Sign in with
Your question

Setting up RAID 5 with Intel Matrix Storage Manager & XP

Last response: in Storage
April 14, 2009 9:56:52 PM

Hello All,

I am new to all this RAID stuff so bear with me here....

I am trying to set up a file server to store media and what not. I bought a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R v1.1 motherboard and 4 1.5 TB HDD. Hooked everything up including an extra 250 GB HDD for the OS (Windows XP). I installed XP on the 250 GB HDD without a problem. I then pressed Ctrl + I to enter into the Intel Matrix Storage Manager BIOS configuration to set up the RAID array. I added the 4 1.5 TB HDD to an array and it took FOREVER to initialize (over 24 hours, is this normal?). It finally finished so I went to My Computer and I see no array. I thought the array would show up as a storage device in My Computer. Is that not correct? Do I have to format the array? If so, how do I do this because I don't see an option to format the entire array in the Intel Matrix Storage Manager?

I used Gparted to format the drives but this formats them individually so they show up individually in My Computer. I want them to show up as one drive so the data is stripped across all 4 drives. So the end result should be 1 drive for the OS (250 GB HDD) and 1 drive for stroage (4 1.5 TB HDD showing as 1 - data stripped across all). How do I achieve this?

Thanks in advance!!!

-Jon-
April 14, 2009 11:54:02 PM

Have you tried it with two of the drives drives in raid 1? 4 * 1.5 TB disks in RAID 5 is 3.5GB capacity, and you might be having an issue with >2 TB size depending on how you formatted the drive (I think).

Also - did you configure your SATA controller in the BIOS to RAID instead of IDE?
April 15, 2009 1:07:13 AM

basalt51 said:
Have you tried it with two of the drives drives in raid 1? 4 * 1.5 TB disks in RAID 5 is 3.5GB capacity, and you might be having an issue with >2 TB size depending on how you formatted the drive (I think).

Also - did you configure your SATA controller in the BIOS to RAID instead of IDE?

Thanks for your reply!

I do have the SATA controller configured as RAID in the BIOS, I double checked.

I tried your first suggestion and the drive showed up. So I guess this means XP 32-Bit doesn't support drives greater then 2 TB? I googled it and it seems like there is some confusion on that point. If I install a 64-Bit OS will that solve that problem?

Thanks,

-Jon-
April 15, 2009 4:41:20 AM

32-bit XP does not support any disk (or RAID volume) greater than 2TB. XP64 does. Also Vista 64 and Vista 32 will support volumes over 2TB. You will also find that you need to initialize the drive in Windows Disk Manager using GPT instead of MBR in order to use all of the space on a >2TB volume (MBR is inherently limited to 2TB).

!