sailer

Splendid
If you really know your way around motherboards and BIOS settings, the DFI board would be best. Don't expect much help from DFI, however, as their intended buyers are expects who already know this stuff.

I personally would recommend the ASUS board, as it overclocks fairly easy and is an all round good board. Others may argue for the Gigabyte board. Each of these boards are good, with individual strengths and weaknesses.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
I would either go for the Asus or Gigabyte. Both are great manufacturers. I would probably lean towards the Asus since the upper end of that series is considered some of the best X38 motherboards on the market. DFI I am really not a big fan. They are usually good overclockers, but I am not impressed with their build quality especially compared to Asus and Gigabyte. Also like the separate sound card on the Asus.

goofy me

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
No matter what MOBO you get.... the biggest issue is with the BIOS and BIOS support/updates.

Buying the latest(newest and greatest) isn't neccessarily the best bet.

Carefully consider what you intend to use and build or expand with the new MotherBoard.

Computer Magazine reviews don't always inform you of incompatibilty
with other products. Certain problems arise from Connector layouts and Wiring.
Beware of AMR Slots and CNR Ports as they serve next to no purpose.

2 choices ...Intel or AMD...which one..then look for the motherboard with appropriate CPU Socket.

Narrow your search to a half dozen MOBO's and then do research.
From there decide and buy.

You won't regret it when you do your own HomeWork, rather than letting someone making your decision.

You'll be Proud of your own Accomplishments.."You Can Do It"

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
There is some difference but I don't know if it is enough to pay the difference. I think the X38 is an excellent chipset. If I were going for ddr3 then I would go for the new Nvidia 790i, it's the fastest.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
"2 choices ...Intel or AMD...which one..then look for the motherboard with appropriate CPU Socket. "

Unfortunately if your building a high end system there is only one choice at this point. I hope AMD and ATI get with the program soon. I can't take another year of stagnant video cards.

karol4

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Intel is way better than AMD atm, I guess I will go with the asus x38 after reading the reviews, it looks like a solid mother board.