Searching for good TV Tuner (PCI)

crembo

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Well , I want to watch TV in my room , and the only option is to buy a TV Tuner.
I dont want anything super good , with super good recording quality and so on.
I just need a tuner with good display quality.
I've been told that this : http://www.hauppauge.com/Pages/products/data_pvr150mce.html
TV Tuner is a good one , and is very recommended.
In my country , it costs 111$ (I dont live in the US), so it's affordable for me.
If it matters , I'm using Vista 32bit Ultimate and got 22" monitor.

Thanks in advance.

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
i have 1600 hauppauge with fm tuner, and i never use it. i got that with my hp(not anymore, changed EVERYTHING, including mobo, more ram, 1more hdd, 1more odd, gpu, psu....) im tring to sell it....i took it out of the pc, when i first bought that hp, because i knew that im not going to use it. anyone interested?
pci, ntsc and atsc, fm

lilsage

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
Make sure it handles the TV signal standard where you're from if you buy it out of country... NTSC, PAL, Secam... etc.

I am not sure if they are all interchangable or not... so make sure rated for whatever standard you have.

seabreeze

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
The Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-150 MCE is a better than average tuner. It is a single analogue tuner only, so I'm assuming your country is not closing the analogue broadcast anytime soon, which is scheduled to cease in the USA in 2009 and in Australia in 2012. It is also NTSC only. If this is right for your country, then ok.

crembo

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
I live in Europe , so it's PAL probably?
Also , now we're on antenna in our country , but if I understand right , it's going to change to satelite this summer.

drewaz

Distinguished
May 14, 2007

I have one of these and as long as u stick with 32bit OS it's great, but if u thinking of upgrading ur rig with 4gb (or more) of RAM this card has some serious issues. With 4gb ram instead of a tv picture u get a green screen in MCE, but when u decrease your memory to 3gb everything is working fine. It's been already over a year and hauppauge can't come up with a fix. They are blaming Microsoft and M$ guys are blaming hauppauge 64bit drivers... So if u will be using it only with 32bit OS I would say go for it.

leon2006

Distinguished
ATI650 tuner card came up with the best results. I tried different tuner cards one at time on my setup including hauppage 1800. There is no ideal tuner you need to try it out and decide base on the results you will get.

I tried happauge 1800, pinacle HD TV, avermedia HD TV, ATI-600, ATI650.

HD-video quality is good in pinacle HD-TV & ATI boards. Pinacle has issue with out of synce audio/video.

Hauppage 1800 degrade the analog cable video. The analog TV video that came out from the Hauppage 1800 is a DEGRADED version. Just to make sure i tried 2 hauppage card and get the same results.

ATI tuner have great HD-TV video and upgrade the quality of Analog-TV.

Avermedia HDTV has a lot of driver issues, notes , and errata. The board that i got did not work.

These TV card comes with remote. I don't use it. I use my blue-tooth mice/keyboard as my remote. None of the remote will provide a complete feature set that i need.

I prefer to use the Hybrid HD-TV tuner. Hybrid tuners improve the quality of the Analog TV video. If i need another Tuner i will just another card.

My HD-TV source is through Antenna. MY analog TV source is through cable subscription.

I'm using a 70 inch HDTV display. Pixelation is very pronounce in my setup with the TV -card is bad.

Its up to you.

jamstan

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
I have the ATI TV Wonder 650 and I love it. Using it with 64bit Ulimate and its crystal clear--nicest TV tuner I've ever had. Runs right thru Ultimate Media Center. Got it brand new for $85 on Ebay.