Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Hardware
  • AMD
  • Nvidia
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 14, 2008 2:07:24 PM

Just read this article at nordic hardware. Basically they say AMD is getting much better yields than Nvidia, and that Nvidia isn't going to have the GT200 ready to fight the R7xx series.

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7495.html

I'll let you guys flame away.

More about : nvidia amd summer

March 14, 2008 2:38:13 PM

Personally I think AMD are really going to shake-up the graphics world (at the low-end with hybrid CrossFire and at the high-end with the 4870X2) and I think they're going to leave Nvidia behind a bit. It won't be domination in-line with when Nvidia released the GF 8xxx series, but I think they're going to be a fair way beyond Nvidia.
The 4xxx series is looking very promising, but unless game manu.'s start to really make games multi-GPU optimised, gaming is really not going to progress beyond where it is. I mean, the single high-end GPU has (in my opinion) peaked with the 8800GTX/Ultra, so game manu's are going to have to start programming for multi-GPU systems.
Which means, things can only (hopefully) get better! :D 
March 14, 2008 2:44:38 PM

i think AMD's radeon 4k lineup will blindside Nvidia. the geforce 9-series is realy just the 8-series again with a die shrink and a dual-GPU card. the 4k line, on the other hand, supposedly has 50% more stream processors than the current radeons. and if Nvidia doesnt have their new architecture ready to fight off R7xx, it will be new vs old.
Related resources
March 14, 2008 3:02:37 PM

Yeah LukeBird, it might be a while before we have a huge jump in performance like the 8800 series delivered. The 8800GTX really blew everything out of the water when it came out. I think competition should be much better between the 2 GPU makers meaning us consumers will reap the benefits. No more having to pay $300-400 just to get a good mid-high level graphics card (8800gts 320/640).
March 14, 2008 3:34:46 PM

I certainly hope ATI can pull something out. They have had some great hardware over the years and from what Ive read the yields on their stuff have been very good. Good yields = higher numbers = cheaper product. Lets face reality, does the average user need a $500+ video card? In most cases a $200-300 card is more than adequate as the performance market is a very small segment compared to the mainstream. I run a Intel 6300 Conroe @ 3.2ghz and Nvidia 8800 GTX setup atm, but I pull for AMD and ATI all the time. I hate a one sided game, and good competition is win for everyone.

Little history less about ATI and Nvidia here. Anyone remember the 9700 Pro? Blew Nvidia out of the water, and it took them a couple of years to recover the performance crown. Nvidia had some truly horrible cards until the 6XXX series came out. I still have a Barton 2800 and a 9700 PRO running in a old web browsing box, complete with a 80mm fan zip tied to it because the stock cooler gave up the ghost years ago on the video card.
March 14, 2008 5:15:17 PM

NV was caught sleeping at the wheel of the 8800GTX gravy train. It is a great card but price wise...wow. Not until recently the prices were a joke. They should have dropped the prices to move more units.

They also have some hardware flaws that they should have been fixing but didnt. They can't run GDDR4 and their dual GPU is still a 2 PCB solution which failed last round. NV didn't fix them and now it will hold them back. The 9800GTX is GDDR3 and the R700s are going to be GDDR5. Dude, my 6800GT is GDDR3.... [:mousemonkey:2] There is just so much recycling of old technology on NV's behalf it isn't funny. I do give them credit for their GPU development but that is about it.

Oh yeah...I do like TWIMTBP too. Is Get in The Game still running? That should be ATI's next step. They need to play the business game that NV has been dominating at.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 14, 2008 6:47:49 PM

Nordic once again proves their ignorance about these things....

S3 is going to RULE THEM ALL!!
March 14, 2008 7:53:35 PM

you forget about the larger graphics market that nv has been doing very well in. The moble unit aka cell phones nv has been making a killing at.
March 14, 2008 8:19:15 PM

I've had a feeling this was coming, ATI and NV (potentially) switching the dominant roles, yet again. NV putting too much stock into the current tech and lacking foresight. While I think it will be a rough patch for NV for a bit, I don't they're going to be in *major* trouble UNLESS they drop the ball with their GPUs like AMD did with their CPUs. *dons asbestos suit*

Hopefully NV's new chipsets coming out will bring that part of their business back in-line. IMO AMD's 780g is a big threat to what NV currently has on the market, if only AMD would release one that supports Intel (is that a pipe dream or what? :p ).
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2008 8:20:12 PM

Ive been saying for awhile now, its too bad nVidia cant produce a chip that just goes faster.
March 14, 2008 8:40:48 PM

I dont think that any AMD card will ever be better than a nVidia card.
When ATi was working on its own, they could compete with nVidia, but now? Cant see that coming... I mean, what was the first thing that AMD did? Yes, they released the X1950 Uber Edition... GENIUS AT WORK -.-
March 14, 2008 8:44:26 PM

xnamerxx said:
you forget about the larger graphics market that nv has been doing very well in. The moble unit aka cell phones nv has been making a killing at.

