Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrading from W2K Pro to XP Pro

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:50:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Simple question: upgrade -or- backup data, format (NTSF) HD and fresh
install? Tks!

More about : upgrading w2k pro pro

August 2, 2005 4:50:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In article <YZJHe.159822$4M7.8485006@phobos.telenet-ops.be>,
no@spam.pls, R. says...

> Simple question: upgrade -or- backup data, format (NTSF) HD and fresh
> install? Tks!
>
>
>

I'd go with the fresh install......
August 2, 2005 4:50:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Backup data AND do the upgrade. It usually goes smoothly and there's
absolutely nothing to loose if you have the backup. A lot of people will
give a knee jerk answer to start fresh, but if you run the XP upgrade on a
clean well maintained system, it's rarely a problem.
--

"R." <no@spam.pls> wrote in message
news:YZJHe.159822$4M7.8485006@phobos.telenet-ops.be...
> Simple question: upgrade -or- backup data, format (NTSF) HD and fresh
> install? Tks!
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 4:50:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In news:YZJHe.159822$4M7.8485006@phobos.telenet-ops.be,
R. <no@spam.pls> typed:

> Simple question: upgrade -or- backup data, format (NTSF) HD and
> fresh
> install? Tks!


Although many people will tell you that formatting and installing
cleanly is the best way to go, I disagree. Unlike with previous
versions of Windows, an upgrade to XP replaces almost everything,
and usually works very well.



My recommendation is to at least try the upgrade, since it's much
easier than a clean installation. You can always change your mind
and reinstall cleanly if problems develop.



However, don't assume that doing an upgrade relieves you of the
need to backup your data, etc. before beginning. Before starting
to upgrade, it's always prudent to recognize that things like a
sudden power loss can occur in the middle of it and cause the
loss of everything. For that reason you should make sure you have
backups and anything else you need to reinstall if the worst
happens.


--
Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
Please reply to the newsgroup
August 2, 2005 6:01:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In article <YZJHe.159822$4M7.8485006@phobos.telenet-ops.be>,
no@spam.pls, R. says...

> Simple question: upgrade -or- backup data, format (NTSF) HD and fresh
> install? Tks!
>
>
>

Better yet, keep Win2000 instead, far more stable..........
August 2, 2005 6:18:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In article <pxOHe.13567$KG3.5484@fe72.usenetserver.com>,
ByTor@snowdog.com, ByTor says...

> In article <YZJHe.159822$4M7.8485006@phobos.telenet-ops.be>,
> no@spam.pls, R. says...
>
> > Simple question: upgrade -or- backup data, format (NTSF) HD and fresh
> > install? Tks!
> >
> >
> >
>
> Better yet, keep Win2000 instead, far more stable..........
>
>

I should have added, before I get the usual resistance, my personal
reasons which are many but a short explanation will suffice.........

I have XP Pro & Win2k Pro installed on a duplicate system.

My Win2k is the same install of almost 3.5 yrs. Actual install date was
02/16/2002
My XP Pro lasted 2 months.....

What I mean by duplicate is the "SAME" exact 22gig of software installed
to each OS......Now mind you, my Win2k has been through many uninstalls
to make way for newer versions of software and a few upgrades of
SPacks.....
My XP Pro was a FULL clean install with the latest software installed
once............
So explain the total instability of XP as opposed to my Win2K........

Not looking to start trouble but damn that's a helluva coincidence?
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 11:41:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

ByTor <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote:


>I should have added, before I get the usual resistance, my personal
>reasons which are many but a short explanation will suffice.........
>
>I have XP Pro & Win2k Pro installed on a duplicate system.
>
>My Win2k is the same install of almost 3.5 yrs. Actual install date was
>02/16/2002
>My XP Pro lasted 2 months.....
>
>What I mean by duplicate is the "SAME" exact 22gig of software installed
>to each OS......Now mind you, my Win2k has been through many uninstalls
>to make way for newer versions of software and a few upgrades of
>SPacks.....
>My XP Pro was a FULL clean install with the latest software installed
>once............
>So explain the total instability of XP as opposed to my Win2K........
>
>Not looking to start trouble but damn that's a helluva coincidence?

Your experience is somewhat surprising, in view of the fact that
Windows XP is very much in the way of "Windows 2000 Second Edition".
To illustrate this, the internal version number for Windows 2000 is
Windows NT 5.0 and for Windows XP it is Windows NT 5.1.

One possible explanation for this behavior could be that one or more
of your software items is not Windows XP compatible for some reason.


