cable test patterns

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 10, 2005 7:35:43 PM

I have a Motorola DCT 6412 box (HD PVR) from Cox Cable in Orange County
CA. Is there any way to get test patterns out of this thing (e.g.,
pluge, color bars, SMPTE, etc)? Ideally, HD patterns. If not, how else
can I setup my system properly?

More about : cable test patterns

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 1:05:48 AM

Probably only if the cable system is broadcasting such information on a
un-active channel. Getting the access to the on-board bios, etc of the cable
boxes would require a lot of hacking that would quite surely interest your
supplier
<sjhart@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have a Motorola DCT 6412 box (HD PVR) from Cox Cable in Orange County
> CA. Is there any way to get test patterns out of this thing (e.g.,
> pluge, color bars, SMPTE, etc)? Ideally, HD patterns. If not, how else
> can I setup my system properly?

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 10:55:54 AM

sjhart@cox.net wrote:

>I have a Motorola DCT 6412 box (HD PVR) from Cox Cable in Orange County
>CA. Is there any way to get test patterns out of this thing (e.g.,
>pluge, color bars, SMPTE, etc)? Ideally, HD patterns. If not, how else
>can I setup my system properly?

If you get INHD and/or HDNet, check their schedules. Every so often
they run setup test patterns. Record them and play them when you need
to tweak setup.

Del Mibbler
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 8:59:47 PM

Cox "customer service" denied that any test patterns are broadcast on
their system, ever, by anyone; but they're wrong. INHD broadcasts "INHD
Tune Up" at 4am Pacific Time on Saturday mornings with a nice set of
patterns and instructions. I actually found their color/tint pattern
easier to use than the one on the Digital Video Essentials DVD. And I
recorded it so I can fiddle at a less sleepy hour. [Many thanks to Del
Mibbler for this suggestion.]

Stephen
!