Upgrading from W2K Pro to XP Pro

Simple question: upgrade -or- backup data, format (NTSF) HD and fresh
install? Tks!
10 answers Last reply
More about upgrading

    In article <YZJHe.159822$4M7.8485006@phobos.telenet-ops.be>,
    no@spam.pls, R. says...

    > Simple question: upgrade -or- backup data, format (NTSF) HD and fresh
    > install? Tks!

    I'd go with the fresh install......

    Backup data AND do the upgrade. It usually goes smoothly and there's
    absolutely nothing to loose if you have the backup. A lot of people will
    give a knee jerk answer to start fresh, but if you run the XP upgrade on a
    clean well maintained system, it's rarely a problem.
    --

    In news:YZJHe.159822$4M7.8485006@phobos.telenet-ops.be,
    R. <no@spam.pls> typed:

    > Simple question: upgrade -or- backup data, format (NTSF) HD and
    > fresh
    > install? Tks!

    Although many people will tell you that formatting and installing
    cleanly is the best way to go, I disagree. Unlike with previous
    versions of Windows, an upgrade to XP replaces almost everything,
    and usually works very well.

    My recommendation is to at least try the upgrade, since it's much
    easier than a clean installation. You can always change your mind
    and reinstall cleanly if problems develop.

    However, don't assume that doing an upgrade relieves you of the
    need to backup your data, etc. before beginning. Before starting
    to upgrade, it's always prudent to recognize that things like a
    sudden power loss can occur in the middle of it and cause the
    loss of everything. For that reason you should make sure you have
    backups and anything else you need to reinstall if the worst
    happens.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    In article <YZJHe.159822$4M7.8485006@phobos.telenet-ops.be>,
    no@spam.pls, R. says...

    > Simple question: upgrade -or- backup data, format (NTSF) HD and fresh
    > install? Tks!

    Better yet, keep Win2000 instead, far more stable..........

    In article <pxOHe.13567$KG3.5484@fe72.usenetserver.com>,
    ByTor@snowdog.com, ByTor says...

    > In article <YZJHe.159822$4M7.8485006@phobos.telenet-ops.be>,
    > no@spam.pls, R. says...
    >
    > > Simple question: upgrade -or- backup data, format (NTSF) HD and fresh
    > > install? Tks!
    > >

    > Better yet, keep Win2000 instead, far more stable..........

    I should have added, before I get the usual resistance, my personal
    reasons which are many but a short explanation will suffice.........

    I have XP Pro & Win2k Pro installed on a duplicate system.

    My Win2k is the same install of almost 3.5 yrs. Actual install date was
    02/16/2002
    My XP Pro lasted 2 months.....

    What I mean by duplicate is the "SAME" exact 22gig of software installed
    to each OS......Now mind you, my Win2k has been through many uninstalls
    to make way for newer versions of software and a few upgrades of
    SPacks.....
    My XP Pro was a FULL clean install with the latest software installed
    once............
    So explain the total instability of XP as opposed to my Win2K........

    Not looking to start trouble but damn that's a helluva coincidence?

    ByTor <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote:

    >I should have added, before I get the usual resistance, my personal
    >reasons which are many but a short explanation will suffice.........
    >
    >I have XP Pro & Win2k Pro installed on a duplicate system.
    >
    >My Win2k is the same install of almost 3.5 yrs. Actual install date was
    >02/16/2002
    >My XP Pro lasted 2 months.....
    >
    >What I mean by duplicate is the "SAME" exact 22gig of software installed
    >to each OS......Now mind you, my Win2k has been through many uninstalls
    >to make way for newer versions of software and a few upgrades of
    >SPacks.....
    >My XP Pro was a FULL clean install with the latest software installed
    >once............
    >So explain the total instability of XP as opposed to my Win2K........
    >
    >Not looking to start trouble but damn that's a helluva coincidence?

    Your experience is somewhat surprising, in view of the fact that
    Windows XP is very much in the way of "Windows 2000 Second Edition".
    To illustrate this, the internal version number for Windows 2000 is
    Windows NT 5.0 and for Windows XP it is Windows NT 5.1.

