one went bad. Waiting on an RMA from corsair, but atleast I still have 2 gigs so I can keep doing my work.

I didn't notice any smell but they were hot. I've also noticed my video card(8800GTS 512) is idling hot. 78 degrees. That seems way to hot to be idling at.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 5, 2008 12:21:43 AM

I'm glad you figured it out :) 

My 8800GTX OC2 idles at 75 degrees, with the fan set to automatic in nTunes (it stays around 60%). I'd expect a stock 8800GTS G92 to run cooler - fewer transistors and newer technology at 65 nm as opposed to 80nm. If you've already got nTunes start it and see what your fan does. Maybe it's set to stay at 40% or whatever all the time and you can just turn it to automatic or move it to a higher fixed rate.

Maybe you just need a case with more fans... What case do you have, and did you add any optional fans to it? I've got five 120mm fans, for example.
!