lschmidt

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
I'll be building my computer today and was wondering, other than getting all the physical hardware installed, what other steps will I want to take to make sure my entire system is set up for maximum performance? For example, I hear people use the term "flashing the bios" and I assume it just means updating the BIOS but how do you do it?

What other things will I want to do as part of the initial build?

hawkspur

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Unless you have hardware compatibility issues that require you to flash the BIOS, don't worry about flashing it. Be sure to take your time and install everything correctly and enjoy!

Put your data on a seperate partion as your OS and Apps. Some people go as far as to making a partion for their OS, Page file, Apps, and data. I think one for OS/APPs and then another for data is the minimum. How many drives or how large are they?

We have Sata now so no IDE issues. Um.... make sure you have proper case flow. Tie down your wires with zippy ties and keep it clean so air can flow. Um..... not much else really.

lschmidt

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
I have one 500GB HDD, and will be installing Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit OEM.

What partitioning scheme and filesystem would you recommend?

And will I have the option to do this during the normal vista install?

How much data and how many apps do you have? I neededa good chunk to install all my games so on a 250GB I put 150GB for OS and apps and 100GB for DATA. I also have a junk 250GB that I put images on and odds and ends, and an external 250GB for backing up my system.

If you don't have alot of apps but alot of data you can do 100/400. it's up to you. filesystem? NTFS like everything else.

lschmidt

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
I'm thinking...

1 partition for the OS and pagefile (XX GB??)
1 partition for apps and data (rest of GB)

How much would be enough for the OS partition?

Not sure what vista is, but you can install XP with all updates on 2GB. It all has to do with your apps. You don't want to short yoruself for future apps or games though. 100GB is a good number to start with.

doubletake33

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
before you start gaming, one must calm down after building a new PC and do memtest 1st.

week before last i was too damn giddy still and spent more money on cooling products because i thought my card was overheating and causing CTDs. when i settled down i ran memtest86+ and found the source of my whole probs.

please don't repeat my mistake. and at the very least make 2 passes to be sure the mem is good. good luck with the build and have fun!

rabidtech

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
Best tips I could give you.....

1) Time is your friend! Don't hurry! http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/ange.gif
:ange:
2) Pay attention to your manuals!http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/non.gif
:non:
3) Partition your HD(s)! http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/tongue.gif
:p
- OS on primary partition
- Data on logical drives in extended partitions
This will save you if you must re-install your OS

4) Enjoy what you've built!
http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/bounce.gif
:bounce:

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
I'm lazy, can't be bothered to seperate out apps, swap file etc. on seperate partitions.

Vista ultimate 32 bit, office 2007, and the usual other apps (adobe, photoshop, several games) take up about 50 GB of my primary drive. I don't know what you intend to do, but that is a baseline from which to start.

And, to poke Jay2tall a bit, make sure you wear your baseball cap backwards, so you can be cool.

Keep it simple, if you have one hard drive, use it all for one partition. If you have two, put the os on one, and data on the other. Partitioning is useful if you want a dual boot system. If you don't know why you are partitioning, then you don't have the environment that it would help.

Mount the cpu cooler with the mobo out of the case. Look at the pushpins until you understand exactly how they work. Push in two diagonal pins at once, then the other two. Look at the back of the mobo to be certain that all 4 pins are securely all the way in, and that the cooler is not loose.

---good luck---

lschmidt

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Woohoo, I finally have the cpu installed, ac freezer 7 pro installed, the ram installed, and the motherboard is securely in the case. That took a really long time.

Does anyone know if my CPU could have been damaged when I dropped from about 12 inches onto a wooden floor, and yes it have the black cover protecting the contact points, and yes the cover stayed on after the fall.

Also, 2 out of the 9 motherboard screws are not able to screw into the standoff all the way (I can slide my fingernail between the screw and the motherboard), so those two screws basically do nothing to secure the board down. Any idea why, and if it matters? No, I didn't use the little cardboard washers because I don't think I need to with this motherboard (95% sure).

You probably used the wrong screws; there are two types that are very close. See if they will screw into a spare standoff before you use them. If you use the wrong screws with bigger heads, they can short out the mobo. Take them out and check them.

Dropped cpu is likely ok.

lschmidt

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2006
Couple updates:

Ok, it's actually 3 motherboard screws that don't go down far enough to actually hold the motherboard down. I've tried taking the screws from other holes that do go down far enough, and they don't work either. Anyone know what's up with that?

I also managed to strip a screw that holds the HDD cage in the case. Luckily this screw, like I said, only screws through the outside of the case and into the HDD cage (not the actual HDD). The bad part is I can't get it out now, which means I can't take out my hard drive until I can get that screw out.

I also now have a TON of cables that need to be connected, I'll see if I can figure out wiring up the motherboard now.