hotspot_102

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
ok

this is my psu http://www.silverstonetek.com/produc...no=st60f&area=

bleepty one i know. However im a little confused if my 12v rail has 18amps but it says pci express, an my gpu needs 26amps does that mean i need to combine rails with the little connectors. Or does that mean the powersupply will transfer amps from unused rails to the one connected to my gpu.

ps either my mobo/psu/mobo came with a connector with a 6 pin at one end and 2 4pins at the other, so i used that to combine the 2 4 pins however i dont know if this is giving me enough amps.

Would my gpu still run without enough amps?

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
The 26 Amps requirement is for the entire system.

As to your question: Just combine two regular molex connectors into the splitter provided with your GPU. If you've got a dedicated PCI-E plug on your PSU, just use that instead and see if it works. Worst case scenario is that it doesn't boot up because there isn't another power.

Would my gpu still run without enough amps?
Doubtful. Most likely it would just refuse to boot and give you the one long beep + three short beeps error code.

pous

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
If your PSU is rated for 18a on the 12v and your GPU requires 26a... this isn't going to work.

It might be ok if you run at low resolution and don't play any games, but other than that it just sounds like you're asking for trouble.