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
August 3, 2005 4:28:39 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In article <03t0f1hnqg66ml04cthb9jp9th3f2tap6c@4ax.com>,
ron.martell@gmail.com, Ron Martell says...
> ByTor <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote:
>
>
> >I should have added, before I get the usual resistance, my personal
> >reasons which are many but a short explanation will suffice.........
> >
> >I have XP Pro & Win2k Pro installed on a duplicate system.
> >
> >My Win2k is the same install of almost 3.5 yrs. Actual install date was
> >02/16/2002
> >My XP Pro lasted 2 months.....
> >
> >What I mean by duplicate is the "SAME" exact 22gig of software installed
> >to each OS......Now mind you, my Win2k has been through many uninstalls
> >to make way for newer versions of software and a few upgrades of
> >SPacks.....
> >My XP Pro was a FULL clean install with the latest software installed
> >once............
> >So explain the total instability of XP as opposed to my Win2K........
> >
> >Not looking to start trouble but damn that's a helluva coincidence?
>
> Your experience is somewhat surprising, in view of the fact that
> Windows XP is very much in the way of "Windows 2000 Second Edition".
> To illustrate this, the internal version number for Windows 2000 is
> Windows NT 5.0 and for Windows XP it is Windows NT 5.1.
>
> One possible explanation for this behavior could be that one or more
> of your software items is not Windows XP compatible for some reason.
>
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>

I understand XP is built on Win2k, that is what took me by suprise....I
don't knock XP it's just that it was very odd that an exact duplicate
withered away due to crashes, blue screens etc......All software I have
installed all claims XP compatible, I have "latest" versions of
all......I remember back when with 2K that it took a bit for the rest of
the software world to catch up to it, there was a time when very little
was compatible as it was not an average consumer OS, I'm hoping XP may
have the same cycle. But, than again, if it's based on the same NT why
the trouble? It's really no big deal but as I mentioned my 2K partition
has been through hell and back with uninstalls, upgrades, updates, etc,
and is still rock solid.
I'll have to give it another go sometime maybe things have changed.....
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 7:55:21 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

ByTor <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote:


>
>I understand XP is built on Win2k, that is what took me by suprise....I
>don't knock XP it's just that it was very odd that an exact duplicate
>withered away due to crashes, blue screens etc......All software I have
>installed all claims XP compatible, I have "latest" versions of
>all......I remember back when with 2K that it took a bit for the rest of
>the software world to catch up to it, there was a time when very little
>was compatible as it was not an average consumer OS, I'm hoping XP may
>have the same cycle. But, than again, if it's based on the same NT why
>the trouble? It's really no big deal but as I mentioned my 2K partition
>has been through hell and back with uninstalls, upgrades, updates, etc,
>and is still rock solid.
>I'll have to give it another go sometime maybe things have changed.....

Make sure your XP is update to Service Pack 2 before you install the
applications. Best way to do this is to make a new install CD with
SP2 slipstreamed into it. A neat utility for doing this is Nlite
(free) from http://www.nliteos.com/

Good luck


Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service
http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
http://aumha.org/alex.htm
August 4, 2005 12:21:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

In article <ea43f1tppqnl6ml1ev2a8ljr4qimgeaf13@4ax.com>,
ron.martell@gmail.com, Ron Martell says...
> ByTor <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote:
>
>
> >
> >I understand XP is built on Win2k, that is what took me by suprise....I
> >don't knock XP it's just that it was very odd that an exact duplicate
> >withered away due to crashes, blue screens etc......All software I have
> >installed all claims XP compatible, I have "latest" versions of
> >all......I remember back when with 2K that it took a bit for the rest of
> >the software world to catch up to it, there was a time when very little
> >was compatible as it was not an average consumer OS, I'm hoping XP may
> >have the same cycle. But, than again, if it's based on the same NT why
> >the trouble? It's really no big deal but as I mentioned my 2K partition
> >has been through hell and back with uninstalls, upgrades, updates, etc,
> >and is still rock solid.
> >I'll have to give it another go sometime maybe things have changed.....
>
> Make sure your XP is update to Service Pack 2 before you install the
> applications. Best way to do this is to make a new install CD with
> SP2 slipstreamed into it. A neat utility for doing this is Nlite
> (free) from http://www.nliteos.com/
>
> Good luck
>
>
> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>

Already have it burned & slipstreamed thanks........ ;0)
August 4, 2005 3:48:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I just upgraded from W2K Pro to XP Pro and it went very smoothly. I had one
minor problem - the driver for my Gigabit LAN card weren't installed and I
had to get updated ones from the ASUS website. Other than that, everthing is
fine....

MD


"R." wrote:

> Simple question: upgrade -or- backup data, format (NTSF) HD and fresh
> install? Tks!
>
>
>
!