Sign in with
Your question

HP Bios help

Last response: in Motherboards
April 27, 2008 3:14:49 PM

I have an HP DV9035NR. HP says that the max memory is 2 gig. but according to Intel's website and the chipset in the laptop, it should be able to go to 4 gigs. is this a limitation from HP and the BIOS and if so, is there a way to hack the BIOS or reflash it with another version so i can use the chipset to the max. any help would be great.

More about : bios

April 27, 2008 3:23:20 PM

This is what I read on the HP web site.

"Most HP notebooks (normally computers with a 32-bit operating system) can support up to 2 GB of RAM; however, some models (normally those with a 64-bit operating system) can support up to 4 GB of RAM."

So what operating system are you running?

Here is the link to the page.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...
April 27, 2008 3:25:34 PM

rex2040 said:
I have an HP DV9035NR. HP says that the max memory is 2 gig. but according to Intel's website and the chipset in the laptop, it should be able to go to 4 gigs. is this a limitation from HP and the BIOS and if so, is there a way to hack the BIOS or reflash it with another version so i can use the chipset to the max. any help would be great.

It could either be limited by bios or motherboard. There's more on the motherboard than just chipset. The motherboard hardware may not support more than 2gb even if the chipset does.

You can ask HP for updated bios, if they exist. But they usually don't update bios to give existing machines more performance, unlike independent motherboard manufacturers. They'd rather you spend on money on a new computer than upgrading. :p 
Related resources
April 27, 2008 3:43:49 PM

HP, as well as many other companies, lock the BIOS so that what you get is all that you'll ever have. This prevents the customer from doing anything that would make for warranty claims or tie up their service people. It may be possible to hack into the BIOS and try to flash it, but that could easy disable it entirely. As to the chipset, its as dagger wrote, the chipset is only part of the mobo, wo if the mobo only supports 2 gig of ram, then that's all it can do.

Doing upgrades to HPs and other big company machines is usually very limited. A close look would show that virtually all the hardware and software they ship is anywhere from 6 months to a year old. This is done to insure reliability, They don't want anything going out that might cause problems, because they don't want to pay service people, advice techs, etc. Of course, that's also part of the reason why their machines are so cheap. If you want a computer with flexibility, you either have to buy one of the more expensive computers (Alienware, NWF, etc), order a semi-custom computer from a company like Cyberpower, or build one yourself.
April 28, 2008 3:03:38 PM

Well then, i would like to thank everyone for their input. i guess i will just stick with upgrading to faster memory that is 2 gig. G.Skill and Kinston make some killer memory with a CL4 at 667mhz instead of the 333mhz that its running at now. The memory that its in it now, i have never even heard of the stuff. oh well. As for the question i am running Vista 32bit, but if i was to get 4 gig, if it was possiable i would get Vista 64bit. but i will just stick with what i have for now. maybe get a new laptop in a year or so. again thank you everyone that responded. if you have any other input or ideas how i could get more ram out of my laptop i am all open. :bounce: 
!