Windows 7 crashes when scrolling

Status
Not open for further replies.

roycook

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
Hello,My windows 7 freezes when scrolling, either using the mouse to scroll on screen or using the mouse wheel. It does this almost every time, except sometimes when I scroll extremely slowly. The problem has persisted for months. The crash results in a striped screen. After a little while I can usually restart in Safe mode. After running for sometime in safe mode I can often restart and launch windows successfully. It runs sometimes for a few hours, sometimes for less. until I try scrolling at normal speed, then it crashes again. I have had the machine checked over for hardware issues and apparently there are none. I have been advised to do a clean re-install of Windows 7. i am reluctant to do this if there might be another way. Anyone any ideas? windows crash reporter says:-
sysdata xml werinternalmetadata xml

Solution
Are you monitoring your system temperatures in any way? If not, try hwmonitor (just google it and get the free edition). We need to verify that you aren't overheating your GPU.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
We need the specifications for your system to identify any possible solutions. First, however, I suspect you may have a video issue (since you can run in safe mode). Be sure to list the make/model of your power supply, video card, and motherboard, in addition to all installed devices and peripherals.

roycook

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
HP Pavilion dv9500 Entertainment Notebook PC series
DV9550T -
Processor type Intel® Centrino® Duo processor technology
• Intel® Core™2 Duo processor T7500
• 2.20 GHz , 4 MB L2 Cache, 800 MHz FSB
• Intel® PRO/Wireless 802.11a/b/g WLAN Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7500 (2.20 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
17.0" WXGA+ High-Definition Ultra HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1440 x 900)
2GB DDR2 System Memory
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
HP Imprint Finish (Radiance) + Webcam + Microphone
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth(TM)
200GB 7200RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (100GB x 2)
Where can I find out what motherboard is installed?

roycook

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I believe that I did do this several months ago, in an attempt to fix this problem, but that it didn't work. however, I have now downloaded and installed it and will see if it works and then let you know. Thanks.

roycook

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
After installing the nvidia driver and re-starting my computer, it crashed in the same way as before. This time it happened while I was in print command window. Screen went black leaving just a small square about 1" square. So unfortunately that fix doesn't seem to have worked.

roycook

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I have downloaded hwmonitor and installed it OK.
In the meantime, a few weeks ago I decided to bite the bullet and re-install windows 7 on the same drive after creating a separate 'compartment' (not the right term) on it. During these weeks I have been using both versions of windows. The new version worked fine for several weeks until a couple of days ago when it crashed in a similar way to the other version, though it happened when trying to print, not when scrolling.
Now I can only run either version in Safe Mode. The fact that this error occurs in both versions does this indicate a hardware issue? I noticed when I re-installed windows 7 that HP do not categorize my laptop as suitable for Windows 7. I noticed some time ago that when I had the screen resolution se so that there was a wide black bar down each side of the screen that it seemed to run for long time without crashing. Sorry, its such a complicated question, but I'm clutching at straws and just about to chuck this laptop about as far as I can thow it. Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.