Sign in with
Your question

Price drop - would really appreciate a quick reply.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
April 1, 2008 1:33:52 PM

It might sound like a stupid question, but since I just submitted my PC order and still have time to cancel it before tomorrow morning - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/249961-31-finalising-...

Anyway, what my question is in relation to is whether people are anticipating a major price drop in the next 2-3 weeks? The reason I'm asking is because, a former school friend's brother works at a PC store and he was convincing me to hold out for another 2-3 weeks because he said the Q9300 was coming out next week (thought it'd be out for a few weeks or days at least and PC maniacs have it) and the the Q6600 would drop substantially. He also said the 8800GTs should experience another price drop in around the same time frame.

So basically, I've been waiting for ages and I don't particularly want to wait much longer. However, if everyone is pretty sure there will be substantial savings in a few weeks, then I prefer not to burn all my savings (seeing as I'm a student just yet).

Another thing was he was telling me the E8400 far outstrips the Q6600, so I'm having a bit of a dilemma on that front now, since I've been switching between them for my build.

Anyway, I would really appreciate an answer seeing as I only have a short amount of time to cancel my order - I'm not that inclined to seeing as I've bombarded the store with quite a few emails and they have been largely helpful.

More about : price drop quick reply

April 1, 2008 1:40:31 PM

The q6700 is expected to receive a massive price drop this month, so the q6600 might drop in price as well. It's already been seen as low as $179 at fry's and $199 at microcenter.

The Q9300 is already out.

As to the e8400 vs q6600, run a quick search and you'll find that this issue has been discussed over and over. The problem is that there is no clear answer beyond: e8400 for only gaming with current games, q6600 for doing cpu-intensive tasks like encoding or video work, plus possible advantage on future games.
April 1, 2008 1:58:45 PM

satanpro said:
The q6700 is expected to receive a massive price drop this month, so the q6600 might drop in price as well. It's already been seen as low as $179 at fry's and $199 at microcenter.

The Q9300 is already out.

As to the e8400 vs q6600, run a quick search and you'll find that this issue has been discussed over and over. The problem is that there is no clear answer beyond: e8400 for only gaming with current games, q6600 for doing cpu-intensive tasks like encoding or video work, plus possible advantage on future games.

Thanks for the reply, I found out that the Q6700 is expected to drop to as low $320 on the 20th.

Yeah, I've read through the debate on the E8400 vs Q6600 and had a look at some of the OCed benchmarks. I'd made up my decision previously, but was a bit concerned after talking to my friend's brother - it's a sizeable amount being spent considering I'm a university student.

Thanks again.
Related resources
April 1, 2008 2:28:47 PM

haha, being a student sucks...money is cool. I think if you wait for the price drops you will be pretty happy to save the $200. I would be PO if the week after I bought something it dropped by that much.

I am surprised that the Q6700 pricing is still up to $500 with the Q9450 sort of out. The Q9450 can be had for $350 if you can snag one when they come in. Disregarding availablility, the Q6700 would have to be around $300 for me to consider that one. Hopefully you will find some good deals.
April 1, 2008 2:44:11 PM

If you're considering the q6700 for 320, I would very much encourage you to consider a q9450 for nearly the same price if you can find it. It runs very cool and is slightly faster clock for clock, although the multiplier is lower which limits overclock. If you run at stock, I'd take the q9450 over the q6700 by a long shot.
April 1, 2008 3:11:11 PM

At the same clocks, the Q9450 will spanxor the Q6700. Uber cool FTMFW!
April 1, 2008 7:41:16 PM

I'm not sure I'll be waiting for the Q6700, it's probably prudent for me to do so but I think the Q6600 I'm getting to $269 AUD is pretty reasonable priced. I would've gone for the E8400 after switching my decision again but it doesn't seem like the store will have stock.
!