    One possible explanation for this behavior could be that one or more
    of your software items is not Windows XP compatible for some reason.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    In article <03t0f1hnqg66ml04cthb9jp9th3f2tap6c@4ax.com>,
    ron.martell@gmail.com, Ron Martell says...
    > ByTor <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote:
    >

    > >I should have added, before I get the usual resistance, my personal
    > >reasons which are many but a short explanation will suffice.........
    > >
    > >I have XP Pro & Win2k Pro installed on a duplicate system.
    > >
    > >My Win2k is the same install of almost 3.5 yrs. Actual install date was
    > >02/16/2002
    > >My XP Pro lasted 2 months.....
    > >
    > >What I mean by duplicate is the "SAME" exact 22gig of software installed
    > >to each OS......Now mind you, my Win2k has been through many uninstalls
    > >to make way for newer versions of software and a few upgrades of
    > >SPacks.....
    > >My XP Pro was a FULL clean install with the latest software installed
    > >once............
    > >So explain the total instability of XP as opposed to my Win2K........
    > >
    > >Not looking to start trouble but damn that's a helluva coincidence?
    >
    > Your experience is somewhat surprising, in view of the fact that
    > Windows XP is very much in the way of "Windows 2000 Second Edition".
    > To illustrate this, the internal version number for Windows 2000 is
    > Windows NT 5.0 and for Windows XP it is Windows NT 5.1.
    >
    > One possible explanation for this behavior could be that one or more
    > of your software items is not Windows XP compatible for some reason.
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    I understand XP is built on Win2k, that is what took me by suprise....I
    don't knock XP it's just that it was very odd that an exact duplicate
    withered away due to crashes, blue screens etc......All software I have
    installed all claims XP compatible, I have "latest" versions of
    all......I remember back when with 2K that it took a bit for the rest of
    the software world to catch up to it, there was a time when very little
    was compatible as it was not an average consumer OS, I'm hoping XP may
    have the same cycle. But, than again, if it's based on the same NT why
    the trouble? It's really no big deal but as I mentioned my 2K partition
    has been through hell and back with uninstalls, upgrades, updates, etc,
    and is still rock solid.
    I'll have to give it another go sometime maybe things have changed.....

    ByTor <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote:

    >I understand XP is built on Win2k, that is what took me by suprise....I
    >don't knock XP it's just that it was very odd that an exact duplicate
    >withered away due to crashes, blue screens etc......All software I have
    >installed all claims XP compatible, I have "latest" versions of
    >all......I remember back when with 2K that it took a bit for the rest of
    >the software world to catch up to it, there was a time when very little
    >was compatible as it was not an average consumer OS, I'm hoping XP may
    >have the same cycle. But, than again, if it's based on the same NT why
    >the trouble? It's really no big deal but as I mentioned my 2K partition
    >has been through hell and back with uninstalls, upgrades, updates, etc,
    >and is still rock solid.
    >I'll have to give it another go sometime maybe things have changed.....

    Make sure your XP is update to Service Pack 2 before you install the
    applications. Best way to do this is to make a new install CD with
    SP2 slipstreamed into it. A neat utility for doing this is Nlite
    (free) from http://www.nliteos.com/

    Good luck

    In article <ea43f1tppqnl6ml1ev2a8ljr4qimgeaf13@4ax.com>,
    ron.martell@gmail.com, Ron Martell says...
    > ByTor <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote:
    >

    > >I understand XP is built on Win2k, that is what took me by suprise....I
    > >don't knock XP it's just that it was very odd that an exact duplicate
    > >withered away due to crashes, blue screens etc......All software I have
    > >installed all claims XP compatible, I have "latest" versions of
    > >all......I remember back when with 2K that it took a bit for the rest of
    > >the software world to catch up to it, there was a time when very little
    > >was compatible as it was not an average consumer OS, I'm hoping XP may
    > >have the same cycle. But, than again, if it's based on the same NT why
    > >the trouble? It's really no big deal but as I mentioned my 2K partition
    > >has been through hell and back with uninstalls, upgrades, updates, etc,
    > >and is still rock solid.
    > >I'll have to give it another go sometime maybe things have changed.....
    >
    > Make sure your XP is update to Service Pack 2 before you install the
    > applications. Best way to do this is to make a new install CD with
    > SP2 slipstreamed into it. A neat utility for doing this is Nlite
    > (free) from http://www.nliteos.com/
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    Already have it burned & slipstreamed thanks........ ;0)

    I just upgraded from W2K Pro to XP Pro and it went very smoothly. I had one
    minor problem - the driver for my Gigabit LAN card weren't installed and I
    had to get updated ones from the ASUS website. Other than that, everthing is
    fine....

    MD

    "R." wrote:

    > Simple question: upgrade -or- backup data, format (NTSF) HD and fresh
    > install? Tks!

Windows XP Backup Microsoft HD Format