Could use some help deciding

nicros

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
I have a evga 680i with a tuniq tower 120, geil DDR2 800 ram and an e6600 right now. The 680i runs friggin hot, has a noisy NB fan, and has some stability issues using default settings with several different bios versions. I dont run SLI, and I dont plan to- the 8800GTX I have runs the games I play just fine.

Additionally, installing the nvidia software COMPLETELY screws up your system, bsods and missing hard drives from bios are all too common.

So seeing as I am kind of unhappy with this mobo, I was thinking of the P5E as a replacement. It seems to be silent, is more expandable, and a better overclocker with the X38.

Can anyone tell me if the parts I described above will fit okay with the P5E? The ram Im a bit worried about, can I run it unlinked and still OC the cpu? I was also looking at the DFI, but silent, cool, and future expandable is more important than a gazillion settings for overclocking.

Or alternatively have any advice on silent, cool future expandable mobos that might suit me better for a price similar to the p5e? Or other suggestions to help me decide to keep the 680i or move to a new mobo (p5e being the #1 candidate right now).

The maximus formula looked great too, but is a bit out of my price range. And someone said they were discontinued? And the blitz formula was discontinued? I wonder why? Every once in a while I see open box maximus's on newegg, but Im too scared to buy one of those.

Anyways, any thoughts are appreciated!
Thanks!