Sign in with
Your question

Investing in AMD a good idea?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • AMD
Last response: in CPUs
March 31, 2008 9:44:50 PM

I know this isn't the right place for this topic, but it does involve CPU's :) 

Anyway, I have been watching the market for sometime now and am thinking of purchasing a couple hundred shares of AMD while it is low. Anyone have any input on this? Good/bad idea, etc?

Thanks for looking

More about : investing amd good idea

March 31, 2008 10:45:59 PM

I think your chances of a return are a little better than buying a winning lottery ticket.

If I were investing I would look at companies supplying memory chips to companies making solid state drives.
April 1, 2008 12:02:51 AM

That would be very risky. There is no guarantee that AMD's chips will improve anytime soon.
Related resources
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 1, 2008 12:26:51 AM

Even if AMD's chips improve there is no guarantee that their stock will soar. Look at Ford. Currently their cars are rated up with Toyota in quality and some being rated better quality than Toyota by owners yet their stock hovers at $7-$9 dollars.

Of course though Ford has yet to fully return to profitability so that might be why thier stock has yet to go back up. But then the same could be said for AMD. Of course profitability would be selling more chips and gaining market share for AMD.

The cohoice is yours really. Right now tey are low and might not go lower but no guarantee they will go higher either.
April 1, 2008 1:00:05 AM

I bought $1,000 of AMD stock. I studied for a while and predict a fairly large return, wether it be soon or later.
April 1, 2008 1:13:10 AM

Making money off that is about the same odds as winning the 5 million in yahoos ncaa brackets. :) 

lol, Just kidding.
April 1, 2008 11:22:07 AM

If you invest AMD stock maybe one day you can recover by wish some more guys buy AMD CPU, but if you invest for AMD CPU..... :??:  :( 
April 1, 2008 11:40:12 AM

I hope he was making an april fools joke when he said he went ahead and invested in amd
April 1, 2008 12:12:56 PM

Buy low, sell high. Right now AMD stock is pretty low - closed at under $6 yesterday. If you think AMD has any future at all, then now would be a good time to buy. My guess is that it will, eventually, go back up.
April 1, 2008 12:24:42 PM

anthropelexis said:
I know this isn't the right place for this topic, but it does involve CPU's :) 

Anyway, I have been watching the market for sometime now and am thinking of purchasing a couple hundred shares of AMD while it is low. Anyone have any input on this? Good/bad idea, etc?

Thanks for looking
Good Lord man, I hope you're not basing your investment strategy upon the ramblings of a tech site discussion forum. :ouch:  There's plenty of financial information out there if you look for it - weigh this against professional reviews, current and past performance, press releases... Due Diligence, my friend. Weigh all the facts - having a good product is only one part of the picture.
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2008 12:37:26 PM

Buy when a company starts doing well. Sell when success abounds.
Right now there is a lot of uncertainty with AMD.
Not the right time to buy in my opinion.
April 1, 2008 12:40:50 PM

The only way for AMD stock is up IMO.
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2008 1:10:18 PM

I will tell you one thing for certain. The fastest way to financial ruin is to base your investments on advice from a forum.
April 1, 2008 2:00:05 PM

Isn't a bit immoral buying AMD stocks?

It's like stepping over a dead body to make money...

Hehe!!

(sorry AMD, I still love you)
April 1, 2008 2:09:07 PM

I think most of the kids on here (and I don't mean that in a derogatory way!) see shares as an easy way to make money. i.e. pick your company and see if you win or lose....
At the moment with the fragility of the US economy unless you could afford to lose the money you're considering investing, don't even think about it.
I don't think it's an if on whether the US enters recession, but when. Your economy is hurting badly and your money will bleed away the moment the companies start to suffer.
Also AMD's share price is probably governed more by shareholder outlook than their products. Remember, for an open-trading company, the shareholders in effect decide the companies fate... :)  / :( 
April 1, 2008 2:12:56 PM

Amiga500 said:

or delisted in which case the stock can become worthless. :heink: 
April 1, 2008 2:20:35 PM

pip_seeker said:
or delisted in which case the stock can become worthless. :heink: 

Why would they delist now?

Not with samples of Shanghai out and about (with people very impressed apparently), their new FireGL kicking Quadro, R700 due in the summer, the chipset division going from strength to strength...

Everyone looks at Phenom and thinks AMD are doomed, while every other part of AMD (apart from DESKTOP CPUs) now have extremely strong product portfolios, and are looking like they will get stronger before they get weaker.
a b à CPUs
April 1, 2008 8:03:29 PM

As was said above, if the world's economy tanks, most tech stocks are gonna drop. After all, people will buy groceries and gasoline before a new computer or PDA or other techie gadget. Especially if they think they might get laid off. A financially weak company like AMD currently is, is more at risk than one with a lot in reserve. Survival of the fittest, yadda-yadda.

Quarterly reports should be out in a few weeks - we'll see just how well the facts matched up to the predictions made at the last analysts meeting..
April 1, 2008 8:23:22 PM

fazers_on_stun said:
As was said above, if the world's economy tanks, most tech stocks are gonna drop.

