Cooler for Q6600 + 780i?

nemesis75

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2008
I currently have a Q6600 overclocked to 3.4ghz. My CPU cooler right now is a Thermaltake MaxOrb. My idle temperatures range from 55-65 according to coretemp. When i ran prime95 in the first 30 seconds it reached temp of 80C+ almost 90. I know this is too hot so im getting a new heatsink. I was thinking of the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer. I have a evga 780i motherboard and Apevia X-Jupiter Full Tower case and was wondering if the cooler would fit. Thank you in advance.

swat565

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
80c to 90c is wayyyy unsafe, im suprised your computer isnt shutting down due to thermal throttling...id downclock ASAP until u get a dif cooler...id recomend a thermaltake 120 or hyper 212 (currently using and it seems to work great). that cpu cooler seems like a offbrand one and would highly NOT recomend buying it

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Try this: clock your chip back to stock. Run the tests again. If you see significant spikes, you know you have a problem that the heat sink isn't correctly seated. If you see fairly normal temps, you know your cooler can't handle the heat by the OC quad. It seems odd...that thing looks massive, but I did see on the TechPowerup review

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Thermaltake/MaxOrb/6.html

that there were issues with the seating of the cooler and retention. Possibly issues you are encountering? It got a good score with those being the cons.

There is also the possibility that you have a screwy fan/heat sensor on your board for your CPU.