Vcore for 3ghz Q6600 OC

Zstratto

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Hey, I have an Asus P5K pro MB and I am attempting to overclock a q6600 to 3Ghz. I used the stickied guide for overclocking quadcores to do this. One thing it says in the guide is to leave the voltage on auto and then use cpu-z to figure out the voltage. The only problem was that I could not get into windows, there was a short BSOD followed by a restart. I eventually upped the voltage to 1.30 and got into windows, where I checked out cpu-z which showed 1.28v (which I am assuming is the vdroop). I started Prime95 and it bsod and restarted immediatly. Right now it is sitting at 1.35-1.36 (1.32 in cpu-z) after multiple attempts. The error I keep getting in Prime is "FATAL ERROR: rounding got .5 expected .4", something along those lines. Right now only one core experiences this (others did but was corrected when I upped vcore). So my question is: why is my voltage so high (for my oc), lots of things I have been reading say 1.2x is good enough for 3ghz? My temps are at 50c at load, 33c idol. I can play games and do all my computer needs just fine also.

Some other things: I did not change voltages for North or South, as I have not seen them in to many overclocking guides and dont really know what they do. My ram timings are 5-5-5-15 rated for 1.8-1.9 (1.84 currently...I increased this to 1.9 [to attempt to correct "fatal error"] and got a bsod).

The vcore and temps seem perfectly safe albeit a bit abnormal from what I have read, what do you guys think?

Thanks.

Cpt Deadboots

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Do you have B3 or G0 stepping? You can check this in CPU-Z too.

If you have a G0, you really shouldn't need more than 1.25v to get 3.0. You shouldn't need to mess with any other voltages... Make sure your RAM clock is lowered. Set it to 2.5x or so (I think it defaults to 3.0).

What is your multiplier/ FSB set to?

Zstratto

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
It is a G0 chip for sure. multiplier = 9...fsb = 333.

yea, I have been hearing 1.28 is pretty standard for a 3.0 oc that is why my chip concerns me.

Should I be worried about anything so long as my load temps are <50 and my vcore is <1.4? I will try to look at my RAM clock.