All stocks will probably drop, so no investments are good then! :) 
April 1, 2008 8:47:35 PM

Amiga500 said:

Not with samples of Shanghai out and about (with people very impressed apparently), their new FireGL kicking Quadro, R700 due in the summer, the chipset division going from strength to strength...

Everyone looks at Phenom and thinks AMD are doomed, while every other part of AMD (apart from DESKTOP CPUs) now have extremely strong product portfolios, and are looking like they will get stronger before they get weaker.

Yes AMD has currently got a very strong portfolio (except for the desktop cpu's). However most of these products revolve around using Phenom which nobody currently wants.
April 1, 2008 9:11:58 PM

Amiga500 said:
All stocks will probably drop, so no investments are good then! :) 

Not necessarily... A finance company would still be a wise investment! :lol: 
It would be a bit of a gamble to invest in company such as AMD or Intel at present, it'd certainly be interesting to keep an eye on the strength (weakness) of the dollar as it has dropped against the pound again recently.
Unless I could happily afford to lose the money I wouldn't be touching stocks at the moment.
I'f be paying off any money I owed! (Which I am!)
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
April 1, 2008 9:28:19 PM

Amiga500 said:

gpippas said:
Yes AMD has currently got a very strong portfolio (except for the desktop cpu's). However most of these products revolve around using Phenom which nobody currently wants.

Um... the R670(HD3870) is a nice CPU. But it took a year for that to come. The Chipsets are ok for regular people yes. Not for everyone. Glad this one offers something nice.

But remember that the name is AMD and they are known to the normal people as a CPU maker. Thats where most of their money is where as Intels other lines are much larger due to them being out longer.

LukeBird said:
Not necessarily... A finance company would still be a wise investment! :lol: 
It would be a bit of a gamble to invest in company such as AMD or Intel at present, it'd certainly be interesting to keep an eye on the strength (weakness) of the dollar as it has dropped against the pound again recently.
Unless I could happily afford to lose the money I wouldn't be touching stocks at the moment.
I'f be paying off any money I owed! (Which I am!)

This much is true. Right now CitiBank would be a better investment than AMD. Heck at about $20 bucks a share and the ability and belief by many analysts of going back to $55-60/share it would give you much more. AMD could remain stagnant and probably wont shoot back up to $40 bucks unless they creat a Intel killer again. And that might never happen. Yes they may compete but a killer CPU again may never happen.
April 1, 2008 9:28:33 PM

Well the DOW went up ~300 points today along with AMD, but like everyone else said no one is going to be buying tech stocks for a while until all stocks go up.
April 1, 2008 9:38:35 PM

I have made -alot- of money with AMD stock just buying/selling in 1-2K shares with a move of 50 cents many months (even weeks) over the years.

You have to remember that AMD does alot more than CPU's,chipsets,GFX,cell phone chips and general IC'.

Lets say you are playing with $10K and both INTC (Intel) and AMD move 50 cents up in any week...you will own -alot- more shares for the same $10K investment of AMD than INTC and thus make many times more income.

I wish some of my CD's had been ready to renew when AMD was down to $5.31 a few weeks back!
If I -had- to sale it today ( at this time of day) I would have earned $768 for each 1K shares...far more than any CD over a year.

HP is now shipping the B3 revision of the AMD quad for the server market.
If you are not into working the stock on a day-to-day lvl then hold on to it...I fully expect it to go up over 100% value in the next 12-24 months or so even in todays crapy economy.

I am still holding onto many K of stock from alot of companies that I had befor last summers House Report when ALL stock went on a 6+ month drop that I may have to keep for a year or even a bit longer befor I make profit on them...yet I still buy/sale with other shares and earn income far above the 3.2+% the bank gives me on six month CD's this month...and can do it in 1-2 weeks time.
April 1, 2008 9:45:39 PM

If AMD even just returns to breaking even you will be rewarded handsomely. AMD doesn't seem as risky now that they seem to be at least moving in the right direction. Their new integrated graphics seem very promising and will help sell processors as well.
April 1, 2008 9:56:48 PM

TechnologyCoordinator said:
If AMD even just returns to breaking even you will be rewarded handsomely. AMD doesn't seem as risky now that they seem to be at least moving in the right direction. Their new integrated graphics seem very promising and will help sell processors as well.

I don't do this to "break even".
This is what pays my bills and adds some money for my "older age".

I have not worked in the past six years other than sit and torrent while I play games and checking the prices 6-8 times a day.

April 1, 2008 9:59:02 PM

Thats the problem though. It always used to be the other way around. You bought the cpu because it was good and just bought a chipset that was at least adequate and didn't have any major downfalls. Now you have a very appealing chipset with lots of nice features but you have to pair it with an inadequate cpu (B3 not as bad as B2). In the OEM market it will probably help to sell Phenoms but in the retail market it won't make any difference. I have never considered a cpu becuase of the chipset. The cpu will always come first.
April 1, 2008 10:06:49 PM

You're asking this question in a forum of Intel fanboys. AMD's stock is at a very low point, though I'm fairly confident that AMD will come back eventually. I don't know when, but it will happen. Perhaps when Bulldozer and AM3 hits. I was actually thinking of buying some AMD stock myself.
April 1, 2008 10:18:02 PM

ZOldDude said:
I don't do this to "break even".
I don't think that's what he said...
April 1, 2008 11:53:48 PM

spongebob said:
I don't think that's what he said...

