building a second computer on the cheap

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I'm sticking with AMD for this because I already have AMD parts laying around, and my budget wont get me to the point were Intel outperforms AMD.

I need a second computer. its HTPC useage will be its most demanding use.

The only thing yet to be figured out is what graphics go were.

I currently have an Nvidia 6150 MoBo and a 7900GS card

I want an AM2+ board for future upgrades.

I figure I have 3 options.

1. Main - as is now, 7900GS. 2nd - 780G with OBG
2. Main - 780G w/ 3450 hybid. 2nd - 6150, sell the 7900
3. Main - 7900GS in SLI. 2nd - 6150

option 1 looks the best to me. definatly have the best secondary computer graphics.

option 2 would be about the same price 7900GS get about $50 on ebay, the same as a new 3450. How would a 7900GS compare to a Hybrid crossfire 3450?

option 3 wouldn't be all that expensive, but I'd need a new case (not a bad thing) and my 500w PSU might be borderline. The real downside is there are no SLI capable motherboard that fully support the AM2+ socket.

option 2 is the most energy efficient option 3 the worst.
options 1 + 2 give the most options for upgrades, option 3 the fewest.

As I said leaving my main computer as it is and setting the second computer up seperate looks the best to me, but If I could hybrid crossfire up to comperable graphics w/DX10 suport with lower energy cost, I may do that instead.

the third option only crossed my mind when I saw how cheap 7900GSs go for on ebay these days. unless someone knows of a SLI capable AM2+ board soon to be released, it wont happen for me.