Sign in with
Your question

XP exploer file search delay

Last response: in Windows XP
July 23, 2010 10:02:07 PM

Windows XP SP3 explorer file search delays on network drives

When I use the Windows file Explorer and do a search for files on a network connected (mapped or shared) drive, it delays for about 20 seconds before it even begins to search. After the delay, the search results are normal. I've tried everything I can think of to eliminate this pause. It is getting more frustrating as I moved my source code to a mapped drive. It happens on all of my systems from any system to a mapped drive on any other system.

Additional details:

..I see no network activity during the delay nor do I see any extra CPU usage on either system.

..I have never turned on file indexing on any of my machines. Well, file indexing may be turned on for files & directories, but the indexing service is not started.

File I/O is good. My suite of personal tools that do file and directory access; the performance is as expected on my 100Mb LAN. It's just the search for files in the Windows Explorer.

I've exhausted all my attempts at getting the pause eliminated.

Help! :( 
July 23, 2010 11:09:44 PM

It could simply be that switching drives is difficult for the system to perform across the network. Try using the following program which is a trusted free download from download.com (sponsored and verified by CNET). Run the Registry tool at least 2-3 times to make sure the registry isnt causing any problems.

http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/?tag=mncol

Report back your findings, and if necessary, we will look at the next step.
m
l
July 24, 2010 3:36:43 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I use CCleaner regularly on all my systems. So it's not trash in the registry.

Although I see no internet traffic on my local LAN (looking at the network indicator in my systray), I wonder if Windows performing the search is doing some kind of TCP requests or UDP broadcasts that are timing out with no response. I wish I had a network sniffer to determine.
m
l
Related resources
July 24, 2010 3:35:08 PM

try running the system in reverse from point B to point A.
m
l
July 24, 2010 6:54:06 PM

A free network monitor program that I used is called Wireshark. Very nice program. Allows you to view in real time detailed network traffic to and from any machine it's used on.
m
l
July 31, 2010 2:25:34 AM

lazyperson17 said:
It could simply be that switching drives is difficult for the system to perform across the network. Try using the following program which is a trusted free download from download.com (sponsored and verified by CNET). Run the Registry tool at least 2-3 times to make sure the registry isnt causing any problems.

http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/?tag=mncol

Report back your findings, and if necessary, we will look at the next step.

Well, I figured it out. There is TCP port #135 (epmap or End Point Mapper) that the system performing the search tries to make a session to. What it does, I cannot find out any information. The system serving up the mapped drive had port #135 blocked. I just went into Windows Firewall and added an exception to allow port 135. The system doing the file search was attempting to establish a TCP connection to #135. It timed out after a number of seconds, then the file search would continue.

I saw this by using tcpview.exe (part of SysInternals) to watch TCP sockets. The requester was attempting a connection to #135. The file search was blocked until the session attempt timed out.

What port 135 is for, I don't know... But now it works without the delay... I can't find any real info about "epmap".
m
l
!