Sign in with
Your question

Port not detected in device Manager

Last response: in Windows XP
July 24, 2010 5:16:56 PM

Trying to fix my computer to connect to inet. Trouble shooting says to go into device mananger and select ports and check the COM are enabled, but when in the Device Mnager, there is no POrt just an icon with exlamation mark. Is there a software like mr fixit that can handle this problem?
a b \ Driver
July 25, 2010 4:02:40 AM

jrmyqualls said:
Trying to fix my computer to connect to inet. Trouble shooting says to go into device mananger and select ports and check the COM are enabled, but when in the Device Mnager, there is no POrt just an icon with exlamation mark. Is there a software like mr fixit that can handle this problem?

Are you on Dial-up using an old modem, or are you using and old serial modem?

It's been years since I've seen any network equipment that connects by the serial port, except some "Air-Cards" for use with 3G systems in laptops, but they establish their own ports.

Your serial port(s) may not be set correctly in the BIOS.
If the port(s) are disabled, enable them. If given a choice of what interrupt to use, Com Port 1 uses interrupt 4.

If it is enabled in the BIOS, you need to Update the driver.

Click:

Start>Settings>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Ports (Com & LPT)>Communications Port (Com 1), Right-Click and select "Update Driver">"Install the software automatically."

If you get rejected, (says no better driver is available)

Select Update Driver again, this time Specify "install from a list or specific location (advanced)."

Click "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install. Click Next.

Click on the first Communications Port driver showing. Click Next.

The driver gets re-installed. Click Finish.

See if error is gone.

m
l
Related resources
!