Constant blue screens, yet PC passes every hardware test

zenthor

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
I have a PC that constantly blue screens, and yet passes every diagnostic test I give it.
Test pasted are Sandra 09 burn-n, 3 different memory test, 3dmark06, several temp monitors. None of these report a problem.

System is: AMD Core2 4200+, Asus SLI MB, ATI x1950 video, 600w power, and I have tried 3 types of memory, Kingston, Corsair, and generic. I have reinstalled Windows XP several times, and tried Vista 64 home premium. The blue screens are random, but very frequent.
Other then the memory, I have not started swapping out parts. Its very frustraiting having no clue where to begin. I guess memory is only thing I can rule out as I tried 2gig of 3 differnt types (and, as stated, all of them pass memory test)
Thanks.

G

Well try 1 gig... aka... use one slot not both

also use prime95, the most recent version

and run temp monitoring while the stress test is going on, use small ftp torture test for processor and blend test to identify issues between the cpu and the ram (mobo or just ram)

also try changing/updating drivers for your gpu, or swapping the gpu out for an entirely different one

it could just be a corrupt OS, sometimes that happens to me

modmandan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2006

You need to give more specifics and your hardware.

1. what chipset on your board
2. what HDD's
3. what optical drives

I would suggest that you do stop blaming your ram at this point and start looking for other reasons for this issue. Someone had suggested a BIOS update. Not bad, but usually not a reason for BSOD. You said you have an SLI board? what chipset is the board?