Sign in with
Your question

HDD not found by Vista or W7 on install

Last response: in Storage
April 12, 2009 12:56:23 AM

I was recently playing with my processor speed and memory trying to tweak it. I got the BSOD. I reboot ok, run cc cleaner which clears the memory dump from the bsod. Come back to find a black screen, hard shut down, reboot. error:no bootable device... I run the vista x64 startup repair, and admittedly get impatient and force shutdown. Reboot error: trouble loading operating system... OK maybe repair was working. Run repair again, Startup repair cannot solve this issue.

I pull the drive (Western Digital) and connect it to a laptop. Laptop (also Vista x64 hp tablet pc 2500x) says I have to format to use. Ok, format, make active, assign a drive letter. Laptop see drive G: as an available storage device. Put back in and put in my legal, legit, from Microsoft Vista x64 DVD. Doesn't see a hdd.

I go to Staples and pay an egregious amount for a Seagate hdd because, as I covered, I am impatient. Install hdd, put in my Vista disc and it finds the drive, I install Vista (now W7), the computer sees the Western Digital as storage. It works out because I am now on Windows 7 and use one drive for programs and OS, one drive for media, and the 3rd as a location for backups. Buts still...

Anyone know what is up with this?

Asus M2N-SLI
AMD X2 6400+ 3.3ghz
Nvidia GeForce 8600 gt 1gb
GeiL Black Dragon 4 x 2gb
Seagate 500gb SATA
Western Digital 250gb SATA
Western Digital 200gb EIDE
April 12, 2009 1:28:57 AM

Bios settings?
April 12, 2009 3:17:57 AM

DL Linux mint, run live CD, open a terminal and type "sudo gparted"

if it says i/o error when trying to load then you have a bad drive. Windows wont see it on install because frankly windows is stupid. It will see it when you format it through the USB once installed because again windows is stupid. But if you try to use it it will goober up. if you have an I/O error.
Related resources
April 12, 2009 8:45:20 AM

methal said:
DL Linux mint, run live CD, open a terminal and type "sudo gparted"

if it says i/o error when trying to load then you have a bad drive. Windows wont see it on install because frankly windows is stupid. It will see it when you format it through the USB once installed because again windows is stupid. But if you try to use it it will goober up. if you have an I/O error.

I tried linux mint before and liked it, but I'm not good enough with linux to put it on my main desktop, I may build a small tower or put it on an old laptop.

There was no I/O error. I am using the Western Digital as storage for my media and it works fine. But, if I leave only the Western Digital in when trying to install, it isn't seen...

The BIOS sees the drive, my bios shows everything correctly.

April 12, 2009 4:00:12 PM

Use the WD tools to repair the drive. And then do a quick wipe. I just had the exact same issue yesterday and it worked perfect. You can download from WD or lke me, I found it on the Ultimate Boot CD.
June 6, 2009 10:24:04 PM

Somehow I managed to get it working as my main drive again, I don't remember how. I just wanted to past and thank all of you for your help and replies
!