Re-Building... Need tips/advice!!

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Ok, so I've got my rig listed in sig.

Today I got my Antec P180, AF7pro and MX-2 Compound.

I've never applied my own compound before, and also never had to clean existing compound off of a CPU.

I don't really know where to start, so I'm hoping for advice and tips :D

beurling

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
you can use a microfibre cloth with rubbing alcohol to clean off previous compound from the CPU. If you don't have any rubbing alcohol, then just use the cloth and do the best you can with it.

All you need on the CPU is a very small dab of compound.. the heatsink will spread it when it is clamped on to the processor. There are lots of youtube videos you can watch of people doing it, and also the arctic silver website has pictures of how much you should use.

IIRC they say one long grain of rice is about the size. Just check out the website for detailed information.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Thanks guys. When I posted this my internet went on the fritz... (damn satellites) so I just tackled the project anyway and it took about 3.5 hours. I used q-tips and toilet paper to wipe the stuff off. I used the Arctic 2-step cleaning solution stuff, and it seemed to work well. I think the HSF (AF7Pro) Came with WAY too much paste on it, it was squirting out the sides... but I decided to just leave it, and so far have had a 20 degree drop in temps. That might be also because I figured out how to use those push pin things... come to find out for the last 4-5 months my stock cooler was never attached fully.

Well anyway, thanks again.

TRENDING THREADS