Sign in with
Your question

Can someone recommend me a HSF for my Q6600?

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Overclocking
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Overclocking
October 14, 2008 7:45:22 PM

I've been using the stock one for a while now, but I want something better so I can overclock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Is this one good? I've been looking at it and it sounds good, but I'm worried about the weight. I've seen a video on youtube where someone had one and it was bending their motherboard. Was that just because he had a bad motherboard or something, or would I be experiencing that as well? I have a DFI BloodIron motherboard, by the way.

So is that HSF good? Will it keep my Q6600 nice and cool when overclocking? Also, will it fit in my case? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And I have one last question, and that is about the installation and removal of the new HSF and my current one. Right now I just have a stock Intel one, and that was a pain in the ass to install; I felt like I was going to break my motherboard while pushing in the pins. If I get the retention bracket, will that make it easier to install the new HSF? Also, will I need to remove my motherboard from my case before removing or installing the HSFs?
This is the retention brackets I'm talking about: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also, will I need anything else(besides thermal paste) if I want to overclock?

More about : recommend hsf q6600

October 14, 2008 8:18:03 PM

I have the same cooler and one of my friends just built a pc with that case. I have a smaller case right now and it fits with 1.5" to spare before the side of the case. If you decide on that cooler I highly recommend the retention bracket for the cooler. I got it, It's great.
Related resources
October 14, 2008 8:27:13 PM

Make sure you have lots of clearance in your case. It is a massive heatsink. If you have a fan on the side of the case, chances are that it will not fit.
October 14, 2008 9:38:38 PM

All right, thanks guys. I think I'll be getting that cooler then. And thanks, one-shot, that makes me feel better about it fitting. And to pbrigido, the case has a side fan, but it's below where the CPU is, so I don't think it'd be a problem.

There is only two things that still worry me though. First, will I need to take out my motherboard to replace the HSFs?

Second is the weight of the HSF. The weight of it isn't going to be any problem, is it? Like I said, I saw a video on youtube of someone with the same fan and it seemed like it was bending the motherboard. Was it the fan that bent it, or was it because of his possibly poor ways of working with the computer that bent it?
a c 86 K Overclocking
October 14, 2008 11:27:53 PM

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS!!! Remove the Mobo to install ANY HS. And read up on what thermal paste you should buy. Stuff that comes with the HS isn't the best. Also read up on proper application of the paste.

Don't worry about the mobo, it will be fine.
October 15, 2008 3:34:37 AM

You won't have to worry about the cooler bending your motherboard. I would get the retention bracket for the HDT-S1283, push pins suck. It's only 6.99 and it will give you more confidence.

Always take the motherboard out when replacing the cpu cooler. You kind of have to with this anyway. Not taking it out could bend and put stress on your board and possibly wreck it.

This CPU cooler is relatively light for the amount of cooling it does. I have a massive fan on my CPU Cooler. a Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000rpm fan. 120x45mm. Mine is fine, its not sagging. The stock fan should be fine but I wanted a little more. I have a fan controller so i can turn my fan speed from 800rpm to 3000rpm.
October 15, 2008 4:44:09 AM

Absolutely get the backplate or you will wish you did.
October 17, 2008 2:11:45 AM

Ah all right, thank guys. I think I'll order it a bit later.

Again, thanks for all of your help.
!