NT3.5 Question

ribel

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2004
I'm trying to get a W98 workstation hooked up to a small, but old network, where the server is running NT3.5 and there a six workstations running a combination of W95 & W98.

I do not know much about network administration, but am capable of messing around with networks, having 3 pc's networked at work.

Back to the NT client/server network, I have looked at the settings on the other clients and made them the same (ie protocol (NETBUI in this case), domain name, etc. The network card seems to be functioning ok, as I get green lights at both ends. I've added the new PC to the NT3.5 server's setting, again using the same settings as the other clients. But I can't log on to the server. On all the other clients, after you enter your log in name and password, the client PC runs a login.bat script which is located on the server. This uses the net command to map network drives, etc. But I can't get the new client to log on to the server and run the batch file.

Do I need to do anything like run some sort of network installation disk on the client in order to set it up? There are not many settings in NT3.5 (it's ancient isn't it?), but there is an option to create network installation disks. But it asks for the source and destination of the setup files, and this is where I get stuck down this particular avenue.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Sean Nixon