As has ATi....
They provide chips for Motorola, the Wii and as far as I recall the PS3. They also provide graphics units for high-end LCD and plasma TVs. So it isn't just Nvidia that has a good market spread! :) 

Oh and Ycon, you have seen the 3870X2 haven't you? :D 
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 14, 2008 9:22:55 PM

LukeBird said:
As has ATi....
They provide chips for Motorola, the Wii and as far as I recall the PS3. They also provide graphics units for high-end LCD and plasma TVs. So it isn't just Nvidia that has a good market spread! :) 

PS3 in nV X360 is ATi, but that would be mmore to your point since Xbox and Wii outsell PS3.

Motorola actually uses both companies and others. Mobile win sound grand for both companies, but they're fleeting and no one knows or cares about them on the retail end. Few people go looking for a phone for the graphics chip underneath. That may change, but currently they don't do enough with them for consumers to chose them based on that so much as the screen or colour or button layout. Even smartphones are more about the apps and CPU than the graphics chip. And both are moving to system on a chip solutions in that market, but they aren't the only ones.

I think for them it is nice positive revenue, but they don't have as much pricing power in the mobile market with so much competition and so little differentiation or recognition.
March 14, 2008 9:42:33 PM

TGGA, I was having brain problems when I wrote that!
I was thinking about the PS3 as I was typing, hence I put that instead of X360.
I knew the PS3 was Nvidia, just couldn't remember what the 360 was... :D 
Thanks, and yes I agree! :D 
March 14, 2008 10:09:04 PM

Even though AMD does own ATI, ATI is still ATI. They have done amazing things in the past as Kaldor said (I also still have an old 9700 Pro system :D ). Nvidia has also done the same, but I think right now it is ATI's time to shine. Nvidia is not infallible, and nothing is farther from the truth right now.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
March 14, 2008 10:14:06 PM

I doubt nVidia will be destroyed by ATI offerings, but rather there will once again be competition! ATI is almost there, and I think the 4000 series will bring them back to true competition. We really wouldn't want them to destroy nVidia because then they will charge astronomical prices on their chips (like nVidia does now).

One thing I want to point out is that ATI would have been in this position with or without the buyout. The 2900XT and 3870s are the standard improvement over the X1900s. ATI didin't screw up nearly as much as nVidia just hit a home run with the 8800 line.
a b U Graphics card
March 14, 2008 11:09:06 PM

nVidia was quite surprised with the performance of the 8xxx series when it came about, so were we all. Eveyone expected ATI to make this profound jump also, but it wasnt in the cards heheh . Also Id like to point out that the R600 was totally an ATI product, before the buyout. Since then the 3xxx series has come out, and its doing ok. So this nonsensical hate/dislike anything AMD just simply doesnt apply
March 14, 2008 11:39:58 PM

Kaldor said:
I certainly hope ATI can pull something out. They have had some great hardware over the years and from what Ive read the yields on their stuff have been very good. Good yields = higher numbers = cheaper product. Lets face reality, does the average user need a $500+ video card? In most cases a $200-300 card is more than adequate as the performance market is a very small segment compared to the mainstream. I run a Intel 6300 Conroe @ 3.2ghz and Nvidia 8800 GTX setup atm, but I pull for AMD and ATI all the time. I hate a one sided game, and good competition is win for everyone.

Little history less about ATI and Nvidia here. Anyone remember the 9700 Pro? Blew Nvidia out of the water, and it took them a couple of years to recover the performance crown. Nvidia had some truly horrible cards until the 6XXX series came out. I still have a Barton 2800 and a 9700 PRO running in a old web browsing box, complete with a 80mm fan zip tied to it because the stock cooler gave up the ghost years ago on the video card.

:(  Miss my 9500 Pro, gave it to my brother in law... working a x1950pro right now and all is good... me = poor/cheap = second and third gen cards. any rich/non-cheap people out there have a x1950 pro collecting dust? I'll take it? :bounce: 
March 19, 2008 1:44:34 AM

i think amd processor division should recover just like the graphics department
March 19, 2008 3:13:56 AM

Well NVIDIA better do something fast before ATI is going to beat the **** of out them. And judging by NVIDIA's cards today, they are going downhill fast.
!