Correct.

I meant if AMD can stop losing money each quarter and post a break-even earning result their stock will go up drastically. I can see AMD's stock jumping up to around 9-10 dollars if they break even.
April 2, 2008 9:47:55 AM

Correct.
I can see AMD's stock jumping up to around 9-10 dollars if they break even.

I'd be very surprised if they break even this quarter.

Barcelona only started shipping in high volumes quite recently, very late to significantly impact the quarter.

Tri-cores are very recent for the OEMs, as is the 780G.

Q2 and Q3 results will more accurately reflect the impact of these developments.
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2008 12:13:16 PM

Financially AMD is a shaky company with diminuishing equity.
It is a high risk investment for those that are able to risk money.
As far as the field is concerned, today everything is dependent on computers. Comapnies need to replace computers and depend on them for the daily operation.

a b à CPUs
April 2, 2008 12:29:13 PM

I think the rumour of it splitting into AMD Design and AMD Foundry is a very real possibility.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/02/...

IF AMD Foundry takes the hit and the Arabs buy the lot (UAE) ... then we have an interesting time ... considering who the majority shareholders are for Intel ... think this through.

AMD Design would be then fabless ... with little debt if any?.

What would happen regarding the stocks??

April 2, 2008 12:43:35 PM

Don't ask tech dorks in a forum about investment advise. The same people giving you advise also are people to spent 2K on their computer. I'm giving honest advise, not any kind of troll.
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2008 12:50:31 PM

Amiga500 said:

There is a lot to said about this statement.
My 2 cents:
If ever a time was to buy cheap stock with a reasonable chance to make a huge profit if you can afford to buy and wait for years, maybe even 20 years, I would say this is one of those times.
This is only my opinion, and I know nothing......
April 2, 2008 1:13:03 PM

Anyway you can't [redict he future.. just think o the possibilites that could happen to AMD and decide. Right noe considering the facts. I got a Question mark on my head
April 2, 2008 1:44:36 PM

lolitha said:
Anyway you can't [redict he future.. just think o the possibilites that could happen to AMD and decide. Right noe considering the facts. I got a Question mark on my head

Well you're the sort of person that shouldn't invest then...
The whole idea behind investing is using your 'crystal ball' to see where you can make money!
If you're new to investing one of the easiest things to invest in is Gold. Prices stablilise very quickly following any drop and the value is pretty much constant. :) 
April 2, 2008 2:02:55 PM

AMD has an in on the affordable pc market and i think that is a bit more lucrative then people expect. I think engineering/R&D will always be the bane of AMD in cost/expense management but i expect the only way for AMD to go is up. If anything - the price may fall then they would be a huge acquisition target for another company looking for what they have IP wise and they would probably get an offer most investors couldn't/wouldn't refuse :) 

just my 2 cents
April 2, 2008 2:04:48 PM

jitpublisher said:
There is a lot to said about this statement.
My 2 cents:
If ever a time was to buy cheap stock with a reasonable chance to make a huge profit if you can afford to buy and wait for years, maybe even 20 years, I would say this is one of those times.
This is only my opinion, and I know nothing......

I agree with your opinion and agree that i know nothing that would sustain it other than value proposition and how over the years its probably a safe/smart investment compared to buying into companies that are already grossly overrated :) 
a b à CPUs
April 2, 2008 2:49:30 PM

Reynod said:
I think the rumour of it splitting into AMD Design and AMD Foundry is a very real possibility.

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/02/...

IF AMD Foundry takes the hit and the Arabs buy the lot (UAE) ... then we have an interesting time ... considering who the majority shareholders are for Intel ... think this through.

AMD Design would be then fabless ... with little debt if any?.

What would happen regarding the stocks??

Not that I've paid much attention to these rumors, but this seems to be an implicit admission by AMD that they are behind on process, having to rely on IBM pretty much for the last few years and now the low clock speeds for Barcie. Yeah I know that IBM, AMD et al have their consortium but it seems to always be IBM announcing the latest and greatest process tricks, usually a day after Intel's similar announcement :) . AMD's design seems better than their process, except for the TLB bug misstep, which I think is more a mismatch between the design and the process since it appears to be related to the speed of some critcal paths.

However by outsourcing production, AMD is going to suffer even lower margins I think - obviously the foundry has to make a profit.

If the roles become reversed, where the foundry markets the product and employs AMD as a design contractor, then AMD's stock might really take off after somebody buys their foundry and maybe ATI.
April 2, 2008 5:27:26 PM

Mishra100 said:
Don't ask tech dorks in a forum about investment advise. The same people giving you advise also are people to spent 2K on their computer. I'm giving honest advise, not any kind of troll.

ROFL, best advice in the entire thread!
April 2, 2008 8:21:48 PM

amd has just complete a double bottom - only time will tell but i think this is a true double bottom.
!