Sign in with
Your question

Home network setup

Last response: in Wireless Networking
May 5, 2009 8:05:27 PM

I am looking to make use of an old system I have at home and make it into a network server.

Here is my problem:

I am currently with Virgin and so my modem is also my wireless router. I have my "server" hard wired (via ethernet cable) into the router and I would like anyone who wishes to log onto my network to have to go through the server first. The server computer is currently empty with no OS on it but I have Debian, Ubuntu Server, and Windows Server all available if required.

The Server PC is a 1.2Ghz Pentium with 2 gig ram

I have a PS3 (wireless), a Wii (wireless), a PSP (wireless), 2 laptops (1 Vista and 1 XP home, both wireless), 1 netbook (linux, wireless), and 1 desktop PC (Vista home, wireless) that connect to my network.

I dont want anyone to bypass the server, I dont want them to be able to connect directly to the router to get online either.

Is this possible?

More about : home network setup

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
May 6, 2009 5:29:11 AM

You can block all wireless users except those identified by MAC addressed listed by you -- it's a setting in the router.
May 6, 2009 10:40:30 AM

Thats not quite what I mean, I know I can block all wireless users and only allow access to certain people, but thats not what im looking for.

I want everyone who has access to be connected to the server via the wireless router.
!