Sign in with
Your question

P5Q Pro first overclock problem (PCI speed)

Last response: in Overclocking
October 14, 2008 7:53:49 AM

Hi all, I am running a q9450 at stock on an Asus P5Q Pro motherboard (p45 chipset). Once a new cooler arrives I am planning on attempting an overclock of 10 - 20% to 3 - 3.2 Ghz, preferably at stock voltage. I have only overclocked once before so do not have much experience but have been reading various stickies on this forum and others.

However I have run in to a potential problem before I have started - I have looked through the bios and whilst there is an option to fix the PCI-E frequency at 100mhz there is no option at all for fixing standard PCI frequency. As I understand it, this will therefore be raised as I raise my FSB (which would be at 400mhz if overclock is successful). Some people suggest that the increase in PCI frequency can cause problems with SATA devices, such as causing hard-drive corruption.

Obviously, as I am inexperienced I am slightly concerned about this - however surely there is a way around it as not everyone with a P5Q runs their processor at stock? So with that in mind I have a few questions:-

Where can I check what frequency the PCI bus is running at?

Does anyway know how I can fix the PCI frequency, or perhaps if the mobo does so automatically (I couldn't find anything with google or on asus forum)?

At what bus speed is this likely to become an issue?

Thanks for your time - Ben
October 14, 2008 10:35:58 AM

ey Ben

I have an Asus PK5-SE/EPU, with what I figure to be a near-identical BIOS that has no individual PCI speed setting. The standard PCI seems to run at 1/3, or 33MHz, regardless of what speed I set the FSB or PCI-E to.

The program SetFSB will allow you to change FSB and PCI frequencies in Windows. Find your mobo and PLL chip in the list on that page, bring it up in the program. FSB and CPU speed are linked, but I can only adjust the PCI-E frequency, and the 33Mhz stays constant.

Remember, a high FSB set in Windows might not equal a speed your system can handle and crash, then fail to POST, so setting speeds in BIOS is always preferred.

E: If you're not 100% sure how to work this program, DO NOT USE IT! You don't want it to set an FSB of an infillion MHZ because it changes the wrong settings for a different make of PLL chip than you have on your mobo.
October 14, 2008 10:44:09 AM

Thanks Johnny, from what I am reading elsewhere as well it seems that the PCI speed will be fixed at 33mhz which is good! I will stick to upping the FSB in the bios. Thanks again! - Ben
!