XP exploer file search delay

Windows XP SP3 explorer file search delays on network drives

When I use the Windows file Explorer and do a search for files on a network connected (mapped or shared) drive, it delays for about 20 seconds before it even begins to search. After the delay, the search results are normal. I've tried everything I can think of to eliminate this pause. It is getting more frustrating as I moved my source code to a mapped drive. It happens on all of my systems from any system to a mapped drive on any other system.

Additional details:

..I see no network activity during the delay nor do I see any extra CPU usage on either system.

..I have never turned on file indexing on any of my machines. Well, file indexing may be turned on for files & directories, but the indexing service is not started.

File I/O is good. My suite of personal tools that do file and directory access; the performance is as expected on my 100Mb LAN. It's just the search for files in the Windows Explorer.

I've exhausted all my attempts at getting the pause eliminated.

Help! :(
5 answers Last reply
More about exploer file search delay
  1. It could simply be that switching drives is difficult for the system to perform across the network. Try using the following program which is a trusted free download from download.com (sponsored and verified by CNET). Run the Registry tool at least 2-3 times to make sure the registry isnt causing any problems.

http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/?tag=mncol

Report back your findings, and if necessary, we will look at the next step.
  2. Thanks for the suggestion. I use CCleaner regularly on all my systems. So it's not trash in the registry.

Although I see no internet traffic on my local LAN (looking at the network indicator in my systray), I wonder if Windows performing the search is doing some kind of TCP requests or UDP broadcasts that are timing out with no response. I wish I had a network sniffer to determine.
  3. try running the system in reverse from point B to point A.
  4. A free network monitor program that I used is called Wireshark. Very nice program. Allows you to view in real time detailed network traffic to and from any machine it's used on.
  5. lazyperson17 said:
    It could simply be that switching drives is difficult for the system to perform across the network. Try using the following program which is a trusted free download from download.com (sponsored and verified by CNET). Run the Registry tool at least 2-3 times to make sure the registry isnt causing any problems.

http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/?tag=mncol

Report back your findings, and if necessary, we will look at the next step.

Well, I figured it out. There is TCP port #135 (epmap or End Point Mapper) that the system performing the search tries to make a session to. What it does, I cannot find out any information. The system serving up the mapped drive had port #135 blocked. I just went into Windows Firewall and added an exception to allow port 135. The system doing the file search was attempting to establish a TCP connection to #135. It timed out after a number of seconds, then the file search would continue.

I saw this by using tcpview.exe (part of SysInternals) to watch TCP sockets. The requester was attempting a connection to #135. The file search was blocked until the session attempt timed out.

What port 135 is for, I don't know... But now it works without the delay... I can't find any real info about "epmap".
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP Explorer