Sign in with
Your question

Help for choosing the perfect PC

Last response: in Systems
March 5, 2008 2:25:55 PM

Hello brainies. ;) 

I would like some help for choosing the parts to build a new gaming machine.

First of all, I have some questions:

Question 1: I've heard that some parts does work better together- Is that true?

Question 2: Is SLI running best - or is Crossfire running best? In my finance, SLI would be two Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT - and Crossfire would be two ATI Radeon 3870

Question 3: Which PSU (Power Supply Unit) do I need for running SLI or Crossfire?

My suggestion for a new PC is this:

Motherboard: MSI P7N SLI Platinum

SLI Graphics: ASUS EN8800GT TOP/G/HTDP (512 MB) (Two graphic cards)

RAM: 4 GB Kingston HyperX (DUAL RAM 800 MHZ)

Case: NorthQ 2500 Acrylic Case Bundle (Please feel free to tell me if you know where to get any prettier ACRYL case which of course shall support ATX motherboard-form)

Processor: Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz

Harddisk: WD Raptor WD1500ADFD 150 GB (10000 rpm)

Power Supply: Which one????

Please tell me if you KNOW any better parts, which costs around the same.

And please tell me if you know any specs (a whole PC) which works better, which should cost the same aswell.

If you decide to show me a setup which works better, it should cost around 2000$.

Thank you for your help and time. I really appriciate that.

More about : choosing perfect

March 5, 2008 3:45:43 PM

For PSUs...

I would personally buy an OCZ GameXStream or a Corsair, probably at least 700w with your setup.

But check out what Tom has to say.

http://www.tomswiki.com/page/Tiered+PSU+Listings?t=anon

I would drop the ASUS GT's and go eVGA or XFX. You can use the step-up if you ever need to with eVGA, and you get a lifetime warranty with both.
March 5, 2008 6:07:31 PM

So you mean that I should go for a solo graphic card? eVGA is allmost slower then one of my single ASUS GT's.

eVGA's specs:

e-GeForce 9600 GT SSC 512MB

Part Number 512-P3-N867-AR

Core Clock Speed 740MHz

Stream Processors 64

Memory Clock Speed 1950MHz

Memory Bandwidth 62.4GB/sec

Shader Clock Speed 1835MHz

Bus PCI-E

Interface DVI-I, DVI-I, HDTV-7

ASUS GT's specs:

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT / PCI Express 2.0 x16

Analogt videosignal: S-Video, Sammensat video

API-understøttet: OpenGL 2.0, DirectX 10

Digital videostandard: Digital Visual Interface (DVI)

Grafik Interface: PCI Express 2.0 x16

Grafikkort: Grafikadapter

Grafikprocessor: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Grafikprocessor producent: NVIDIA

HDCP-kompatibel: Ja

Kerne Clock hastighed: 700 MHz

Max. opløsning: 2560 x 1600

Model: Indstikskort

Tv-grænseflade: HDTV ud

Video adapter egenskaber: ASUS Splendid Video Enhancing Technology, ASUS SmartDoctor, Nvidia Quantum Effects Technology, ASUS GamerOSD, ASUS Video Security Online

Videohukommelse:

512 MB DDR3 SDRAM / 2 GHz

Busbredde: 256-bit

Ram type: DDR3 SDRAM

Video clock hastighed: 2 GHz

Video Hukommelse: 512 MB

Video Hukommelse: 512 MB

Isn't dual graphics better? Or..
Related resources
March 5, 2008 7:30:21 PM

I was not saying to buy a single card.

I meant to get 2 eVGA GeForce 8800 gt's rather than 2 ASUS 8800 gt's. Your performance will not change, but you get a lifetime warranty with the eVGA cards.
March 6, 2008 1:09:53 AM

What size is your monitor, SLI or XFire may not even be worth doing at this time.
March 6, 2008 1:57:06 AM

You would be best off dropping the Acrylic case, and buying a case with much better airflow.

Acrylic= B!t<h to clean (must do so constantly), fingerprints and scratches very easily, Fried one of my old builds, and 3 friends had the same problem (severe static issues)

as for a Power supply, I use this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

With the exception of the fan on my 8800GTS 512, my system is almost silent. (only downside is it has partial modular cables)
March 6, 2008 5:50:00 AM

chuckm said:
What size is your monitor, SLI or XFire may not even be worth doing at this time.

The size of my monitor will be 24"

You say that it may not be worth running SLI or Xfire?

The reason that I've choosen SLI (or XFIRE), is to play Age of Conan. So I want to make sure that my pc is running AoC (Age of Conan) stable.
March 6, 2008 6:18:43 AM

I just ordered a computer last week with this thought process. I'm just like you upgrading mostly for Age of Conan and also Spore but I don't think Spore will really need a insane system, anyway.

I would recommend getting this video card for now.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Then when the 9800GX2 GPU's come out they will support SLI even if the motherboard doesn't. This is great news because I bought ASUS Maximum Extreme that doesn't support SLI but seems like the most badass mobo on the market right now.

That 8800GT will be more then enough power for the games right now, save your money and don't go all out, just yet.
March 6, 2008 7:28:06 AM

2 3870s will be out performed by a single 3870X2. Just to let you know you will be able to run that on a X38 chipset or P35. Your choice. However 2 8800GTs (if you have the money) will run faster. The 9800X2 comes out this month, perhaps its worth waiting?
!