18 amps on a 12 volt line good enough for a 9600?

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I HIGHLY HIGHLY doubt it. See dude, what you really need to look at are the specs. Like for example you've got 18 amps on your 12v+ rail/line. I used to have a a 400 watt that had 20. No offense, but that PSU may be to weak. The XFX version of that card says you need at least a 500 watt PSU with a 6 pin connector. Man you can try it, but I wouldn't. If I were you, look for something a bit stronger. 18 amps is pretty weak. Remember man, it's not so much about wattage as about how many amps the PSU can put out. I think that's a better measure. I'd take a PSU with less wattage and more amperage than the other way around b/c I feel that I'd have a more reliable unit. Also, keep in mind when you shop for a PSU, sometimes manufacturers will embellish the specs, and show you the peak specs of what that PSU might do.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
A lot of people say don't spend too little on a PSU. However msyelf, I've seen this one before. I've heard good reviews on it, but realize you could be taking a chance on it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339001

The specs look ok, but I've never used this brand before. Though for that price, being I'm usually on a budget myself, I've considered trying it. Though Antec or another brand might be a better choice. Myself, I've learned if you go too cheap, you can mess your system up bad though if you have too cheap of a PSU. But again, I'm tempted b/c of the reviews. It's up to you though. But for 20-30 bucks more you can do better if you have the $$.

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
And that is enough?

I might get an 8800 GS G92 instead, it is in my $170 budget range:

$35 for the PSU
+
$140 GeForce 8800GS
= $175 OR $145 with MIR

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Also, that 8800gs, they've got one that is 140 with 30 dollar mail in rebate. Again, on that PSU, I can't say for sure it's enough, but I think it would be a lot better than the 450 watter you have now. Also, it does not look like it has the 6 pin connector. So you'd probably need an adapter or and some y cables if you want to try that PSU.

Also, there is this PSU....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006

Does not look bad either, has all the connections you would need looks like, but it's not showing as good of ratings on the 12v+ lines and what not. However, the brand is more reputable. So you kind of have to decide what you want, or if you want to try the other. Myself, I dunno. I like the price on the one. and honestly, they've got another one that's almost the same as the cheaper one, same company, ratings look similar but it's like 23-24. Just it's a regular grey

Here's the really cheap one...looks close to same specs as the other cheap one I showed you, but you don't get a power cord or anything, just the PSU being that it's OEM. But you could reuse your old power cord.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339009

However if you go with the cheaper ones, you'd probably need one of these....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812887001

and maybe one or 2 of these depending how many devices you have that take the molex connector. Because the one adapter says it will take 2. Also, I think they only give you one sata connector. So I don't know if you have more than 1 sata device. Something else to think about as well. So you kinda see where you sacrifice on the cheaper PSU. Again, it's your call if you want to take a chance or spend more. Just do your research carefully.

Also, keep in mind the one unit is only rated at 75% efficiency, the antec is rated for 80%.

pauldh

Illustrious
I agree on the Earthwatts 430W. 30 amps on the 12v are enough to power almost any single card; no problems with the 8800GS or 9600GT. I've used loads of them without issues.

Consider the evga 8800GS for $119 AR. (cheaper of the two evga)http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Description=8800gs

I have the cheaper of the two XFX, and while great for the money, the fan does spin 100% all the time while the evga is variable speed (quieter at idle.) It's not terribly loud, but for $10 more I'd take the evga instead. And it makes up for it's lower clocked core with higher clocked mem. Any of them are great for the money though.

Asian PingPong

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
I'm running an 8800gts g92 on its own, dedicated 18amp rail, so a 9600gt will definitely run on 18amps. However, given the wattage of your unit, I'm guessing it either has 1 or 2 rails, in which case the 18 amps will need to be split between other components (ie. HDD, optical drive, fans, etc, maybe cpu) in which case you are cutting it extremely close and most likely will not work.

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
Great, I'm starting to debate with myself. ONE suggestion of an 8800 and a Power supply which = no more than $170 after any Mail in rebate.

OR just a 9600.

pauldh

Illustrious

Yeah, There is a huge difference between a dedicated 18 amp rail and a PSU that only output 18 amps total on the 12v. Those 18 amps need to be split for the CPU, drives, fans, etc. You probably have a combined 12v of 50 amps on that thing, of course it will run an 8800GTS. It would run two of them.

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
well then, I think I know what I'm ordering, the first PSU on the list, the 8800 GS, and the converter.

Edit: I don't need the converter according to the reviews! :D

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
Well, it is all good. One more thing, how much performance decrease does running in x8 mode merit? My Mobo is a Pcie x16 width running in x 8 mode.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
May have a little slowdown, hopefully not too much though, it would be about the same bandwidth as the old AGP slots. Let me know if that power supply does well or not, b/c I have considered that PSU as well. Also, if you are willing to spend a little more, they do have an overclocked version of the 8800 gs that should be as fast, maybe a little faster in some things than the 9600 gt.

rockstone1

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
Good, so I'm not the only one with an x8 bandwith slot.

My only worry is size, my case is large enough, but my mobo has a wire directly next to the PCIe slot. . :pt1cable:

Edit: I know that card looks awesome, but it is too expensive, my budget is $170 max (semi-self imposed)

Edit 2: I know, that the same card looks a little under clocked, but riva tuner is my friend. [:zorg:2]

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007

Depends is it a dual rail or just a single rail? I have a dual rail 500W TT Purepower with 14A on Rail 1 and 15A on Rail 2 and it runs my 8800GT with 4x1GB RAM and E2180 OC to 3Ghz just fine. If that is a single rail however I would doubt it.(Picked mine up for about $25 After a rebate at the Egg)

_visual

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
My system (sig) runs fine on my Corsair 450VX (33A on 12V rail I believe) - although it is more expensive than what you're looking at. I'd say the Antec Earthwatts 430 is a safe bet.

kpo6969

Distinguished
May 6, 2007

Should be, 30amps.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Oh, the Corsair VX-450 will certainly power your system; that is one of the highest quality power supplies on the market.

The Antec EA 430 is no slouch however, and it will also easily power your rig.

If I were in you position I would choose the EA 430; perfection is the enemy of good enough.