CPU reported temps differ greatly between monitor apps...why?

zenthor

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
I have PCProbe (came with Asus Rampage MB) and Nvidia System monitor. The results they each report on my CPU temp are not even close. Asus says idle temp is around 46c, but Nvidia says 72c. Bios says yet a third number, but it is at least close to the Asus Probe one.
In any event, when I run ANY game, cpu overheats...gets to 90+ celcius both pcprobe and nvidia monitor go nuts and I shut down pc. I have no idea what is wrong but first thing I am going to do is to take off stock sink/cooler and replace with Zelman.
System is :Asus Formula Rampage MB, Intel Quad q9550, 8gig corsair DDR2, BFG 9800 gx2 (this thing is a nucular plant...can heat whole house with it).
Since the programs differ greatly in temps reported, could I be getting false readings somehow? Would not 90+ celcius have toasted the CPU if it were true?
Thanks.

leo2kp

Distinguished
That is hot for sure. I think you have two issues here. First off, your CPU seems to be running hot no matter what the monitors say. So you may want to look at your cooling a little bit and make sure your heatsink is on correctly and that you have enough intake/exhaust. That video card doesn't push the heat out the back as much as other cards do. Some of it is spewed back in to the case which sucks. Secondly, each monitor will read the sending units differently. Unfortunately they don't send out actual temperatures. I'm not sure exactly how they read them, but I do know that each monitoring software will read it differently. For example, my own BIOS will tell me my CPU runs at 25C idle, but as soon as I get in to Windows it will idle at 35C according to Gigabyte's monitoring software. Who to trust?! Intel is incorporating a much more accurate temperature monitoring system in to their new architecture I think so hopefully that will help. Not sure what else to say :-/ Good luck? :p

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Hopefully you have a newer case with more than two 120mm fans. You got a modern hot setup there, you need a new CPU cooler for sure and check your case setup and wire management. Google your case and the words wire management, see what you come up with.

pont

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2004
these two work the best imo
coretemp http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

realtemp http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

there are others aswell but you would have to see witch one works best for you

pbrigido

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Be careful when applying the thermal paste. Too much can act as an insulator.

If you have the heatsink secure on the mobo and CPU, that should lower its temps. My 9500 with the Zalman 9700 runs from 29-33C. As long as you hit below 40, you will be running in a safe zone.