PCI-E Bandwidth going from 16x to 1x? WTF?

Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3.6GHZ - 1.44v
2GB G.Skill DDR2-800
GA-P35-DS4 rev2 LGA 775 Motherboard
2x 320GB Seagate Barracudas NOT in raid, i just like storage
EVGA nVIDIA Geforce 8800GT 512MB
Windows XP Pro SP2
Antec 900 case
Zalman 97000LE Copper

Thats my setup. I had previously thought this was a side effect of me overclocking and running at 3.6ghz and having some weird problem related to voltages. So I had backed down my Overclock to 3.4ghz and didn't have a problem for a few weeks.

Then yesterday my computer crashed while playing TF2, I rebooted and experienced a video stuttering problem. I opened up CPU-Z and noticed the bandwidth of my 16x PCI-E lane was only running at 1x. A quick reset of the bios and a re-overclock and the problem is no more.

I'm just having a problem with finding out why this is happening? Why is my PCI-E Lane going from 16x to 1x?
8 answers Last reply
More about bandwidth
  1. Just a thought, do you have the PCIe frequency locked at 100MHz? It should be alright if left at auto, but set it to 100MHz just in case.
  2. Yeah it was locked at 100MHZ and I had it overvolted 1 notch just in case.
    I heard if I put it to 101MHZ it would remedy the problem so I'm gonna try that later.
  3. @OP: Whats your PSU? It looks like a under powered PSU to me.
  4. Hmm....the PSU looks good. Whats the BIOS version on the card and the DS4?
  5. Newest bios on the card and the motherboard but I customized the bios on the card to have increased voltage so I could overclock it. The problem happend before I customized the bios.
  6. You shouldn't have to overvolt the PCIe bus.
  7. Well I'm not quite sure but so far I think it has to do with raising the G(MCH) voltage too high. I'll have to do some more testing though.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems Product