Sign in with
Your question

Windows xp on laptop won't boot up

Last response: in Windows XP
July 25, 2010 2:28:41 AM

Hello,

My Windows XP on my laptop won't boot up in a safe or windows mode. What do I need to do or try to get it to at least a dos screen or safe mode so I can can disk?

Also, when IT DOES go to the the Windows XP starting screen, the "BLUE PROGRESS BAR" freezes up
occasionally at the "LAST BLUE BUBBLE IN THE PROGRESS BAR" and freezes to a complete stop and won't continue to open. You have to try and shut down and reset the power button.

What's up with that? Is there someway to bypass that?

BTW-Starting the computer with
f-8 held down does not go to the administrator screen either.

AARRGGHH!! ANYONE OUT THERE WITH ANSWERS, PLEASE HELP OUT.

Thank you,

Mike C.

More about : windows laptop boot

July 25, 2010 2:54:55 AM

deer hunter said:
Hello,

My Windows XP on my laptop won't boot up in a safe or windows mode. What do I need to do or try to get it to at least a dos screen or safe mode so I can can disk?

<snip>

BTW-Starting the computer with
f-8 held down does not go to the administrator screen either.

<snip>

Mike C.

Don't "hold" any key when starting your computer. "Peck" at the F8 key once per second until the Windows Boot menu appears (if it will).

From there you can select Safe Mode.

If your machine won't start, perhaps Safe Mode is not the best thing to try, at first. Try selecting to start with "Last Known Good Configuration" and if works, you're in business.

If it won't start, then try starting in Safe Mode.

If it will start in safe mode, it will eventually offer a choice to continue on into Safe Mode, or to perform a Restore Point rollback.

Here, you may choose to do the rollback. Valid Restore Points are shown in bold in the calendar. Go to the second-to-the last restore point day (my idea) as the last restore point may include your problem and would get restored with that problem. It worked the day before the last restore point, so that's my choice of which one to restore with.

If it will not do any of the above, a "Repair" needs to be done.

Go here to see the process...

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244555-45-performing-...

m
l
!